On Board Chargers

• dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Just wondering what people use out there for their onboad chargers. I use a 6 amp charger (Maxi) and wondering if I should get a new 10 amp one to get me a quicker charge.
    Just wondering other people’s thought.
    Thanks,
    a

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have a Guest 2613. I think it’s 15 amp?
    Works great.

kenwarren
    Olin, Iowa

I have a 10 amp per bank from Dual-Pro. It is great. I had a 5-amp per bank and it worked fine except when I was trying to charge over night. If I fished hard on Saturday I’d run out of juice late on Sunday because the batteries were not getting full overnight.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Here is a pic of my 12 volt on board charger, it puts out 1.5 amps a very slow charge. You can pick one of these up at fleet farm or Batteries Plus for around $29. This one works good for me because I do not fish every day so there is plenty of time between trips for the battery to charge up. This is also a good unit for when you store your rig in the winter as it will maintain and prolong the life of your batteries. I plug mine in when I get home and forget about it and I am good to go the time out. If you need your batteries charged up over night or if you fish almost every day this might not be the unit for you.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I’ve always heard a slower charge is better FWIW. That and are you that much of a fishing animal to need to charge things that quickly? I only have a 12 volt system for my trolling motor, and only a 6 amp charger, but have never had problems having enough charge for one day, and having it recharged for the next, even when a rare day comes around that I actually kill most of the juice in my trolling battery. I would bet the 6 is fine, and even if it wasn’t enough, and assuming you gotta trailer the boat a bit, I’d get one of the trailering charger, so you can charge the batteries on the way to the lake, for the around the same amount of money you’d spend on the bigger charger.

danwi
    westby wi

i have a 30 amp 3 bank charger an i love it.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all the opinions and I will need to take all that into account.
    With the amount of time that I seem to get out a 10 amp probably would suit me better in the future. I know that this site sells them also.

Thanks for all the replies again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.