Bad weather

• Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Just thought I would mention that several site members live in the towns that got pummelled by this afternoon’s storms. I drove home through one heck of a squall, with sirens sounding about every 15 minutes. The news had copter footage of Palo, where several houses got picked up and scattered in pieces making a line of scrap lumber that crossed the river and headed for Hiawatha.

If y’all could keep Crawford, Big B, BFD, and others that live in the CR/WCF corridor in your well-wishes for the evening, I’m sure they would appreciate it.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Did all the site users from Iowa escape the storm damage? We got alot of rain and hail in the last few days in NW IA.About 4-5 inches of rain in the last 2 days in my area.I hope the Iowa Great Lakes did get a bunch of rain because the lakes were 2-3′ low.They need much needed rain and run-off to bring them back up.Headed up that way this a.m. to chase a few eyes,well see how it looks.
    Ryan Hale

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

We only had a handful of downed trees and a houseful of frightened kids. Things could have been a lot worse.

Hope everyone else made it through ok.

Brian Lyons

Okay Here
    Did get called in to work at 11:00 last nite and worked till noon today. Just alot of water and lightning, no wind damage for us. Some folks in IA. had it much worse.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Okay, Saturday was my 21st birthday, didn’t even know we had a storm. (was mostly comatose all the way home) Woke up in the morning, there’s water in my basement and the local golf course has become a lake! lots of water!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Wifey said that the news last night had pictures of Manchester and Independence. Both downtowns are underwater. News said there was a solid 5′ of water over hwy 13, which seems to me puts the Maquoketa about 15′ above normal levels. Burger King and Hardees were underwater, and the Catholic school had the storm sewers back up into the basement. I guess the priest said they had sandbags over the drains, and when someone moved one a geyser shot about 6′ into the air.

One things for sure, these water levels are nothing to be trifled with. I was out at Palo on Sunday, and JC’s house was still standing. The Ford and the Triton were gone, so I’m kind of wondering if he came home from work on Friday and hitched it up while the sirens were blaring and the houses across Blairs Ferry Road were being shredded by tornados. I thought I was the only one who’s ever pulled my wife out of the basement to help hitch up the boat

Stay safe out there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.