winter tire review

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

I was hoping to do this last year but winter didn’t really show up and give me much of a chance to try them out, this year has given me plenty of opportunities. I put a set of Blizzaks on my F150 and a set of General Arctics on my focus.

The Blizzaks are very good on wet icy roads but the tread pattern isn’t as open as I would like for heavy snow covered roads. The Generals have a more open pattern that is better on the snow and still does pretty good on ice.

I like the compound of the Blizzaks a little better, the Generals seem a little stiffer in the cold weather. I liked the more open tread on the Generals. I would prefer the Blizzak tire with a more open tread design for the heavy snow days.

I know the tires were on very different vehicles but I compared it to how both vehicles handled on their previous all season tires. Next year I think I am going to try a set of Michelin snows and see how they handle, I’ve heard some good things on those tires.

Overall dedicated winter tires seemed to make a big difference over the all season tires that were on each vehicle.

tweak

I have been running dedicated snows on my wife’s car for many years, and then put a set on my f150 when I discovered the Pirellis were so awful in the snow. My wife’s cars have had blizzaks until last year we switched to Michelin ice-x. They seem just as good. Handle a little better. Maybe a little noisier.

The truck has blizzaks like yours and I agree they seem to plug up a bit in heavy snow. Mine are about wore out. Almost down to the first indicator where they say snow traction will be reduced. So I am sure that has something to do with it too. It is particularly annoying with the traction control on. I don’t know why ford put such a nanny on our trucks. If you turn it off the blizzaks spin a bit and clear more snow from their tread and dig back in.

I’m getting a new set next fall and will buy Bridgestone or Michelin.

big_g
    Isle, MN

We are beginning to see more & more people switching to Snow tires at the dealership. They do work ! Also, the traction control is working for you when you have no idea that it is. Yeah we notice it at slower speeds… but at higher speeds, it can keep us out of what could be a 360′ spin & a flip into the ditch… without us ever knowing it

tweak

Quote:

We are beginning to see more & more people switching to Snow tires at the dealership. They do work ! Also, the traction control is working for you when you have no idea that it is. Yeah we notice it at slower speeds… but at higher speeds, it can keep us out of what could be a 360′ spin & a flip into the ditch… without us ever knowing it

I recognize it can save our bacon. That’s probably why when you turn it all “off” (as much as you can) it turns back on at 30 mph. But the threshold of it engaging as you are starting from a stop is ridiculous. My wife’s Audi is way better and I’m sure it’s prepared to intervene as much as the Ford if I do get into trouble.

It’s a small gripe. I love the truck. The blizzaks are an insurance policy I can get home from a road trip for work, or pull my boat up an icy ramp.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

We are beginning to see more & more people switching to Snow tires at the dealership.

A perfect opportunity for the service departments to put packages together for customers when they stop in. Instead of buying new rims for the extra set of tires, sell some used rims from vendors such as LKQ.

I’ve had new all season tires on the Buick at the beginning of winter, but there is no comparison to winter tires. I had a set of Michelin X-Ice for the season. Not saying if they are the best winter tire because its the first set of winter tires I’ve had, but one would have to believe the worst winter tire is better than the best all season tire.

KLR
    Clarksville, Iowa

cooper weathermaster

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Winter really needs to be over now, I took the winter tires off the car yesterday.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Winter really needs to be over now, I took the winter tires off the car yesterday.

Then you must be the one to blame for the late spring. I took my winter tires off six weeks ago.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I was going to do the swap last weekend when I changed the oil but the forecst was showing the chance for snow so I held off. Glad I did, we ended up with very icy roads and almost 12″ of snow.

After I swapped my tires we decided to to get ready for spring by putting the new clutch in the vet. Bring on the convertible weather.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

After I swapped my tires we decided to to get ready for spring by putting the new clutch in the vet. Bring on the convertible weather.

Too funny, I was looking at 427’s yesterday. My wife wishes I’d get one so I quit looking at them and get stuff done around the house, but then I’d be out driving it instead.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

The vet has been down for a couple years and it is about time to get it back on the road. It’s been a few years of find the weekest link since the supercharger was put on. I think I found the reason it has been eating clutches yesterday so hopefully this summer it will run trouble free.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.