Tow Vehicle

• BomberA

I have a Ranger 185VS, I think it weighs around 1500 lbs. I currently have a 99 GMC Sierra 5.3. Would a smaller truck/SUV (i.e. Ford Explorer with a V6) be able to handle my boat or will it be too big of a burden on the tranny?

Thanks

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

You may want to double check the weight of your boat. I have a 19′ Ranger and boat, motor, and equipment, it weighs around 3100lbs. I would be suprised if your boat is 1/2 ft shorter, and 1500 lbs lighter. Assuming that your boat weighs somewhere close to mine, I wouldn’t try to tow it with a 6 cylinder engine. I have a 99 tahoe with the 5.7 liter V8, and it pulls the boat quite nicely. Of course gas milage sucks, but I knew that going into this. I would guess that unless you own a tranny shop, you’re going to want to keep the bigger tow vehicle.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My experiences with the 6 cylinder trucks when towing have always been less than positive. Unloaded a 6 cylinder will get you better gas mileage than an 8 in a truck or SUV… but not a substantial amount. When towing 6 cylinders work VERY hard and often get similar or worse gas mileage than the same truck with an 8. And the towing experience is much better with the 8.

Just my 2 cents here but trucks and SUV’s with less than 8 cylinders are for getting groceries.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Just my 2 cents here but trucks and SUV’s with less than 8 cylinders are for getting groceries.

What he said!

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Get a 1/2 ton 5.7 liter Dodge Hemi.

345 hp / 375lb-ft of torque.

7600 lb towing.

I can help.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

I could not have said it better myself

kenwarren
    Olin, Iowa

Here is my 2-cents.

I have a Dodge Ram 3500 with the Cummins Diesel. What a motor! 600ft/lbs of torque. Maybe little over kill but the truck gets 15mpg pulling the boat. There are many other benefits to the diesel but you have to go to at least 3/4 ton truck to get it and pay a little extra.

It is much better than what I have. I never loose speed puling boat due to wind, hills, etc.

Oh yeah, forget about an auto tranny and you can forget about tranny trouble.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.