taking better fish fotos

• tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

A good foto of a prized catch is a wonderful way to preserve the memory of the moment…but many of us are Kodak challenged.
    Following are some tips which will make you a better fish fotographer

1. THE FISH IS ALWAYS THE STAR!
    When you take a foto, have the angler LOOK at the FISH!!! Too many of us want to look at the camera. The fish is what it’s all about…if the person holding the fish is looking at it, those looking at the foto will too !!

2. ALWAYS USE FILL FLASH
    Most modern cameras are designed to target the closest focused point. Have you ever taken a foto where the fish turned out beautifully and the angler’s face looked like THE SHADOW ? Using fill flash–especially on bright sunny days–will highlight the fish and the fisherman for a beautiful result!

3. BEWARE OF THE BACKGROUND

Ever see a foto of somebody holding a nice fish with a fishing rod that looks like it’s growing out of his head ? Most of us have fishing on the brain…but taking care to check the background before pushing the shutter will make a better foto.

4.FRAMING THE SHOTS IS IMPORTANT
    Too many of us aim a camera like a rifle, putting the subject right in the middle of the foto. Having the subject in a third of the way from the left or right is better. Imagine a foto like an ice cube tray for six cubes.Focal points are located a third of the way in from the top and the bottom… and a third of the way in from either side. The points where these imaginary lines intersect are your focal points. HERE is where those crosshairs ought to be…lined up on the fish, the angler…whatever you want to capture.

5.SHOOT HORIZONTALS AND VERTICALS
    Some fotos are better as verticals, i.e. : a guy holding a fish. Some are better as horizontals, i.e. ; a landscape of the lake and sky.
    ….but sometimes either one is better in the opposite format. Shoot BOTH WAYS EVERY TIME and see what you get

6. KEEP THE SUN AT YOUR BACK, PARDNER
    Even though your subject may have to squint, having the sun behind you backlights the subject and creates a better foto.

7. LOSE THE SHADES AND SMOKES

Unless you are the Marlboro Man, Stevie Wonder or selling Ray-Bans, smokes and sunglasses detract from fish fotos. Those looking at a foto want to see the angler’s EYES…and don’t forget…have the angler LOOK at the FISH !! The fish is always the star !!!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Thanks Ted!!! Those are some great tip!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ve read those tips somewhere before. However, I don’t agree with tip #1 where they say to look at the fish. Those pictures just plain look goofy to me.

newt
    Pillager, MN

I’m with you Jon….too goofy.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I don’t feel like the fish is the star, the moment is. You’ve got to capture the emotion of the moment which typically includes a nice smile and the person looking at you (the camera) to convey the enthusiasm and andrenalin. If I wanted to look at just fish, the encyclopedia will do. My best example is a kid holding up a nice 3+lb. bass with those HUGE excited eyes. That captures a moment and the moment is special. I will still look at the fish. It doesn’t get skipped. But the warmth of the eye contact is often what makes the photo great!

My 2 cents……….

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

You make a good point Ken the expression on the Kids faces is priceless

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

Your point “6. KEEP THE SUN AT YOUR BACK, PARDNER” may not be necessary or desirable with some modern cameras, especially in bright sunlight. Having a persons face either shaded from the bill of the cap or squinting eyes may not produce the best picture. Many times keeping the subject’s back (or side) to the sun and shading your camera’s lens can produce a very nice picture. It depends on the brightness and angle of the sun. If in doubt take as many pictures as possible – but do it quickly before the fish dies.

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

agree with what you guys say about look on kids faces, etc. My reason for post was from perspective as an outdoor writer/photographer for the past 30 years. The tips offered are what I use as general guidelines when taking fotos for publication, just offering advice to folks who are kodak challenged.. thanks for your replies !

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

you’re absolutely right! Reasons for this info are stated in my replies to initial post. Just trying to give folks an outdoor writers perpective on taking fish fotos…

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

you’re absolutely right! Reasons for this info are stated in my replies to initial post. Just trying to give folks an outdoor writers perpective on taking fish fotos…

Hey! Don’t think we don’t appreciate it! “Kodak challenged” applies to this “kid” and while I have a slighted opinion on one point, sure doesn’t mean I couldn’t use the other points you made!

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Thanks for the feedback! Guess its all about what you’re lookin’ for in a photo. In hopes that we all work hard at CPR with the big gals, gotta tell ya that some of my favorites are looking right at the camera with a cocky smirk which are pulled out and slapped on the table when somebody says the fishin’s story I just told ’em was B.S.— the favorite is a slide of a 23 1/2 inch smallie being held up to a stick-on ruler which I had made into a print. Fish is still swimming. Better than a mount. Will probably never catch another smallie that big. Every time I look at the foto with me grinnin’ like I’m really hot stuff it is a humbling experience. This fish was a gift from the Creator. Putting her back was the right thing to do. And just being able to get out there and hook up once in awhile makes you appreciate the blessings of being born an American with the opportunity to fish and realize your wildest dreams!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

good point Ted,
    thanks for the tips, we can all use them. I also think it is importand to have the camera at the same level as your main subject. shooting up to it or a large angle down to it, loses perspective on the subject. keep them pics coming. Jack.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Thanks for the tip Ted.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Having had Ted fishing and taking pictures in my boat, has taught me a thing or two about taking pictures too…One thing he forgot to mention was to hold the fish in a relaxed state(this is what I call it) . What I mean is not to strangle the fish or hold it with a locked elbow so it is only 12 inches away from the camera and your 4 feet behind that…just get a hold of the fish, maybe cradle it, maybe give it the thumb and pointer finger pinch up by the lower front of a toothy critters mouth. And if it’s a bass, the ever so popular thumb grip on the lower lip, and of coarse the one i love the most is the fist in the flat heads mouth…I really like that pose…

But just relax and keep your arms bent and look natural…

I think, one of the best things that sets this website apart from all the rest is all the pictures we all post here to share with others…

No matter if it’s a new way to catch walleyes

or some nite time cattin

or even some good panfishing pix

just keep that smile showing and the look and feel of enjoyment…

ok i’ve rambled on enough…

keep the pix commin ya’ll

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I for one am going to try and put these tips to work real soon . I just went and bought me a digital camera so I can finally get pics of the fish that get caught .

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Just a couple more things we found, if you can get the fish up off the floor of the boat and away from clutter in the boat, use the scenery behind, makes a better picture. Also try to tip those caps up to get rid of the shadow.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.