Ram 1500 w/Air Suspension?

• Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Thinking about upgrading to a new truck…currently in an ’09 RAM 1500. Love it, but the one limitation has been the coil springs don’t handle load as well as other trucks with leaf springs. When I hook up my Skeeter the rear end of the truck sinks significantly…and yes, I’ve adjusted tongue weight and slid the boat back some on the trailer.

The new 2013 RAM’s have an available air bag option, I assume this is directly to address the payload/towing capacity reductions that come with the coil springs. The promos and you-tube videos make it look great, I’m wondering if anyone has first-hand experience? Has anyone been driving one of the new RAM 1500 trucks with the “Active-Level 4-Corner Air Suspension” installed?

Active Level You Tube Videos

ted-merdan

i added air bags to my suv for just that reason as an aftermarket option. i went with the manual that I fill myself but they also have a version that comes with a pump and you can level from the inside of the vehicle. just an option for you to consider vs the cost of a new truck.

-ted

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I may have a brand new set of Firestone air bags that will fit that truck

PM me details of your truck..year size and if 4×4.. I will look tonite when off work.

Zach H

Just bought my skeeter little while ago. My truck could handle it but I wanted the extra help for the ride and to take the sag out of the back end. I installed the Firestone air bags, and they work great! I ordered from autoanything.com The customer service that they have is top notch! They were the cheapest price by a long shot. Shipping and handling were also free. They also gave me a 10% discount off the top of the price when I called and ordered of the phone. My air bags shipped to my house only cost me $256.00

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

thanks for the input, guys. it sounds like good results with air bags to stiffen up the back end and fight sag while towing.

the experiences shared seem to be with static “pump it up and go” systems. a couple hundred bucks for manual pump air bags in back is a lot less expensive than this automatic 4-wheel system…but it looks like this auto system also has more versatility? has anyone used a dynamic auto-leveling system like the one available on the new RAM models?

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have, on the RAM of course. The self leveling system on the RAM, is used to increase fuel mileage, make entry and exit easier and also to improve the ride, when towing or hauling. It is most noticeable to me, for getting into the truck, especially when the mother in law needs a ride, she can get in easily without running boards.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

MIL.. Nice G.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

…. has anyone used a dynamic auto-leveling system like the one available on the new RAM models?

I have the auto-leveling air suspension on my 2003 Olds Bravada. This is part of the package that boosted the towing capacity of the Bravada (GMC Envoy) from a standard 5000 max to 6000 max.

My fishing boat is just a tin can, so not needed for that. But the family fun boat is a 22 foot Wellcraft cuddy with a 454 and with fuel and dual axel trailer, so it’s weighing in at about 4500 dry. With the self-leveling, it pulls like a dream.

It works great and I’d hate to be without it. Compared to anything half-ton sized without this, well, there is no comparison. The vehicle rides level, there’s no bucking or sway, essentially the ride is the same as when there’s nothing back there. But compared to just going with heavier springs, the REAL beneifit is when you’re not towing, you don’t have do drive something that rides like a 1870s buckboard wagon on a bad road.

Grouse

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

You might want to check out Timbrens.

They work like airbags but they don’t have air in them. Just very sturdy rubber.

Install them and never have to deal with putting air in them. Very easy installation. It took me about a half hour to do.

I put a set on my F150 for when I have the camper in the box and pulling my boat.

I bought a set for $169.00 on Amazon.com

http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

thanks for the all the suggestions.

i ended up buying a RAM 1500 that does not have the air suspension. just too hard to find one right now in combination with the other options i wanted.

so i’ll get an aftermarket set, just trying to decide on which one. now that i’ve gone away from the full auto, i’m actually inclined to get a manual fill set for the rear axle. i only need it for longer trips, and i always top off my trailer tires before i go anyway, so filling the air bags would be no problem. looking at the airlift 1000 and the timbren rubber…pretty comparable in price. anyone have experience with the airlift?

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I had the Airlift 1000 over 20 years ago and they worked great. I had the manual fill. Installed the filler stem at the bottom of the bumper near the hitch.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.