Did the hype kill Tebow?

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

An interesting article on Yahoo Sports suggested as much.

Tebow’s been on the market for what amounts to an eternity in today’s NFL with no takers. Not even any teams up in Canadaland are looking his way. What gives?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl–tim-tebow-blackballed-by-nfl-teams-because-of-cult-like-following–media-frenzy-054940389.html

Did Twitter, the Blogesphere, the rabid TebowFans, and the whole very-out-front Christian thing, kill Tebow?

There’s no point in bringing up his stats here, because 1 year does not a career make. Also, rookie QBs are fickle creatures and so just like pointing to college numbers isn’t a reliable incdicator of pro potential, so too is diving into rookie stats trying to progect career stats.

The thing that just strikes me as really off here is that with many players who get the cold shoulder, it’s all because of THEM. Vick, Moss, etc.

Very few (if any) really reliable, insiders who actually know Tebow have anything bad to say about him.

So what gives? I’m thinking of quite a few teams out there who would have nothing whatsoever to lose by signing Tebow. Including… … well, we won’t go there.

Salary demands MAY be an issue, but I’d say right now they are much less an issue than they would have been 2 weeks ago because Tebow’s stock must have taken a serious beating by sitting on the shelf.

Grouse

jd318
    NE Nebraska

For what it worth, the Omaha Beef (indoor league) did extend him an offer.

I feel the issue with Tebow is he isn’t an NFL QB. He should let it be known that he is open to changing positions. He’s an athlete, but not a NFL QB. Much like Eric Crouch, Antwaan Randle El, and Kordell Stewart. 2 of the 3 switched positions and made a roster. If Tebow wants to play in the NFL, he’ll need to change positions.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

If the decision was solely based on football ability then somebody would take a chance. But when the circus comes to town is the upside worth the downside? No, I don’t think so either.

Christianity is a non-factor. This is the NFL you are talking about. Murder, rape, drugs, assault, drunken driving are a thing that surprises nobody.

What you have is a very nice human being that possesses marginal ability to play quarterback in the NFL. Plus, the Jets absolutely screwed the guy.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

As a casual observer I would guess his religious behavior turned people off. Few people can stand a zealot of any kind contantly shoving things down their throat.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

As a casual observer I would guess his religious behavior turned people off. Few people can stand a zealot of any kind contantly shoving things down their throat.

Is taking a knee and bowing your head any different then the guys who point to the heavans? Religion can turn people off but in my opinion the media drove that ship not Tebow.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

In the end I think he decided his own fate.

bigpike

I never got the whole Tebow thing. He has been sensationalized by ESPN and there constant Tebow mania crap. He is an over blown product of there system. IMHO

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

I’m one of the guys who gets turned off by overly religious displays (especially by the guys who have a criminal record), but I don’t think the stuff Tebow did was over the top at all. He never did it in the middle of the end zone or anything like that.

It’s his fans and his detractors alike who are the ones making a big deal of it. Would you rather have a guy who kneels down silently when he scores a TD like Tebow, or someone who’s a distraction like TO or any of the other guys who clearly aren’t team players and cause even bigger distractions on and off the field?

I haven’t watched a football game in years, but I know that the guy is a hell of an athlete and is too talented to just leave him out altogether. He may be a horrible QB, but he’s got great talent that could be used elsewhere.

john-o
    Hastings, MN

Let’s say Tebow’s out spoken faith hurt him, contrast that to a pro basketball player “coming out” and is considered a hero. Interesting!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Let’s say Tebow’s out spoken faith hurt him, contrast that to a pro basketball player “coming out” and is considered a hero. Interesting!

Just look at what our state congress is voting on right now and you’ve answered that question.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Maybe he should come out as being [censored] like the NBA player then he would be treated as a hero and martyr by the media. Pro sports are a sad reflection of our current state of society.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I’m going in the opposite direction on this one…Remember the run he had in Denver after taking over? I’d love to see what the guy could do over 3 years (never going to happen but I’d still like to see it…). You cannot deny that the guy is a winner. Heck, look at his college and his NFL win %. Pretty darn good. Talent as an NFL quarterback is certainly questionable but what cannot be questioned is what he brings to the locker room and huddle. I’d rather not “Ponder” on if my quarterback was good enough to win the game, I’d rather just win it…RR

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Quote:

BBKK
    IA

I would imagine it was because of him being in the spotlight his whole “career” (if you can call it that). All the talk we hear about him is about his faith, his followers, or whatever he is doing in his personal life. If he would have stopped all of that crap and focused seriously about his career and not his faith or virtual friends then he probably would have learned a lot from the jets and would be on a team right now. Teams just want a hard working skilled QB, not some pretty-boy in the spotlight.

As I re-read this, that did not come out right. He can focus on his faith all he wants, that is a good thing. But don’t make it who you are when you are competing for a job as a NFL QB.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

I’m one of the guys who gets turned off by overly religious displays (especially by the guys who have a criminal record), but I don’t think the stuff Tebow did was over the top at all. He never did it in the middle of the end zone or anything like that.

Seriously? Every single time the camera went to him he thanked god, recited a bible verse, and then told how his faith in god made him score the TD or win the game. It was constant never ending, I never heard him speak on TV once without saying something religious.

Never did it in the middle of the endzone? Every time he scored he stopped and did his bow. When they won he would do it on the sideline.

PB2

Quote:

Not even any teams up in Canadaland are looking his way. What gives?

Is this a joke or a bit?

NEWS FLASH: He doesn’t have anything close to a NFL or Pro anything arm. He can’t throw

Captain Obvious!

Nothing to with religion, the media, the jets “LOL” or any other insane notion floating about the web.

I tell ya! Yahoo sports nabs another couple million rubes with there non-sense.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

IMHO, if more of us were not afraid to humbly express our faith in God, maybe our leaders would be praising us as much as those who “come out of the closet”.

Tim Tebow’s christian life style has been consistent since he was a youngster…Parents are missionaries…He is what he is… Whether he succeeds in Pro football or not will not change that.
    I don’t think that he seeks to force God on anyone…just seeks to tell them whom he gives the credit to for his gifts.
    I guess I just came out of my closet…

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Well said Tom G!

tbrooks11

Like Rooster said, hes a proven winner. Why not take him in, atleast as a back up? If he werent in NY for the past year he would still have a job. Hell, everyone says hes not an NFL qb, but you saw that run denver made with him at the helm. Even got a playoff victory. Thats much more than most QB’s can say now a days. For a team has a balanced offense (not so pass heavy like GB) i dont see why they wouldnt pick him up as a back up. As long as he isnt in NY he wont be such a distraction.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

quote]

Seriously? Every single time the camera went to him he thanked god, recited a bible verse, and then told how his faith in god made him score the TD or win the game. It was constant never ending, I never heard him speak on TV once without saying something religious.

Never did it in the middle of the endzone? Every time he scored he stopped and did his bow. When they won he would do it on the sideline.

Really? Every time the camera was on him?

hnd

ZOMG HE THANKED GOD HOW DARE HE SHOVE HIS RELIGION DOWN OUR THROATS!!!

liar
    Lakeville

For me religion is a private personal matter. After all which God is the real God. If we were born in Iraq today what God would we believe in.( that is all I will say on the matter).

Soooooooooooooooo we have gang bangers, alleged murderers and some general gun toting goons in the NFL. But no one offers him a job because of his religion. LMAO. If he had enough talent he would be on a team.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Along the same lines, I wonder if Kluwe was whacked due to his focus on everything but football?

hnd

the nfl like no other sport is very much a team oriented sport. if you are going to be loud, outspoken, and individualized, you better be the best at your craft. kluwe has always been a marginal punter.

take a quick look at the past. moss was completely unwanted after a while. then he resurrected his career somewhat as a more quiet guy. terrell owens and chad johnson are without a doubt better receivers today than some of the rostered wr’s in the league….but they are jobless in the nfl.

hnd

Quote:

For me religion is a private personal matter. After all which God is the real God. If we were born in Iraq today what God would we believe in.( that is all I will say on the matter).

the idea that religion should be a personal private endeavor is a fallacy. every decision a person makes, every statement is foundationally molded by their worldview whether you want it to or not.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

Interesting enough… watch all the Adrian Peterson interviews you can after his wins/scores/MVP winning, etc. AP is quite religous as well. I saw numerous interviews of him during his record run and MVP status… and he touched on God and his faith NUMEROUS times… more than I have seen most players do.

On a side note… I would gladly trade one Christian for another Christian (Ponder for Tebow). At least Tebow can win a game.

liar
    Lakeville

Quote:

Quote:

the idea that religion should be a personal private endeavor is a fallacy. every decision a person makes, every statement is foundationally molded by their worldview whether you want it to or not.

Please read the first two words again. What I believe in is not a fallacy. If others choose to live their life differently, I don’t judge them. It is their right to live their life as they see fit. I just wanted to clarify that these are my personal feelings. I don’t feel that others need to see it my way.

hnd

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please read the first two words again. What I believe in is not a fallacy. If others choose to live their life differently, I don’t judge them. It is their right to live their life as they see fit. I just wanted to clarify that these are my personal feelings. I don’t feel that others need to see it my way.

i don’t meant to make this into an argument, its not my intention. all i’m stating is keeping it personal and private is impossible. just you stating your beliefs here is proof of that.

liar
    Lakeville

No worries hnd. Simply a discussion. I hope I didn’t come off sounding angry or offended, one of the downsides of the internet. I’m fine with what’s been said.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.