New season, new gear…what to get rods/reels

• recon033

This is the first year in a while I have been able to put a lot of time into my fishing. Its time to get some new gear. I am planning on dropping a decent chunk of money, but want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck.

I need some rod and reel set ups. This is the first time I have ever planned to spend money on “the nice stuff.” I am looking for a couple set ups that I can rig up and have on the boat for quick switches between the rigs I have set up for the day. What would you recommend someone like me? I fish three to five times a week whether it be for an hour or whole day. On my primary lake I vertical jig for eyes, drop shot for bass and throw crank baits and spinner baits for bass and pike and on the occasion slip bobbers for eyes and pan fish. I also walk a river locally and fish small mouths in shallow and rocky water but there are some big pike in there when you actually find them. I understand rods now a days are made for every situation you could want. Pairing up a reel with these rods is something that has often put me in a guessing game. I dont know what goes best with what. I can use a bait caster, so I also should figure out what rods I should have a bait caster on and what I should leave spinning on. What kind of set ups do you use for the type of fishing you do? Any suggestions for me?

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

One of the rods I’d look into for your situation is the St. Croix Mojo Bass 69mlxf. It’s a dropshot rod, but I use it for pitching and vertical jigging eyes all the time. In that $100 range, this is a pretty versatile rig that you can do a lot with. I pitch 1/8 jigs to wing dams all summer with this, and it’s great for that. I can throw smaller cranks with it pretty easily too.

Pair that with a Pflueger President in the 30 size, and you have a very versatile combo.

Not sure about the bass/pike rods for the bigger stuff though. Wish I could be more help there.

rjmoore_33
    Eagan, Mn

Check out the rod from Temple fork outfitters. http://tforods.com/ I bought one last year 100 bucks just to check it out. I was amazed on the sensativity. i like it better then my croix’s. for the money it is a great buy. They are desinged by Gary Loomis.

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

Why not go custom??
    I heard TUC is coming out with an entire line of semi custom openwater rods. Starting at below $200 is what I heard.

Custom is something that you can fish with for years and your take pride knowing you own something that is truly yours.

Just my .015 cents… I don’t quite have .02 anymore.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Touch base with Dean Marshall. He set me up great. St.Croix rod and President reel. I love the combo.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

If you are looking around $100…honestly this is where a lot of good market competition is… For your walleye jigging and Smallie dropshot… Dont overlook Limit Creek’s 6’9″ Smoothie, The Al Lindner Signature rods, and the new Wright McGill Walleye Tony Roach signature line…all at or under $100. Lots of choices in that price point!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

One of the rods I’d look into for your situation is the St. Croix Mojo Bass 69mlxf. It’s a dropshot rod, but I use it for pitching and vertical jigging eyes all the time. In that $100 range, this is a pretty versatile rig that you can do a lot with. I pitch 1/8 jigs to wing dams all summer with this, and it’s great for that. I can throw smaller cranks with it pretty easily too.

Pair that with a Pflueger President in the 30 size, and you have a very versatile combo.

Not sure about the bass/pike rods for the bigger stuff though. Wish I could be more help there.

I would second the mojo. Dean set me up with one of these for pitching a while back and I love it. I have fished with the limit creek rod as well and for me the croix felt much better.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The president is an awesome reel, but if you are looking to upgrade the arbor is really nice if you plan on having a braided line on and their new purist reels feel sweet as well. I have found fishing from shore a rod around 7′ is a must to get it where I want it.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

I buy all my stuff on ebay and its usually about 3 years old

Shimano Reels – solid.

Diawa Fuego Reels are not very durable.

G Loomis GLX Rods – don’t pay more than about $150 each. Awesome Rods!!!!

Dog

Dog

artifishal

How much money are you looking to spend? How many rods and reels are you looking to purchase?

Vertical Jigging Walleye Rod and Reel: 6’3″ ML Extra Fast or 6’6″ ML Fast St. Croix Eyecon paired with a 1000 series Shimano (Sahara, Symetre, Saros) Saros is one of the best reels for your money, IMO because you get two spools.

Drop Shot Bass Rod: Shimano Compre 6’8″ M Fast Action (Fishes like a Med. Light) paired with a 1000 or 2500 series Shimano (Sahara, Symetre, Saros).

Crankbait and Spinnerbait Bass and Pike Rod: Fenwick Silverhawk 7′ MH Med. Fast paired with a Shimano Citica or Curado baitcasting reel.

tweak

Quote:

I buy all my stuff on ebay and its usually about 3 years old

Shimano Reels – solid.

Diawa Fuego Reels are not very durable.

G Loomis GLX Rods – don’t pay more than about $150 each. Awesome Rods!!!!

Dog

Hmm, I have had the red spinning fuego and the silver one too. They have been great for me.

Sandbags
    SE Wisconsin

Quote:

How much money are you looking to spend? How many rods and reels are you looking to purchase?

Vertical Jigging Walleye Rod and Reel: 6’3″ ML Extra Fast or 6’6″ ML Fast St. Croix Eyecon paired with a 1000 series Shimano (Sahara, Symetre, Saros) Saros is one of the best reels for your money, IMO because you get two spools.

Drop Shot Bass Rod: Shimano Compre 6’8″ M Fast Action (Fishes like a Med. Light) paired with a 1000 or 2500 series Shimano (Sahara, Symetre, Saros).

Crankbait and Spinnerbait Bass and Pike Rod: Fenwick Silverhawk 7′ MH Med. Fast paired with a Shimano Citica or Curado baitcasting reel.

The old Saros came with 2 spools. The new one does not.

recon033

Quote:

Thank you everyone for the input. This is more along the lines of what I was looking for. I would like to keep the prices of the rods and reels about the same. Try to work around the same average price, everyone knows when you can spend less the better but you gotta pay for the good stuff sometimes. I do not want to get anymore than 6 rods at the time. I will probably start purchasing after the weekend just making sure I cover everything before I do so. Thanks again from everyone, if you have any other ideas please feel free to tip in.

run&gun
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

The old Saros came with 2 spools. The new one does not.

Really, I wonder why. All I use to buy is stradic and saros. Great reels.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.