Harvin traded

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Wow you guys obviously don’t know much about football or talent. Percy was great player! Sit back on your labtop making fun of him for his health conditions? Grow up

We were waiting for a fanboi to enlighten us.

Grow up? Why don’t you grow up. No backs.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Wow you guys obviously don’t know much about football or talent. Percy was great player! Sit back on your labtop making fun of him for his health conditions? Grow up

I don’t know that anyone was saying anything different about his talent level.
    But, having said that, if you can’t find a way to fit in with & get along with the rest of the team, including management, then you’re probably going nowhere as a team also.

My guess is management knew Percy wasn’t going to try and fit in and be a team player and henceforth felt they had no other choice than to get what they could before he left anyway.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

So the question is, did he provide more value during the 9 games he played vs. someone who can play all 16?

He scored 3 touchdowns last season as a receiver. He hasn’t had a 1000 yard season yet. He’s missed a fair amount of time on the field in 4 years.

I don’t see any numbers that jump out & say he’s earned the Prima Donna title just yet. I certainly think he has potential, but after reviewing his career numbers I’m not so impressed.

http://www.nfl.com/player/percyharvin/80425/careerstats

tbrooks11

Wilson had a season of a lifetime, there is no way he is that good. Next year is the dreaded Sophomore slump.. playoff team, nothing more

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Wilson had a season of a lifetime, there is no way he is that good. Next year is the dreaded Sophomore slump.. playoff team, nothing more

I would bet good money that anyone who has played with him, or coached him, or been around him for any length of time at all, would disagree with you’re opinion.

This kid is just that good. He is exceptionally smart and is the kind of player that makes the people around him better as well.

I’m betting next year I’ll be able to say, “I told you so” again.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Grow up? I’ve been hearing that for 50+ years. How about you enlighten me about football? You know far more then the rest of us.

I deal in facts. Fact is he hasn’t been a team player since he entered college. Fact, he misses practise, a lot of practise. Fact, the Vikings made the play-offs last year WITHOUT him. Fact, he wasn’t going to report to camp without a new contract which he didn’t deserve.

He is a guy who wants to be another prima dona wide receiver. Problem is he’s to immature to wait his turn. Now he can go to Seattle and pout and sit games out there.

If I missed anything be sure to fill me in.

run&gun
    MN

Goodbye. Alot of talent… just a crybaby.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I’m betting next year I’ll be able to say, “I told you so” again.

You tell’em Joel!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2014 Super Bowl Champs, The Seattle Seahawks. I like the sound of that.

Pug,

You were saying that a few months ago also and look what happened. It’s one and done in the play-offs and anything can happen.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2014 Super Bowl Champs, The Seattle Seahawks. I like the sound of that.

Pug,

You were saying that a few months ago also and look what happened. It’s one and done in the play-offs and anything can happen.

Its one thing to say it, another to believe it. Do I think this makes Seattle the odds on favorite. Nope.

But one day, if I keep throwing the “Seahawks” against the wall ,eventually it might stick.

josh a

imagine this, the Vikings trade what they got for Percy and move up in the draft to get Cordarelle Patterson from Tennessee. Now they got rid of a short, fast, talented player who didn’t want to be here for a rookie who is big, fast, and uber talented. Than they take the money they would would have spent on Percy and sign Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings. All of a sudden our team could have one of the better WR duos in the league. This scenerio is very possible, at least drafting the rookie anyways. Lets let this offseason play out before we judge the move completely. For the record, you don’t have to know much about football to know that if you have a player that is only going to stay for 1 more year at best its always a good move to trade him for a 1rst round pick

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Quote:

Quote:

Grow up? I’ve been hearing that for 50+ years. How about you enlighten me about football? You know far more then the rest of us.

I deal in facts. Fact is he hasn’t been a team player since he entered college. Fact, he misses practise, a lot of practise. Fact, the Vikings made the play-offs last year WITHOUT him. Fact, he wasn’t going to report to camp without a new contract which he didn’t deserve.

He is a guy who wants to be another prima dona wide receiver. Problem is he’s to immature to wait his turn. Now he can go to Seattle and pout and sit games out there.

In college he played rb, wr, qb and won a national title without causing any problems. Why do you feel he wasnt a team player at Florida?

Was he a team player when Favre had them in a title game?

IMO, he was disgruntled and wanted market pay for his caliber. I cant blame him for that. MN didnt know how to properly use Peterson and Harvin. Throw in an amazing season for Rudolph and he wasnt going to be worth the money required to keep him here.

It seems like a good deal for everone (except the Packers)

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

Quote:

Chris Carter came here to the Vikings under the same kind of circumstances.

Pot Head….bad teammate… talented hot head… And now a hall of famer

It will be interesting to see what happens

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Harvin is a game changing player. He has had injury issues and is pretty fired up on the sidelines. But I never saw him take any plays off.

I’m thinking the Vikings lost out here. AP can’t do it forever and to expect a rookie WR to do much of anything is rare. Randy Moss and recently the kid playing for the Bengals have pulled it off. But most WR’s take a few years. AP doesn’t have that much time.

As much as I’d like to see Jennings or Welker or Wallace here, they are going to be in high demand.

You put Harvin in the slot with a play extender like Wilson, add in the excellent RB the seachickens have, wow, would love to have that here!!

ET

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

Chris Carter came here to the Vikings under the same kind of circumstances.

Pot Head….bad teammate… talented hot head… And now a hall of famer

It will be interesting to see what happens

Good example and I hope it goes his way. Though, I don’t think Carter was demanding anything. Ryan was just fed up with his crud.

Pardon the comparison, but If my memory serves me correct the Vikes went through the exact, darn close anyway. scenario we are seeing with Harvin, minus the talent, again.

Remember Cullpepper getting injured then going to Florida away from the team to heal and recuperate then things went down hill from there later demanding more money then ultimately demanding a trade. The new head coach cut the ties. Well, Cullpepper did get what he wanted and also fell on his face.

The 2 scenarios are so similar it is eary.

Or is Florida the predetermined spot to go when a player makes his mind up he wants off the team?

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

Wilson at QB and Harvin fitting into the H-back position…..if Harvin can fit in, anyone else see Seattle in the Superbowl next year?

Injury prone Harvin and injury prone Rice. Maybe they can alternate time off for injuries and maybe get 3 games in a year to play together.

kooty
    Keymaster

The more I hear, the more I think 3 draft choices and freeing up the salary cap room is a pretty good deal. The guy obviously didn’t want to play here. Which is fine. I think both teams did well in this trade.

hnd

Quote:

So the question is, did he provide more value during the 9 games he played vs. someone who can play all 16?

He scored 3 touchdowns last season as a receiver. He hasn’t had a 1000 yard season yet. He’s missed a fair amount of time on the field in 4 years.

I don’t see any numbers that jump out & say he’s earned the Prima Donna title just yet. I certainly think he has potential, but after reviewing his career numbers I’m not so impressed.

http://www.nfl.com/player/percyharvin/80425/careerstats

he was on pace for a monster year last year before he was hurt. he missed 3 games 3 years before that. he is also one of the best kickoff return guys in the league.

i don’t have problems with players wanting out of a team thats terrible if thats their prerogative.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

I don’t see anyone saying he’s a bad player. As far as your assessment that he’s a “great” player, I’d say it depends on what you basing that assessment on?

What I’d say is that Harvin’s greatness or lack of it is TBD. He’s still a relatively young player, from his college play and SOME of his professional play, the potential certainly is there. But in the “what have you done for me lately” world of professional football, his recent stats don’t scream “great player”. You don’t get to the hall of fame based on what you would have done had you not been injured, and if you would have had a good relationship with your coaching staff, and if you would have been the QB’s #1 go-to… It’s what you actually do.

What is beyond dispute is that in the locker room and at Winter Park, he mammoth pain in the @ss as a team member. Now some teams can absorb that and still get performance out of a player and others teams can’t. The Vikes obviously couldn’t. Can Seattle? Again, TBD.

Unlike many past trades, I think the Vikes got a reasonable deal and it has more potential than most deals for them to make it into a great deal with the right draft moves.

This year there is a PRIME crop of recievers out for the draft. The scouting services are saying this is the best crop of recievers in the last 15 years, it’s wide and deep. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the Vikes go WR WR or some other combo of doubling down on recievers with their first two picks. Even into the later picks there are going to be blue chip recievers available that would have been long gone in any other draft.

Grouse

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

i don’t have problems with players wanting out of a team thats terrible if thats their prerogative.

I’m not sure where I stand this subject. Part of me says he entered into a contract for services for $x.xx amount of money for X years. He should honor his contract. On the other hand, the owners can whack those contracts at will. Part me says the players union is to blame for allowing the owners such power.

It’s hard for me to find empathy for either side and the reality is, neither side lives in my world. In my world, if I don’t like my salary I have one, maybe two choices. Find a job that pays what I think I’m worth or hope my current employer sees my value and ask for a raise.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve become less and less of a fan of any sports team. It’s hard to have passion for something/someone who is so disconnected to what really matters to me. When I hear about a guy whining about his salary with 2 years left on his contract I get jaded pretty quickly. I wonder if others feel the same way?

hnd

its all about holding up your end of the bargain. like you said, teams generally can end a contract no problem so players hold out. its a give take i don’t mind. its kind of annoying as a joe schmoe pulling down a fraction of what those guys make but it is what it is.

guys like steven jackson and larry fitzgerald are considered to be holding up their end of the bargain yet their teams are doing nothing to put a winning product on the field. they may be trying but they are failing so their star players have every right to be upset.

if i’m doing my job right yet our companies is mediocre and unsuccessful, do i have a right to complain?

some players want to get paid, some want to win. both is ideal obviously.

the nfl is a different animal. 1 player cannot hamstring an organization like baseball or to a lesser extent basketball contract wise.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

If Joe Schmo could run a 4.4 40 in pads, bat .280 or shoot 45% from the 3 pt line with a 6’4″ guy guarding him, he would be paid too.

Likewise, if Joe could run a company with a half a billion in revenues better than anyone else, he gets his money as well.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

imagine this, the Vikings trade what they got for Percy and move up in the draft to get Cordarelle Patterson from Tennessee. Now they got rid of a short, fast, talented player who didn’t want to be here for a rookie who is big, fast, and uber talented. Than they take the money they would would have spent on Percy and sign Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings. All of a sudden our team could have one of the better WR duos in the league. This scenerio is very possible, at least drafting the rookie anyways. Lets let this offseason play out before we judge the move completely. For the record, you don’t have to know much about football to know that if you have a player that is only going to stay for 1 more year at best its always a good move to trade him for a 1rst round pick

I love this scenario. The Vikes won’t be getting Mike Wallace, but Jennings is totally possible.

Also, there are at least 5 recievers that have far better than average potential and that will almost certainly be available without the Vikes having to trade up. Patterson will be gone and I’d be nervous about trying to trade up just to get him because there’s probably 2 or more other teams that are thinking the exact same thing.

Even if the Vikes got Jennings, I still think they should draft two recievers with the first 2 picks. Maybe you CAN have too many good recievers, but I’d like someone to tell me where that’s acually happened AND been a bad thing?

Can you imagine the chaos the Vikes could cause with Jennings, somebody like Patterson, and then a third option and then, oh, just for fun there’s Adrian in the backfield but unlike last season it’s a much more balanced attack. Very tough for the defense to cheat on a setup like that and bias toward the run like they did on us all last year.

Bottom line is 2013 is a GREAT year if you’re a team shopping for a reciever. Good for Seattle for making a move, but that doesn’t mean the Vikes come out behind on the deal.

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Anyone find it ironic that he suffered from headaches?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Anyone find it ironic that he suffered from headaches?

What are you trying to say? He also complained about having the munchies constantly. Not like it means anything.

Grouse

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Doesn’t matter… wallace, jennings, who cares? Without a QB with the ability to throw the pigskin… you could have a dozen receivers out there and still be no better off.

Harvin had the ability to make Ponder look good. Harvin was Ponder’s favorite target ONLY because he was the only WR that could catch what he threw!

I am disappointed in the loss of Harvin. If we were going to lose him… and since SF was interested in him anyway.. It shoulda been to SF for Alex Smith!

Viewing 26 posts - 31 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.