Motor problem-looking for help!

• DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

2001 25hp Honda 4 Stroke. I was out by the river last weekend and couldnt get it started. I originally thought that the battery was dead and felt like a real dope. When I hit the electric start button, it just turned over for a second(weakly), then would not do anything.

Everything worked perfect the last time out 2 weeks ago. I gave the battery a good charge and tested it last night-still dead. Tried a second battery-nothing.

Could the electric start have just gone from perfect to bad without any warnings? Bad wiring? Kill switch? Some kind of internal shutoff?

The REALLY odd thing is that we had a MASSIVE lightening strike since the last time out. It blew up one neighbor’s phones and answering machines, it took out sprinkler systems and GFI outlets in the basements. Could a surge of electricity in the air knocked something out?????? I really doubt it, but I am trying to figure out what could have happened.

Thanks for any input guys!

jhalfen

Is the main fuse in front of the starter motor still intact? I had a similar problem with my (lemon) 50 HP Merc 4-stroke. Would blow its 20 A fuse with regularity. After replacing, it would run fine for a while, then without warning, upon trying to start the motor, bam, there goes the fuse .

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Great-I will check tonight. I pulled the cover and saw the fuse, I didnt even think to check it. I hope it is that easy!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.