Pickled Herring and Lutefisk.

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Pickled Herring and Lutefisk. Its starting to look a lot like Christmas at the Westman house. 4 pounds of lutefisk fresh from Day mn. When the wife went to pick it up today there was a guy standing outside the door. She asked him if that was the line to go in. He said no, he was just trying to work up the courage to open the door.

And if the 4 pounds of lutefisk was not enough she had them throw in a gallon of pickled for good measure. Now thats some good eats.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If you are not sure of where to go in day to get the pickled herring and lutefisk just follow your nose or look for this sign. Looks like the fumes may of eaten some of the paint off the sign.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Yep, lye will eat the paint off a sign. Had a uncle that ate Lutefisk, always was a skinny guy, wonder if the lye was eating him from the inside out??

Merry Christmas Mike, enjoy the eats! Hard to beat Herring over the Christmas holidays.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Pickled herring has been in the house for a month now. My Dad hunts right next to the Day fish company (literally) so he always picks up a couple jugs during deer hunting. That and some egg nog really hit the spot. Grandma makes Lutefisk on Christmas day. I can’t say I love it, but I eat it with butter or a white sauce and its pretty good. Its good on mashed potatoes too.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Was at Ingelbritsens market a few days ago and a gal asked the butcher if the lutefisk was fresh, he said, Of course not lady, it wouldn’t be lutefisk if it was fresh….

I’ll be here all week..

Al

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Personally I always look for the Olsen Fish Co. herring and Lutefisk…Thats the good stuff! RR

Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

My being Swiss, I have had very little to do with Lutefisk.

My dad always gagged at the thought of it. As a little boy, he used to have to boil fish to feed the hogs. He said the smell of the steam hitting you in the face, as you lifted the lid, was the same smell that hit you when entering a church during a Lutefisk feed.

My Father-In-Law always boasted that as much as he hated his wife, she made without a doubt the world’s best Lutefisk. For ten years I watched him gulp the stuff down always having to come up with a reason to pass on giving it a try. One day while under the influence I finally gave in and took a double scoop of Lutefisk, plus a double, double of the cream sauce.Yep, Dad was sure right.

I am guessing it’s an acquired taste thing. Bottom line, you enjoy it and that’s what matters.

Now as far as the herring goes, yum. In my opinion Day Fish Co. is the place to beat. That being said , I may have to head there tomorrow. Enjoy the EATS!

Bambino

chomps
    Sioux City IA

we always have the stuff for our traditional family meal up at the folk’s place. I can handle a small amount of lutefisk all covered up, but bring on the herring, we go through the 3# tub over the weekend. Day or Olsen’s both are A-OK

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Does anybody know where I can try some already cooked?? Somewhere in the West suburbs??

When I check last yr Ingebretsen’s didn’t have any pre-cooked. I don’t want to cook it but rather eat some already made.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

You can keep the herring Mike, but I’m all in on the lutefisk… Enjoy!

big_g
    Isle, MN

you can keep the lutefisk… I’ll eat a jar of Bubbies pickled herring by myself and I’m as German as you can get…

re-tired
    wi

Got a cousin who bought 85 lbs. of lutefisk just for his own use. He can keep it.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Seems like most cultures have some oddities or creative tastes. Growing up, our family butchered pigs and cattle. I tell you, a nice afternoon making blood sausage with the Krapfl family has to be up there with eating lutefisk. That being said, can’t say I mind a nice piece of blood sausage and some good rye bread, maybe a beer, or two.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Post Script:

This is blood sausage, in case you’ve never seen it. Don’t ask what the chunks are.

big_g
    Isle, MN

My parents did the same…. cheeks, ears, tongue, eyes, you name it !!! I worked at the local grocery store/butcher shop as a kid, they made some mean headcheese too… Another acquired taste…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Did you guys pickle the pigs feet. Throw in some good pickled pigs feet and there’s a party. Anyone know of a decent place to buy pickled pigs feet? All I ever see are the all fat ones in the jar at the local store.

Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

https://louiesfinermeats.com

They had a whole section of headcheese, blood sausage, and assorted bohemian treats. I remember as a kid eating blood sausage and of course potato dumplings. And yes the head cheese was a favorite. This is a very clean butcher shop and well worth the drive.

WS

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

No lutefisk, headcheese or blood sausage for me. My grandmother who was full blooded norwegion had lutefisk every year for Christmas eve for the whole family. I couldn’t stand the stuff. And the headcheese and blood sausage she made gagged me to death just to look at the jellied stuff. I have a very week stomach.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.