backing for Power Pro on Abu 6500’s

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Just thinking about my soon to be purchased Abu Garcia 6500 Tournament Series Musky reels. I know they can hold a lot of line (245 yards of 14 pound test or something like that. What I’m wondering is what is a good backer to use under some of that 65 pound terst power pro. I don’t think a person needs more than a hundred yards of that line on at a time but does it matter what type of line I put under it? Thanks! I’m looking forward to doing some musky and large northern fishing and hope to post photo’s of some big toothy’s this summer. Steve

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Steve,
    I just usually use any mono that I have laying around.
    Take a look at Cortland Spectron for line.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have a huge spool of 12# that I got from a Gander clearance table for $3. I typically use that because it fills up the space quicker, and has more bulk, and elieviates line binds.
    Tuck

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

that’s a good point.
    I have the same reel. Cabela’s was offering free engraving last year. Did you get the bait clicker?

leinieman

Yep 4 ball bearings, counterbalanced power handle and line out alarm. I plan on using them for musky,northerns and of course surgeons in September. I will have to buy a couple of new baits maybe a couple of spinners from my favorite musky bait store. Crazy D’s tackle in Elk Mound. That man sure ties some awsome bucktail spinners. Steve

leinieman

So Steve is the Cortland a better line? Whats the plus’s to it verses the power pro. I don’t now a lot about either but have used the power pro on my bass and jig dragging rods. We will have to get out after a couple monsters some this summer. Do you think a hundred yards is enough of either of the heavy lines? I’m not sure of the spool size yet so I may end up with 125 yds per real or something like that. Steve

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I have 50 lb black spot on an old 5500 and 80 lb on my 6500. I spooled it 3 yrs ago. It still is very castable and very resistant to backlash. It doesn’t seem to absorb much water.
    It’s a personal preference, for sure. I bought some lightweight PowerPro this year and haven’t had a chance to form an opinion.
    I’m up for chasing some toothy criiters around. Lots of nice muskie are starting to be reported on the ‘Croix.
    I would fill your spool to about an eighth inch from the outside edges of the spool. Don’t know what that will be yardage wise. Put too much on and you’ll be asking for some birdnests.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.