GSM cell phones

• Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Has anyone had any experience with the new GSM (globle satellite mobiles) cell phones? I have an opportunity to update my cell phones to this new technology.

Please give some feedback, Thanks

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Last I heard they were really, really expensive to talk on (something like $5 a minute), but it was quite a few years ago. I would think a decent cell phone and a good company would have about all the service you need, I have sprint currently, and I have service I bet 90-95% of the time, and it usually doesn’t take much to find service. Sure If you fished Boundry waters a lot, or Canada a lot, It would probably be worth it (if you needed to call, it would be well worth $5 a mim , I’m sure), IMO. Personally it’s probably a bit “overkill” for an everyday useage, but that’s just my idea. I’d like to know what you decide, and if you do go this way how it works for you.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

We had GSM service while I was in the gulf, don’t know about cost here, but we were paying $1.15 a minute to call 12,000 miles back to the states, so it can’t be that expensive back here. As for connectivity, I’ve never seen a place where our GSM phones didn’t work they were awesome!

Bob Carlson

I’m getting one for $30/month and 600 minutes…..with free weekend/nites! no long dist…….

gregory
    Red wing,mn

whos the service with? sounds like a good deal.

Bob Carlson

Cellularone

kenwarren
    Olin, Iowa

Sorry if this dissapoints you but GSM is not a satellite phone like Iridium or Globalstar (if it is still around). GSM is simply a cell standard that was popular in Europe while we used CDMA or TDMA standards here. Now TDMA is fading out and GSM is being brought in by Cingular and others.

I can comment too much on what to expect but I do feel as it is not as plentyful as CDMA. If you live in a city you probably will not have too much trouble with it but out in the country it might dissapoint you. I am told there is no analog cellular back-up for fringe areas on the GSM phones.

I have USCellular here in Iowa with CDMA and have found very few occasions when it didn’t work and I spend a lot of time on the river or in the country. I not sure how it will work where you are, however.

Now if we want to discuss Satelite Phones I can do that. I had one for many months a few years ago when I worked for Motorola developing phones for the Iridium Satellite Network. They work wonderfull from anywhere on the globe but not as easy to use as a cellphone. Also somewhat pricey but great if cell not available.

OH and I’m not sure but the GSM is French but is something like Global System Mobile.

Ken

Bob Carlson

Ken, I’m not sure where I got the idea that the S in GSM meant Satellite? I looked back at my paper work and it only say’s GSM? I do remember that my sales guy said that this new GSM cellphone would preform up to 30% better! In our area……..I just hope it works better period. I have alot of dead spots around Mille Lacs Lake.

Thanks for spelling that out for us!

kenwarren
    Olin, Iowa

One last thing. If you truly need satellite coverage. Iridium will work anywhere on the globe. Phone about $1400 and you can buy pre-paid cards if you use it only occasionally. Costs $2-3 per minute but if you truly have no other option might not be bad idea.

Here is their web page.

Ken

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.