A New Twist on Fishing………

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I had one of my nephews along on my men’s retreat on Gull Lake this year and during one of the food breaks he asked me if all they do is fish for walleyes? I said, “mostly” and asked if he’d like to do something else. He wanted to chase bass but they weren’t in season. Well, I told him that if ever a tough bite gets me down, I go chase the rock bass along the shores and docks near the Gull Lake Resort. They’re almost always willing to put a tug on your line!

So off we went. I started with a Matzuo Shallow Seeker and nailed a big rockie right off the bat! I looked at him and said, “One nothin'”. At that he put on a Gitzit Paddle Fry and had me down 3 to 1 in less than 3 minutes! Well, I don’t need a thunk on the head to see I needed what he had and seeings how it was my stuff anyway, I could!

In no time at all we were treating every new wood area or dock much like the pro golfers treat a hole during the Skins game. This quickly became known as “dock derbys” and the idea was to see how many rock bass you could pull from the dock before the bite faded. No joke, we pulled 27 rockies from one dock! Move to another and pull 8 to 12 or so …………. and on and on and on. We were to the point of not being able to say for sure how many fish we caught or combined for but we had a BLAST! Giggling and harassing each other while having good casts, bad casts, snags, weeds, intercepting largemouth (which fought MUCH harder!), twisted lines……. you name it, we about had it! It was VERY fun! I think he took the bigger tally there at the end because we got into a series of only one fish per dock and he was the first cast getting in there and hooking it!

If ever you need to just kick around and have some fun, try having a derby with the “easy bites” once! It’s awesome!!!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.