Back-Up Camera

• BBKK
    IA

Just heard on the news that a lady is pushing congress to mandate all vehicles have a back-up camera by 2014 because she backed over her child last year. As tragic as that accident was, I don’t see the point? Maybe I’m just heartless and an a-hole but I don’t see why all vehicles need to have cameras because a couple people are too lazy to look behind them when they back up.

What is next? Inflatable padded bumpers in case she doesnt look forward when driving through an intersection and hits someone crossing the street? Maybe big giant strobe lights on the roof of all cars so there are less accidents?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hopefully she’ll make it retroactive back to 2005 and the government pay for it.

Much easier to hook up the boat with a back up camera. LOL!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

It wasn’t her fault she backed over her daughter, it was the cars fault. Hmmmm, wonder how she votes on the gun bills……

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

At least the back up camera is useful, sad to see a child get hurt but I won’t complain if my new truck comes with one as standard equipment.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Quote:

At least the back up camera is useful, sad to see a child get hurt but I won’t complain if my new truck comes with one as standard equipment.

The standard price will just go up

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Maybe I’m just heartless and an a-hole but I don’t see why all vehicles need to have cameras because a couple people are too lazy to look behind them when they back up.

Not all vehicles today have the best lines of sight. Take for example the Buick LaCrosse, one would say that a backup camera should be standard equipment because it is difficult to see when backing up this vehicle.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I dread the day that they require seat belts and air bags in cars.

What is this country coming to?

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

Quote:

Quote:

The standard price will just go up

I agree but at least it is for something that is useful. I put an aftermarket one on my truck and it is the greatest add on I have ever bought. No more dented tailgates, bumpers, caved in license plates. Back right up to trailer and go.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yes, because that 1 lady backed over a kid…. NHTSA

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Wouldn’t it be better just to take away reverse and left turns to eliminate many accidents?

the_popper
    Suburbs of Chicago, IL

Wouldn’t it be easier to be a parent and know where your kid is? I thought that was just part of the gig.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Exactly. Like there arent going to be accidents. If nobody every dies we’d kill this planet in a few years. Grow up humans.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I like the idea of “blind side awareness alerts”….. so people learn to stop checking their blind spots.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Wouldn’t it be easier to be a parent and know where your kid is? I thought that was just part of the gig.

Nope, then one would have to take responsibility.
    We all know that it is easier to blame something or someone else.

Ron

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

If it makes things safer.. why the H*ll not do it. Good for her.

pantherpop
    Kalispell, MT

Quote:

Wouldn’t it be better just to take away left turns?

You just done away with NASCAR

big_g
    Isle, MN

I know when I was a kid, my parents raised me and my siblings as best they could. Were they holding my hand all day everyday, like some of the perfect parents posting here… no. In the summer, while dad worked away from the house all day, he left before we were out of bed and came home at supper time. Mom was the CEO of the house and us 5 kids… there were times we rode our bikes up and down the street, to go to the neighbors to play or whatever. If we hadn’t lived in a rural area, but rather a big city, I don’t know how many thousands of times, I would have been passing a driveway and making my parents “excuse makers” for not holding my hand, while somebody may or may not have been backing out their driveway…. for you perefct parents, do you only have 1 kid living in the bubble or more ? If backup cameras cost about $300 now as a factory option, putting them on every vehicle in the country, should drive the cost down to about $40 on the sticker. I will pay it and I don’t even have kids, but sure as heck don’t want to run one over while saving a couple bucks I like it

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

It was a $400.00 option in 08 when I got my pickup. I kick myself for not getting it just about every time I put my truck in reverse.

BBKK
    IA

Good post G. Problem is, from what I heard on the news the child she backed up was her toddler that was unattended and made it behind the van. She hopped in and took off, right over the child.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Big G isn’t the main idea here is that Congress wants to mandate it? There is not one person here that wants a freaking child to get pummeled by our bumpers, nor do we claim to be perfect parents, it is the thought of everything in our lives need to overlooked and regulated by a third party, ie the government. Hey, as some people here have stated they all like the idea, and in the future that trend may take hold and if it does you better believe the car manufacturers will be on top of it. But to mandate and make law of these little things that may or may not make our driveways and streets safer is a little too controlling for most of us.
    And let’s be honest bad drivers are just non-observant people. You put a camera on the back of a car I would bet there would be just as much if not more accidents bc the majority of the time when you are backing up the victim is off to the side of the vehicle and entering your pathway, where the camera only shows you straight back, and people are going to think it is all ok just to stare at the screen in their car without turning their heads back both ways to look what is coming from the side.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

It was a $400.00 option in 08 when I got my pickup. I kick myself for not getting it just about every time I put my truck in reverse.

I chuckled to myself (OK, out loud) last night as my wife backed our Sequoia over the neighbor’s garbage can. Would have been great for that.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The consensus seems to be pretty split. As I said earlier, I dread the day they require seatbelts and airbags in cars. It’s already here folks. I’d be more upset about these less functional pieces of equipment than the cheaper backup camera. Does anyone know what an airbag costs?

As long as you have the technology, why not use it? I would absolutely love to have a patent on a safety design that becomes mandated by the government to be used on all units. This will also help the economy in the slightest way.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

The only reason I have any interest is because of your Dad. I first saw it while driving his truck behind the house. Still in the name of saving money I did not spend the extra when I recently ordered a new vehicle. I also plan to let the free introductory subscriptions to onstar and satellite radio lapse. I only need my vehicles to do certain things. Old dog and all.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I dont have kids never will. I say mandate families with kids to buy the camera option..
    If I want one I’ll put it on myself.
    Just like full day kindergarten you want the daycare you pay for it, not me.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Ya, each time I drive that pickup I’m rudely reminded also. It’s a darn nice feature even though Mom says she never uses it.

We give Mom a ton of crap for backing the Mule into her half ton a couple summers ago. Just the other day I said something about “Had the mule had a camera you still would have hit the pickup since you don’t look in the mirror anyway.” Dad laughed. I laughed. Mom said something Mom’s aren’t suppose to say….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.