Best walleye reel??

• a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

I just today purchased a new st. Croix legend tournament 6’8″ pitching rod. I am debating what reel would be best to pair it with?? Shimano Sahara?? Pflueger arbor?? Any other suggestions?

I usually run shimano’s but want some input on other reels. Thanks

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Stradic ci4

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Stradic ci4

X2

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

For that price point, give a look at the Quantum Accurist or Kinetic in a size 10 or 20. I prefer much smaller reels on my rods to make them as light as possible. Other have a different opinion. If your budget allows to bump up to the $140-150 range, then definitely a Quantum Smoke size 15. Only 6.3 oz and outstanding performance.

dairycat

Money no option Shimano Stradic C4, Phlueger President or shimano sedona is perfect for the money for me!

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

For that price point, give a look at the Quantum Accurist or Kinetic in a size 10 or 20. I prefer much smaller reels on my rods to make them as light as possible. Other have a different opinion. If your budget allows to bump up to the $140-150 range, then definitely a Quantum Smoke size 15. Only 6.3 oz and outstanding performance.

I don’t think those are small reels at all. About normal. 150yrds of 6 is about what I look for in a walleye reel. Only exception is for throwing raps.

So far you have seen the $100-$200 reels mentioned. I’ll throw out some of the lower end that are still great reels.

Pflueger president
    Okuma Trio
    Lews speed spin

mar-80
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Stradic ci4

X3

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Stradic ci4

X2

X4

hunter1723

Quote:

Money no option Shimano Stradic C4, Phlueger President or shimano sedona is perfect for the money for me!

LAY off the PEYOTE!

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Stradic ci4

X2

X4

X5

jigmasterflex
    Lake Wissota, Wisconsin

Shimano fj 2500 if you went with the legend might as well go all out like the CI4 too but haven’t owned one yet so I don’t know how well they break in but they didn’t feel as silky off the bat, but all I can do is drool over that setup and keep rolling Saharas, seem to get more life outta shimanos then pfluegers bought a supreme and thought it was the bees knees but nuked it in one season

Mike Stephens
    WI.

For trolling the abu garcia 300. For jiggin the old shimano 1200. Works for me now,46 years in a row.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I run Symetre’s on my eye rods. What makes the Stradic more than twice as much ? I have never owned or fished one, but looks like alot of you guys run em… For those who have run Symetre’s, what’s the difference to the Stradic ?

briansmude

Can’t go wrong if it says shimano on it. Just buy the one that best fits your budget.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

You dont need a Ci4.. if you go Shimano go with the Sedonas.

You wont be sorry! They are about the best if not the best reel for the money, it will also pair up to that rod quite nicely.

Not matter which direction you go,remember you are the one that will use it not us, make a choice that fits your needs as a reel.

BTW.. I own 6 Arbors and 4 Supreme Pfluegers and I have NEVER had any issues in the 4 years I have used them year around.

artifishal

Another vote for the Stradic Ci4

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

You dont need a Ci4.. if you go Shimano go with the Sedonas.

You wont be sorry! They are about the best if not the best reel for the money, it will also pair up to that rod quite nicely.

Ask James what he uses.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

I have shimanos and pleugers. This weekend the anti reverse would intermittently take a crap on the pleuger president. Ive never had that happen before. The reel is only 2 years old. Shimanos have been solid…

Chris H

X6 on the Stradic ci4

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

Can’t go wrong if it says shimano on it. Just buy the one that best fits your budget.

I disagree. Every shimano I have (6) have their issues. Saharas and symmetrys. Some are probably related to lack of maintenance but they struggle to keep the line in the bail roller. I just don’t like the design. Plus my symmetry was sent back twice for noise issues.

I liked quantums back in the day, now I’m searching. May try the diawas next.

milemark_714

Quote:

I run Symetre’s on my eye rods. What makes the Stradic more than twice as much ? I have never owned or fished one, but looks like alot of you guys run em… For those who have run Symetre’s, what’s the difference to the Stradic ?

Other than the handle and color,I can’t really tell the difference.I have both and bought them when on sale.They both hold up fairly equal.I still have Stradics from when they first came out.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I have shimanos and pleugers. This weekend the anti reverse would intermittently take a crap on the pleuger president. Ive never had that happen before. The reel is only 2 years old. Shimanos have been solid…

Common problem with pfluegers. I’ve had 2 do it in the past, and currently have 2 that are doing it now. Its the spring on the little lever that engages the anti-reverse. (you turn it to backreel), that lever turns another lever that stops the bail, there is a spring on it that keeps it engaged. The spring wears out and needs replacing. You can either find a replacement or snip some off and bend the end to fit back on correctly, thus shortening it up. That fix has worked on all of mine so far. Granted they were trions and not presidents, but that is where I would start looking.

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

I’ve got the new Shimano Sahara model size 1000 reel, smooth and casts well. Although I have only used it once my opinion isn’t all that credible…

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

that Quantum Smoke is money

tucrs
    NW Metro

There is a lot of good reels out there. Shimano’s last a long time. The gears are good quality.

Best thing you can do to any of these is clean them every season. Dirt, grime, lake slime all get in there ruining grease. I have seen all of them fail because of dirt. The bearings do not last with sand in them.

A good cleaning with a ultra sonic on the gears is awesome!

I just got one for the shop last weeek. Very cool machine and I will be cleaning a few of my reels Saturday.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Sedonas are great reels for the money. I have a half dozen that I’ve been running for 5 years or more without an issue. My Symetres have also been bullet proof, but I find them a bit heavy and they don’t balance right for me on some rods. The Stradics are awesome reels but you pay for them. I am also running a half dozen Plueger Arbors and 5 have had issues with the bail getting out of alignment and breaking a piece near the spring. I believe it happens when the line is not seated in the roller, which happens often with the way the bail is designed. I can’t seem to get clients to make sure the line is in the roller, and when they set the hook, they break the bail. This is the third season on the arbors and I’m seeing an 83.33% failure rate. I plan to phase all my arbors out and go back to Sedonas for customer rods.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

Zebco 33

X2

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

Zebco 33

X2

Maybe for the little fish you guys catch.

I say 808 mag.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.