droid razr maxx hd or iphone 5

• Chris
    Rochester, MN

I’ve been able to get myself past all of the reasons that have kept me in the same flip phone for the last 2.5 years… I could go into those reasons but I’ve already convinced myself to make the move to something smarter. Now I just need to decide which device to buy… Any opinions on this? (yeah, I know, dumb question)

Thanks…
    Chris

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Samsung Galaxy S3

chubby
    Bloomington

Ditto Galaxy S3

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Really like my Razr Maxx though it is not the HD. Had the Samsung Galaxy 3 first…fancy but the poorest reception I had ever had with a cell phone.
    Chris Beeksma

fishinfool
    mn

Save yourself some money and go with the Iphone4. its free with 2 year activation and has no bug issues to work out. Verizon salespersons will rank it better than Galaxy on ease of use and programs. The 5s seem to have application issues or the applications themselves have issues from what i see. the 4 is an excellent phone and so easy to use and top notch in product.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I love my S3. People think I have bad battery life because I have a charger at home, the office and in the truck. The truth is I need them because I use the dang phone so much.

Of the people I know who own one, there have been no complaints.

I know you are asking about a Razr Maxx though and not surprisingly I say go with that. My nephew got a iPhone 5 and after only a few days is bringing it back to get an Android phone which he had before.

Again, that’s just me. I am not looking for a peeing match with an iPhone person. My girlfriend, her friend, her friends boyfriend and the moms all have Apple phones and iPads.

Before I got the OS update, my friend was amazed how much faster it was over his iPhone. He’d really have his mind blown with the new OS update (Jellybean Android 4.1).

Not sure if this helped, but that’s my 2 cents.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Quote:

Really like my Razr Maxx though it is not the HD. Had the Samsung Galaxy 3 first…fancy but the poorest reception I had ever had with a cell phone.
    Chris Beeksma

Chris, can you comment more on the reception issues! Looking at switching over to verison from sprint and going with the s3! I have poor reception with my current smart phone and dont want to have another 2 years with reception problems!

joe-bauman
    Rochester, MN

Chris I’m in the same boat, although I have the original Droid and my contract has been up for about a year. The Verizon rep told me they have several customers who complain about poor signal with Samsung G3. I really like my Droid and like the new 4G service upgrading will provide, but am torn between IPhone5 and new Droid Maxx. (kind of pissed at Apple for bringing out new cord charger as my other electronic items are not compatible without an adapter but understand how technology changes).

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Recently bought my wife our first iPhone. Will be the last. It works well for her but I hate their exclusivity.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I went from the Droid Razr Maxx to the Droid Razr Maxx HD. It only took me a few days to return it. Now I’m on the Droid Razr HD. It’s going back too. It’s not nearly as bad as the Maxx HD, but it’s still not functioning up to the original Razr Maxx. The battery life is my biggest concern. This past week out in SD with good 3G service I was charging twice a day. Just not acceptable.

My boss has been running the Samsung S3 for a while. He really likes it.

I’m struggling making a decision. In the past, I’ve had great luck with the Motorola line of phones. However they seem to have missed the bus on these most recent devices.

stuart
    Mn.

Friends and family have both.We all prefer the droid.Those that have Iphones will be going back to the droids.

Palerider77

I went from a droid x to an IPhone 5. I like the IPhone better. The camera is better an the user interface is smoother. Also, I think a company is within its rights to protect its intellectual property. I use ford parts when I am working on my ford. Also, what do you plan on using it for? Most people have smart phones for entertainment, and do not really use them for any type of productivity. I run a business that is 100% mobile, and the iPhone works well for that. If I did not use it for work, I would not waste the money on any kind of smartphone. Buy a new flasher instead, that is way more fun!

chamre68
    Moorhead, MN

Had both, go with iPhone all the way. Wife got a new Samsung and she’s had too many issues with it. I hated Apple but now love their products. Heck I am even going to get an iMac when I get my next computer.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Living here in northern WI we have two choices of carriers…Verizon and AT&T and neither are very good. So, reception of signal is a big issue. My wife and I both bought Galaxy 3’s the second day they came out. Loved all the fancy features but compared to her previous Droid 2 (which was a great phone) and my previous Galaxy S the reception was very poor in simialar areas. I asked the salesman at Best Buy what phone he would recommend for best reception esp in northern WI and he stated Motorola has always been known for best signal reception. My wife went with the Droid Razr and I went with the Razr maxx and have been very happy with them. Battery life unfort has been an issuue with the Razr but the Razr maxx takes care of that. Love the camera for fishing pics!!!

Chris Beeksma

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I like my S3 also. I have Sprint and finally LTE is in the process of being installed in the Rochester area.

Not Apple hater but believe in open systems and will not buy their proprietary products and high priced accessories. Just my opinion which last I checked I have a right to.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I hear the iPad 5 is supposed to come out in March. Looks like they are shortening their development cycle to keep things fresh maybe to counter the multiple Android manufacturers where there is always a new phone on the horizon.

PB2

Sounds like a few us are in the same boat … I’ve been going back and fourth between the Razr MAXX and I-Phone 5 with the Samsung 3 a distant 3rd.
    I almost went to Sams and got the Samsung3 for .96 cents on Black Friday but didn’t want to wait inline.

I’m surprised to see a poster that is not happy with the RAZR Maxx, in my research thats been pretty non-existent for the most part.

The Samsung just doesn’t feel right in my hands like the Razr Maxx it’s too big, I’m sure I’d get use to it plus it feels a bit cheap to me. The reception issues are the real deal killer on that phone.
    I-Phone 5 is the perfect size, takes better pictures then the rest, but as mentioned above the whole Apple debacle is a downer and no expandable memory is disappointing.

For anybody in the know do any of the I-Phone 4 or 4/s have 4G Internet speeds? I thought it was just the I-5 that had 4G?
    That would be a deal killer for the I-4’s…

PB2

Also I know the I=Phone 5 doesn’t come with Google maps has anybody heard how the Google Maps APP works on the I=Phone 5 as I’ve heard that was just released.

lundproangler
    Cold Spring, MN

Love my iPhone 5.

The Google map app works great, no need for the Garmin in the car anymore.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I-Phone 5…takes better pictures then the rest

Oh really?

PB2

Yes sir really ..

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Also I know the I=Phone 5 doesn’t come with Google maps has anybody heard how the Google Maps APP works on the I=Phone 5 as I’ve heard that was just released.

Every company stubs their toe from time to time…releasing 5 with an extremely substandard Apple map app was a stub for Apple.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Yes sir really ..

Where’d you get that or is it your own humble opinion? Its ok, I am not looking for a cat fight, just curious, because I think my S3 takes extremely good pictures.

danno
    Central MN

Quote:

I went from the Droid Razr Maxx to the Droid Razr Maxx HD. It only took me a few days to return it. Now I’m on the Droid Razr HD. It’s going back too. It’s not nearly as bad as the Maxx HD, but it’s still not functioning up to the original Razr Maxx. The battery life is my biggest concern. This past week out in SD with good 3G service I was charging twice a day. Just not acceptable.

I have the Maxx HD and never had anything close to what you described as far as battery life issues. The thing just goes and goes.

The HD and Maxx HD are great phones. Love it.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Thanks all. I went with the maxx hd and so far think I made the right choice but it’s only been 1/2 day. As for a protection plan, Verizon’s cost for the phone was $300 and Amazon’s cost was $200 so I told them I would buy the protection plan if they gave me Amazon’s price–they did. So now I’m protected if I drop it in the water, or even lose it ($150 deductible…). Worth the $30 I ended up paying for it if I need it.

Thanks for all your input

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That’s weird. I pay monthly for my protection. They will replace my phone with the same model, but a refurbished unit.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

They had an installment price for the protection plan or you can pay it all up front for less. The plan is through ProtectCELL.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Truth be told, I haven’t looked at the insurance for 4 years. I’ll wait until I need it I guess.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Like othesr above… I also have the Galaxy S3. LOVE that device. I have never had an IPhone.. but I do have an IPod.. which, from what I understand… is basically the same as an IPhone but without the calling features. Since I bought the Ipod… I have WISHED for an android based music/internet device. I do NOT care for these hand-held apple devices. I am a die-hard Android fan. The GS3 is AWESOME as a phone/electronic device. Can’t quite call them phones anymore because they are so much more. They can do the same as the IPhones as well. The other day.. family and I were headed to Red Lobster. Was quite cool to just click a button and say “Navigate to Red Lobster”. The GPS/Navigation program came up and guided me to where we had to go. Seriously.. clicked 1 button, said what I needed.. and got there. Can do thousands of things with that function.

The only down-side.. I tried using the voice command “Find Deoderant for Brian K”.. and the navigation routed me to some land-fill… Oh well.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

I have WISHED for an android based music/internet device.

You have one and don’t know it. I just got an S3 and put a 64GB micro SD in it just for the purpose of holding music in locally in the phone when I don’t have an internet connection (like a long drive when I jump from tower to tower and lose it for a few minutes).

I have a DSLR if I want to take real photos and my camera phone is only used for “stuff”.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.