Which hand do you cast with? reel with?

• nick
    Lakeville, MN

Just wondering, every reel I’ve ever purchased came with the handle on the left side (spinning reel), I always switch it around, but I cast with both my right hand and reel with my right hand, some mentioned to me once that that was weird. I am right handed. Is this a bit abnormal? or is it normal for you righties out there? Just curious…

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I can’t imagine casting with my right and then reeling with my right. You’re definately in the minority. Abnormal? Well, that might be a bit strong…

If it works for you, then who cares what anyone else thinks…

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I’m the same way. I can’t for the life of me reel with my left hand. I have to switch every single spinning reel around. I’m not sure how others do it. Oh well, I think that they’re all weird.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I am a south paw. I cast with my left hand and reel with my right for both spinning and casting. My brother is right handed and is the same way as me.

When I was a kid playing softball, the school gym did not have a “Lefty” glove. (A glove for the right hand) So I played ball catching with my left hand, quickly removing the glove and then throwing with my left hand. Those early years screwed up my game for life. Lol!!

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

With a spinning outfit I cast with my right and reel with my left. Now with baitcasting equipment(which I use the most)I cast with my right and reel with my right. I get a better hook set when I cup the baitcaster in my letf hand. I just can’t get the hang of retrieving with my left.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Don’t let anyone tell you that you are in the minority or weird. I reel w/my right hand w/both baitcasters/spinners. I can spin cast w/both, but baitcast only w/my right.

DO WHAT WORKS!!! Also, watch the pro’s on televsion, i’ve noticed that many of them cast right and reel right as well. Just my observation.

Eitherway, do what’s confortable.

jwellsy

I’m right handed, and this is what I’ve found.

Spinning reals- cast with right hand, crank with left hand

baitcasters- cast with right hand, crank with right hand.
    most reels come with crank on rt side, and tuff to change it over.
    This is exactly why I don’t use very many baitcasters.
    I think I have 6 baitcasters, but I also probably have 6 spinning reels for each baitcaster.

fly rods- cast with right hand, crank with left hand.
    most reels have crank on rt side but easy to change over

northern illinois

Good question. Ive been thinking about this since I bought my first right handed baitcaster.(pistol grip like the pros on tv). Im right handed so I naturally cast with the right. Next I did the cool little switch of hand thing. First decent bass that slammed my spinnerbait almost broke my wrist. No leverage. That setup didnt take long to get rid of. Got to looking around and found very few brands offered left handed baitcasters. SHIMANO has offeded LH models since then (70s). Went for the longer butt on my rods also. More leverage setting hooks and two handed long casts. As for spinning; same. Cast right-reel left. This way my rod is always in my stronger hand. The pros make the hand switch look so smooth. I suppose after a million casts i’d get used to it too. What ever feels right-do that.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I cast with my right and reel with my left with both spinning and baitcasting gear, I am right handed.

I think the guys who reel spinning with one hand and baitcasters with the other hand are wierd, but I think they are the majority so I better hush up!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Definitely no right or wrong way. I reel with left hand on spinning. I reel with right or left on casting, mostly right. I know it’s all in my head…

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

I am right handed and for 40 years I “cast right – reel right” (spin or bait caster). Last year I had a left elbow injury and could not hold the rod with my left arm, so I switched to “cast right- reel left”. It took awhile to make the change and I still prematurely release a few fish because I am not yet used to it.

I even saw a pro on TV that holds a spinning reel upside down because they liked the reel on the top. Nothing is weird with how you cast and reel. It is just fishing, enjoy it however you can!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

the one and only fish that i have caught reeling left handed was a 10 pd northern on 4 pound test. but the bad thing is, I feel like i have better control on my rod holding with my left hand and reeling with my right hand. then when i am done reeling in, I then cast with my right hand as well, seeing how i can hit the spot better or have better aim with my right hand.

shane

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I cast with my right arm and reel with my left. On a baitcasting rod I cast with both hands and reel with my right hand.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Oh don’t worry there’s no changing me now

I was wondering, looks like I do it a little different than most others. It just never occured to me, I guess the GF is stuck now in the same idea, cast right, reel right

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.