Vinegar and boat cleaning

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Since I can’t get out fishing today… going to try and clean some of the built up water spots off my aluminum boat. Is a mix of vinegar a good thing? Just spray it on, and maybe soap off?

Seems even after trying to soap clean and use a wax cleaner, it just never looks decent.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

50/50 vinegar water. You can even go 75% vinegar. No need to soap it off. Only thing I found that it doesn’t work well on is road salt.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I bought a used boat a few years back and it was kept on a lift all year. The scum was unbelievable. Straight vinegar and tons of elbow grease worked great, followed by a couple coats of wax.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I mix water and vinegar in a bucket then apply. should get rid of all the water spots.
    I would use soap/water first if it was dirty…

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I use an eye ball measurement of 50/50 vinegar and water. Increase vinegar for tough stains.

I use a spray bottle and apply liberally. I let it soak in for a short period of time and follow by pressure washing the boat.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I use an eye ball measurement of 50/50 vinegar and water. Increase vinegar for tough stains.

I use a spray bottle and apply liberally. I let it soak in for a short period of time and follow by pressure washing the boat.

As about but I use my little 3 gallon sprayer to apply liberally, the power wash and repeat as necessary. My rig is white fiberglass, works great….good luck..

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Thanks all…. I know how part of my afternoon will be spent. Red Wing, or anywhere sure sounds better, but….

Paul Delaney

I have been cleaning my fiberglass boats for years using either a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water or a 50/70/30 mix adding windex this helps add a little extra shine. Either mix works great for an every day wipe down or removing stubborn water spots.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

glb
    Twin Cities

We had a 1995 19 ft Four Winns fiberglass boat for 18 years and used a 50/50 vinegar and water mix to clean it. It worked very well. We would wet a corner of a towel or a separate wash rag with the vinegar mix and wipe clean and dry the sides of the boat from the gunnel to the chine. By cleaning the boat this way we only washed the boat once or twice a year. We went boating every weekend for almost 6 months every summer and stored the boat in doors when not boating. The vinegar mix is slightly acidic and works well on water spots on fiberglass, stainless and other metal parts, and even windows. A build up of water spots for several days will take more effort to remove, but it will work. Hope this helps.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.