Dog Question?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Been wondering about this for a while. Our dog gets feed once a day towards evening. after everytime he gets feed he wonders off to a bed room looking for something to bring us. Usually socks, slippers, kids stuffed animal, ect. Find what ever it is he can find, brings it over to one of us and drops it on the floor. Sometimes he will cruise all the bed rooms or even down stairs looking for that just right thing to bring back.

Why the heck does he do this?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

He loves you.

kroger3
    blaine mn

You may be onto something… Start putting beer cans in socks around the house and work on it from there… you get a treat and I get a beer!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Yea, I sure would think it is all about a level of contentment and overall comfort. We have a cocker that will always go grab a ball, or toy after eating. She doesn’t really want to run and play as much as it seems like just a “happy time” if that makes sense.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

He loves you.

Thats what I was worried about. Luckily he is just bringing us the stuff and not chewing it up. Of course he does try to sneak out side with a item every once and a while. Then what ever it is is shredded to buried. Found one of the wifes slippers last summer while digging for the septic tank cover.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

My dog used to bring me his bowl when it was empty. Now that I live with Michelle it is never empty, so I don’t see that happen anymore.

Now all 3 dogs like to get a mouth full of food, carry it to a slipper or something in the living room (sometimes me if i am on the floor), drop it there and then eat it. I wonder what that behavior is about? I always thought it was something still in them from when a pack would eat a carcass. Any thoughts?

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Quote:

My dog used to bring me his bowl when it was empty. Now that I live with Michelle it is never empty, so I don’t see that happen anymore.

Now all 3 dogs like to get a mouth full of food, carry it to a slipper or something in the living room (sometimes me if i am on the floor), drop it there and then eat it. I wonder what that behavior is about? I always thought it was something still in them from when a pack would eat a carcass. Any thoughts?

Pugs run in packs? I thought they were more of a solitary animal in the wild. Wouldn’t be a safe cricket for hundreds of feet.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Mine is a golden retriever. Got him used a number of years ago. Thought maybe the previous owner might of done some type of training with him or maybe some pack instinct. Guess he could have much worse habits.

Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

We have a chocolate. Whenever we come home or he gets fed it’s the same thing. Its gotten so bad that if he comes empty handed we ask him “where’s your toy”, and he brings one. I think it is totally contentment.

WS

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My golden does it with socks whenever she is happy. She also robs any socks or underwear a guest may leave on the floor. We’ve had some embarrasing moments with that one.

In 9 years she has never harmed any clothing. Its cute as heck.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s where my underwear went!

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Depending on what he is picking up… My guess is that he is trying to get the taste out of his mouth! But the underwear comment above puts the kabosh on that theory.

jerry b
    western WI

Funny we should be discussing this right now. My chocolate pup just brought me a really nasty handkerchief from the dirty clothes basket. She’s exceptional at dirty socks too. Wifey has a hissy-fit when she dives into her clothes basket. jerr

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

That’s where my underwear went!

No, that was the Underpants Gnomes

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Well, I originally thought it was ‘Zuki that stole them, so I’m more at ease with the gnomes.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

I live with three French Bulldogs. I feed them, then they go crap on the floor. You’ve got it good!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I originally thought it was ‘Zuki that stole them, so I’m more at ease with the gnomes.

I feel that I am being unfairly targeted here and am not entirely comfortable with your statements. Let it be known to all that we have not formally met and I have never seen, let alone taken, Ryan’s underbritches.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

My dog eats used snot rags (kleenix) from the bathroom garbage can. What’s up with that?

-J.

Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

Quote:

She also robs any socks or underwear a guest may leave on the floor.

Do a lot of your guests take off their underwear and leave them on your floor?

Just curious

WS

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

His main concern (eating) has been addressed he is now looking to play because he loves you.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Same at our house JJ, used kleenexes when we come home, everytime we leave the bathroom door open.

I guess at your house and mine, our guests leave their underwear on.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

She also robs any socks or underwear a guest may leave on the floor.

Do a lot of your guests take off their underwear and leave them on your floor?

Just curious

WS

Just the good looking ones.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

His main concern (eating) has been addressed he is now looking to play because he loves you.

Would think this is true if he acted like he wanted to play. He just slowly brings them over and gently put them on the ground. When he wants to play its a ball one of his ropes that he brings over and dropping in your lap. Then stares and growls at you.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I live with three French Bulldogs. I feed them, then they go crap on the floor. You’ve got it good!

Oh, poor you. My dog eats poop in the yard. Last night it was too cold to eat…..

…outside, so he brought a frozen lump in the house with him. The bastage snuck right by me.

Our friend has a couple French Bulldogs. Cute buggers. She had another one who had the greatest temperament. Built like a brickhouse too. Poor guy died very quickly of spine cancer. We even miss him even though he wasn’t our dog.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Just start training him to bring you beers after he eats that’s is much better than some socks.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Started to do that with a rooms mates dog years ago until we realized it was not a good idea to teach the dog how to open the fridge. He could also not carry a beer down the steps. Would drop them at the top and let them roll down.

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

Quote:

My dog eats used snot rags (kleenix) from the bathroom garbage can. What’s up with that?

-J.

My two year old lab loves dirty Kleenex from the garbage, I even caught her the other day eating a roll of toilet paper. But her favorite is deer poo she can’t seem to get enough when we go for are walks.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.