Bunk VS Roller style Trailer

• Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Going to order new lund alaskan next week trying to decide on a shorelander bunk or roller trailer. Any opinions pros or cons appreciated. Does one have more support than the other?

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

The bigger the boat. I would lean towards bunks. They support the overall weight more evenly. Rollers are easier if you have to deal with shallow landings on a regular basis.

FDR

TJ
    Hammond, WI

I have a roller style for a 16.5′ crestliner. I prefer it over the bunk style because many lakes in WI I fish have no power loading restriction. Roller style is easier to crank up while on land. Also works better for shallow landings as already mentioned. I don’t know if I would get roller style for anything over 17.5-18′ though.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Have my first bunk trailer after several with rollers. Wish I had my roller trailer back. Shallow launches area require that I back the truck into the water…sometimes need to use hip boots to get in and out of the truck. Lund 1875 ProV.
    bestfishes – jim

drew-evans
    rochester MN

bunks all the way!! easier to load in current supports boat better i think it is easier loading on your own, because you do not need to crank boat up in my experiences with my 17′ boat i can load easily in shallow landings current and at busy landings if you have a partner with you you can unhook boat from trailer back them in and off the trailer without even getting out of truck and no worries of dumping boat on ramp like you would do with a roller trailer. two negatives i can think of are your boat could freeze to bunks if you fish in winter weather (just take a little while of waiting to thaw out after backing in water and the other one is that after time you may need to replace bunks if they ever rot.

joemama
    North St Paul

the bigger the boat the more need for a bunk trailer 18 ft fiber glass loads perfect every time.doesn’t shift around sits lower on the trailer.. shallow landings are a problem

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Just went through this same exercise on ordering my rig last week. Ordered an Alumacraft 175 competitor. Weighted the bunk vs roller options long and hard. Talked to friends and dealers alike. Everyone has a preference or opinion. For me the decision was rollers. If the rig is matched with the boat you can’t make a bad decision. I preferred the roller due to the launches I frequent and my bunk trailer on my old rig was a beast to launch and load on shallow launches.

Think about where you fish and where you want to fish. My though was the rollers give you more options on sketchy launches.

D

Palerider77

I have had both, currently have bunks and would never get another roller trailer. Bunks are easier on the boat, much easier to land the boat especially in current. Launching by yourself takes practice when there is no dock. Bunks are a better choice IMHO.

soldiersdad1
    La Crosse, WI

I’ve had both. I have bunks now and will have them from now on. I’ve got a 16′ Tuffy V-Hull with a 60hp Johnson. I fish and launch all types of water, including some very shallow landings. I’ve never had a problem getting off/on the trailer. If you decide to go with bunks, I’d strongly recommend putting E-Z Slide Trailer Pads or similar type pads/slicks on the bunks. I have them on all 3 of my rigs trailers and would never be without them. Makes it very easy to get boat off/on trailer, saves wear and tear on the carpeted bunks and the bottom of the boat. The pads/slicks come in a variety of sizes, prices and quantities per set. Depending on how long your bunks and how you want to set them up. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to contact me. Hope this helps you somewhat. Good luck on with your decision making.

liar
    Lakeville

The only thing is see left to mention is if you fish in the winter.
    Boats don’t freeze to roller trailers.

Duke M

All I can add is if you go with bunks, spray them with silicone boot dressing. After you do that do not unhook the boat until you have it over water. It could slide off as you back down the ramp. One good spray lasts all season.

Duke

rvrrunner

I have a 2007 Alaskan 1800 with a shorelander roller trailer. If you launch in shallow water, it is the only way to go. I wouldn’t worry about the hull on that boat, my cousin has a 94 Alaskan that he has taken to hell and back and there is no hull damage from the rollers. I launch in high current frequently and do not have any problem with loading, but it would be more difficult to master for someone that had to load their boat in current infrequently.

jerry b
    western WI

I’m currently experimenting with a recycled uncarpeted plastic bunk board. I put’m on last winter and have not yet had the opportunity to get’m wet. If I’m right, I’ll have the best of both worlds- -support and ease of loading & unloading. My problem with carpeting is the place for invasives to hide, and if you power unload or load, there’s a great amount of sand getting trapped in the carpeting. Time will tell if my brainstorm is going to pay off or not. jerr

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.