Are “Spots” sacred, or a tradable commodity?

• dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I pose a question, since we are all on this site to become better fisherman (or at least share our love for the sport), is it possible through the private message system, to begin a GPS “Spot” exchange. I know what you are thinking, because I’m thinking it too, how can I be sure I am getting something good in return for my digital gold.
    That, I believe is the part we need to figure out.

Good Cabbage beds on Mille Lacs for example, change every year, these spots are like $5.00 bills. Inside/Outside turns on the reefs $10.00, and so on. The idea is to trade with others who have equally good spots.

So, I’m going to Mille Lacs this weekend for Musky opener, I haven’t spent minute one, in Cove or Wahkon bays this year and will probably start where I found fish last year. It would be great if I could trade a spot on the Tundra or Graveyard, or wherever for a couple of fresh green weedbeds adjacent to some deeper water. And so on….

This is just an idea, and I understand that for some their income is based on knowing these spots and keeping them a secret, but I have lots of “secret” spots that I’ve driven nine miles out to, only to find two other boats on it.

Dan

Hawg Hunters Guide Service

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Interesting post. Many people on here already trade secret spots with others they have come to know and trust. I know I do. There’s a couple of people on this site I’d give my hottest spots to anytime, gladly because I know they won’t exploit it. On a different note I’ll bet some people cringe when they see the good information available on this website and others. Information that use to take years to accumulate. Secret spots/techniques are given up every day.
    To your point I think you’ll find people that will be willing to trade/share spots with you. Especially after they get to know you better by reading your posts on this site.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

If you can read a map, time spent on the water from trial and error will only create more secret spots for yourself. The time,money and fatigue spent on finding quality spots are priceless to some.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I agree with derek, The time spent out on the water looking and checking for new spots is hard to do, especially when your honey holes don’t produce. I made myself a promise this year, I am fishing my favorite lake a few times this summer, but I will not fish my honey holes until i have tried a few new spots. I think that the more time you have on the water trying different techniques, lures, baits, trying to fish until you are soooo tired. them spots for me would be hard to trade. just go and try to fish the lake in spots that you would think that fish would be there.

shane

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Interesting idea, I don’t think I’d know many spots that people already didn’t know about, but that’s probably because my time on the water is always so split with mulitple different lakes and rivers. Personally I don’t have any problem telling other members, or even people out fishing the same spot as me about what is working for me. I do have reservations about putting in writing (online) a hot lake or spot, because there are far, far too many people that log on to the site, to check reports and such, for them, it’s all take and no give, which is fine, and I don’t have a problem with this. Of course in the end I’m sure those who share are going to end up fairing much better in the long run, I guess I’d feel a bit cheated if I put all the time and effort into finding fish or a hotspot, and have someone else take advantage of it for “free”. If I thought I could help out another member, I would, I don’t expect anything in return, I figure it’s kind of a pay if forward idea, somewhere some other time they’ll help someone else out, that’s just how I am, Honestly I really don’t have any secrets hot spots anyways.

I know if someone gave me a tip or hotspot, I wouldn’t tell everyone, just the same as if I found it.

I do however do not have to many reservations telling people an area that’s been working well for me, and maybe a method, ie: like upper prior lake, outside weedline 10-12 fow type of idea, not an exact spot. As the catch phase goes “that’s why they call it fishing, not catching”

I guess I have the same spirit as derek, I reserved in who I’d tell a specfic spot, because I fear they would destroy the spot, I catch and release most of the time, but I do like taking some home for dinner every so often.

I fish on occasion a few smaller lakes, I’m starting to wonder if these lakes have been hit a bit too hard, having not caught a keepable fish in these lakes in several hundred fish. You’ll never get me to reveal this spots online. I have heard enough incidents where some one said a lake was hot, and it was just destroyed be people catching, and catching, and never releasing, and that sucks.

But hey if anyoen wants to go fishing, holler, I’ll show you what I know, on the water I know.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.