Truck Tire Question

• cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Time for new truck tires. Have a 2005 F-150 with 145,000. I have had two sets of tires, both BFGoodrich P275/65R18, Rugged Trail T/A. I’ve been very happy with these tires, getting an average of 72,000 miles on each set.

So I should get another set right? Shopping tires on the internet I could save $200 on a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3.

Anyone have any experience with the Coopers? Or am I getting what I pay for here?

Thanks,

Eric

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I have a Cooper dealer in Inver Grove Heights and that is all I have ever used on both car and truck. 80,000 miles has been the norm for me with no odd wear on them provided you follow the typical rotation rules…Good luck…RR

jbob
    Hastings, MN

I have had cooper tires on my 3/4 ton chev and only got about 46,000 miles on them. I bought them to save money. I now have goodyear the same as the truck came with and have 45,000 miles on them and still will be good for another 30,000 the way they look. By what your truck came with.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m seeing good wear on my latest BF Rugged Terrains but as aggresive as they look they are not siped and not good on ice and snow. Yet are still quite loud. Not sure I would recommend.

BBKK
    IA

My father has coopers on his tahoe. Steel was showing a 31000 on the front tires. Took them back to the dealer and the dealer checked the truck and said he didnt know what was going on, nothing was out of align. I told him to switch brands but he went with the same tires again, so we’ll see what happens this time.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I’ve been driving on a set of AT3s for a month now and have been very impressed with the traction. We got damn near 2 feet of snow in one shot back in December and I was out driving around in it since I do snow removal. I can’t say those tires broke loose 1 time. As far as wear goes, time will tell, but I checked a lot of reviews on them before buying and saw nothing but good things.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Time for new truck tires. Have a 2005 F-150 with 145,000. I have had two sets of tires, both BFGoodrich P275/65R18, Rugged Trail T/A. I’ve been very happy with these tires, getting an average of 72,000 miles on each set.

So I should get another set right? Shopping tires on the internet I could save $200 on a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3.

Eric,

You are in the same boat as me only with a few more miles. My 2nd set of BF’s didn’t last as long as my first due to a lack of rotation on my part. So, I ordered new tires from Discount Tire’s ebay store. Got the Cooper AT3s. Had them installed on November 5th ish. So far, I’m very happy with them. Not too noisy on the road and good traction. The only thing I was told when they were installed was they don’t sell many out in SD due to the lack of longevity if you drive a lot of gravel.

Given the price I paid, I think got a good deal.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Got Coopers on both my vehicles…. ’02 Silverado 4×4 and ’02 explorer 4×4. There’s a reason they are a little cheaper. Won’t come anywhere near the mileage stated…..on either vehicle.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Anyone have any experience with the Coopers? Or am I getting what I pay for here?

Thanks,

Eric

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 72,000 miles is very good for a set of tires. I went with Cooper my last set and am not impressed at all.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks,

Eric

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 72,000 miles is very good for a set of tires. I went with Cooper my last set and am not impressed at all.

I agree with this. I have seen nothing but high mileage out of BF’s products over the years. I am still in the investigating stage trying everything I can but it takes forever since you seldom need new tires.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I also saved over $300.00 versus BF tires. What is that worth? I guess time will tell.

john-o
    Hastings, MN

Over the last 20 years I have been putting on about 35K miles per year on a full size pickup. I have tried a lot of tires, to me the hands down best is Michelin. I have Michelin LTX M/S2’s on right now and they are great. They aren’t super aggressive, but for ride, noise, fuel mileage, and wear they are fantastic. They are expensive, but after doing the math they are the best value for me.

I really didn’t like driving my wife’s car, it was loud and had a choppy ride. Put a set of Michelin tires on it this fall and it’s like a completely different car.

I know opinions are like you know what, but I really think you get what you pay for with tires.

igotone

Quote:

Over the last 20 years I have been putting on about 35K miles per year on a full size pickup. I have tried a lot of tires, to me the hands down best is Michelin. I have Michelin LTX M/S2’s on right now and they are great. They aren’t super aggressive, but for ride, noise, fuel mileage, and wear they are fantastic. They are expensive, but after doing the math they are the best value for me.

I really didn’t like driving my wife’s car, it was loud and had a choppy ride. Put a set of Michelin tires on it this fall and it’s like a completely different car.

I know opinions are like you know what, but I really think you get what you pay for with tires.

same story here

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

If you have the $$$ I would go with the Wrangler Duratrack. I had them on my 04′ f150 same tire size last time I got tires.

They are a 10 ply E rated tire. Sieped well and offer great snow and ice as well as off road traction. They do have some noise but for me it was a great trade off. HIGHLY recommend this tire.

I changed out at 80,000 and would have had plenty of wear to make it through the summer but wanted better rubber for winter so I changed them.

I put on the Maxxis BigHorn, they do not do too well on Ice and snow as there is no sieping and are pretty loud. At 230,000 miles I was just looking for an aggressive tire at a lower price to run while I run the truck into the ground. Pd $1000 for the Maxxis recently and about $1200 for the Duratracks 2.5 years ago.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

BFG’s….

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

Quote:

same story here

Me too! Great tires! Not cheap but worth every penny.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Hankook… ’nuff said

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

Like the old Chev vs Ford- everyone has their opinions.I myself have had Coopers on the last 5 Vehivles and have given me 100% great wear and no issues at all. My last set Of ATs lasted me 48000 miles and I just replaced them with another exact tire. These are on a 2002 Ford F350 SD Diesel.If you keep ANY tire balanced, frontend aligned and rotations followed you can get alot of miles on any tires.

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

Coopers are less $$$ and unless you rotate religiously you won’t get your mileage. Also if you drive short trips,gravel, tow something heavy you won’t get the mileage that someone who travels alot gets. That is true of all tires. The more aggressive your tires are also makes them wear out faster. If you don’t get the mileage out of your Coopers go back to your dealer. Cooper is a very easy company to work with to get an adjustment. The best mileage tire I know of is the Michelin but they are pricey.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

After lots of exploration and questioning, I went with the Nitto Terra Grappler. I’d encourage you to check them out. Got a full set for my ’06 F150 for $640.00.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Love my cooper at3. 35000 on my f350 towing everyday plowing in winter great tire for the money. : it depends on what you want out of a tire. You give up longevity for traction. Michelin has hard rubber last long big lest grip. The mileage stated is a estimate but depends on driving habits it is not a guarantee. If you get 35-40000on a light truck you are doing well on a all Terrain tire. Highway a bit more. I have run just about every lt truck tire on my 8 trucks and been happy with the coopers next fav would be Firestone transforce at. Bf Goodrich tire great grip but soft..

smoke grub

I have used the bf goodrich at’s my self.. and they have been great. you want to save a buck.. get them at SAM’s club.. instant savings and a great snow and ice tire.. I am on my second set, however I have put well over 100,000 miles on my truck since I bought it.. in fact I put on 135,000 miles on this truck.. do the math..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.