I have a few loose screws……

• fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

At least that is what my wife keeps telling me.

Do you guys have problems with the hardware in your boat loosening or comes completely out after a rough day on the water or long road trips? I find my self tightening the seat base and seat screws on a regular basis as well as some other hardware. I was considering using Lok-Tite on the screws.

Any suggestions???????

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

It happens all the time to me. I keep tools in my boat all the time in case i catch something that’s ready to fall out. But i would check it after every outing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

By the subject line…I thought this was my post…but forgot about it!

I have the same problem. I keep a small tube of bathroom caulk in my boat. When a screw (mostly the seats) falls out…a little dab and sticker back in. I ‘spose if I took the time out from fishing and just did all of them I would be done….But you have to set your priorities!

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Yup me to! Things just seem to losen up with time and rough water. I go thru at least 2 seat bases a year if I fish the lake a lot.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Anyone that spends alot of time on a big water lake will tell you that this can be naturally expected. Screws and nuts and fasteners of all kinds get fatigued during wave abuse!

Some guys use Lock-tite like you mentioned to help in threaded applications. Alot of people will actually nylon nut or lock washer and nut the back side of a screw. (where access is applicable) This gives you that added assurance while on the water during a tournament of a vacation trip.

Dustin…..Sounds like you need to loose some weight!!

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Steve- You come up with some pretty good wise cracks
    I find myself tightening down seat pedestals a few times a year.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Dustin…..Sounds like you need to loose some weight!!

All right you wise A%& .Don’t make me come over there

StaleMackrel

Hi, Like most of you I have had the same problem until I started to use clear silicone on the loose screws. One good dose and no more problem with that screw@

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Gee, I don’t have that problem. Can’t decide if its cause I weigh so much that the seat base can’t move or is it cause I do my best to stay out of rough water.
    Thanks, Bill

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I just started using “removable” loctite (I wanna be able to take the screw out again if I need to), so far so good, I figure it will work much better to hold things on, and a lock nut is a perfect idea, if it works for your bolts, of course it’s doesn’t in mine… If we were actually talking screws, I don’t know much of anything that will really help, maybe sometype of durable anchor .

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Thank you for the ideas Guys.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.