Anyone have Cablelas Guide Wear?

• tcfishing
    Anoka, MN

Fishing This weekend has made think that it’s time for new rain gear. Does anyone use Guide Wear? Is it worth the price?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

The Guide Ware is the best …It is well worth the money…

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

It took me years of watching everyone else being comfortable and dry before I spent the money for it. But after wearing it the first time I wished I had bought it years ago. For example, fished a Turkey Combo tournament [Sat. after Thanksgiving late Nov.] a few years back and it rained all day long so it was a cold rainy day yet after 8 hours in it I was still dry. ”Great stuff.” Get the parka instead of the jacket as it is longer and gives more protection. Thanks, Bill

redneck
    Rosemount

We got Guidewear over the Winter and it is well worth the money. My son and I were on Pool 4 yesterday from 6:30 AM to 7:00 PM. The weather was brutal at times but the Guidewear really did the trick. I had one pants leg under my pants that had about an inch of wetness on the bottom and other than that we were dry after 12 hours of wind and rain. Being a poor working smuck it hurt like hell to shell out the money for 2 sets of Guidewear but I don’t think there is anything out there that is comparable so I just bit the bullet. Two sets of Guidewear for Dad and Boy— Alot of dollars. Go to the Mississippi Walleye forum and look for “My Biggest Walleye Yet” post for the priceless part. On a side note—what does everyone wear in rainy weather(like yesterday) for shoes? I just went with loafers and I had to run the heater on the way home to get my feet warmed up and they still looked like prunes.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I wear waterproof hiking style boots is I guess you would call them. Or sometimes just my shoes figuring it won’t rain much but it likes to prove me wrong. Really nice fish your son caught. Precious memories there.
    Thanks, Bill

Don Hanson

Bill, do you have the insulated guide wear?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have the insulated parka and the uninsulated bibs. I also have the Gander Mt. uninsulated outfit for summer use as not as heavy but haven’t used them yet. But I’m betting the Guidewear to be a much better outfit. Thanks, Bill

tcfishing
    Anoka, MN

Thanks Guys, the set I Have cost $120.00 and it didn’t hold up. I wear water proof boots that was the only part that was dry, but I would like to know what others wear.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I have the uninsulated Guide Wear and it is worth every penny. I have stayed dry in heavy down pours and wet boat rides….every time. You won’t regret getting the good stuff.
    Just an FYI, you should check the bargain area at Cabelas before just grabbing some off the rack. I got my bibs for $100, it looked like they had never been worn. Someone probably bought them and returned them after 1 usage.
    John

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I took a trip to Owatonna today and seen they have Guide Wear in the Outlet Store right next to the main Cabela’s store. The jackets were $99, don’t remember what the bibs were. The Outlet Store rocks, it is one HUGE Bargain Cave.

jbob
    Hastings, MN

I have had guid ewear for 6 years and it still keeps me dry. For the money it is well worth it.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

My pair are thirteen years old (1991)and they did not hold up yesterday. The first time they haven’t. But I don’t recall when it rained continually when I was out. It also blew over 25 mph. I’ll just have to use this set as a back-up. I also used them during the winter. I think they can be retired to the second team.

If I paid 300 for them three years ago they cost me about 20-25 bucks a year. I wore the pants as wind pants on dry days, to take the morning chill off on cool mornings and during ice fishing to keep the wind and water from drilling holes off myself.

It rained all day Sunday. We totaled over three for the day but I guess it was an inch or so for the 6 hours I was out.

It hasn’t stopped raining and we are pushing 6 inches now for the holiday weekend. I think Devils Lake will come up some more.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I’ve had mine around 10 years now. Best fishing investment I have ever made……..for sure!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

well i got my fathers day present early from my little boys. I got the rainsuit from wal mart. it looks like some of that guide wear stuff, but the price was 89.00 for the jacket and bibs. wore them all day yesterday and was in a down pore at the landing to get the boat off and still stayed dry. i like them.

shane

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have Guide Wear as well, and it is the driest, bar none! EXCEPT, this weekend, I found a leak in the most uncomfortable place! There is a two way zipper on the bibs, for relieving one’s self I would imagine…but a couple of the zipper teeth do not come all the way together, and guess what got soaked??? And I mean soaked! All the rain washing down the front of my jacket pooled there, and soaked in. The joking in the bar was not called for either!
    LOL! Guess I need to make a trip down to Cabelas and see how their warranty works!
    Tuck

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I bought a set of Guide Wear last year to have a heavy set of rain gear but I have not wore them much yet. So far so good. It’s hasn’t been cold whenever I have fished in the rain so I keep wearing my older, lighter set of Cabelas Rainy River gear. It has been flawless as well for many years.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.