New Rain Gear

• Dalton Keep
    Scandia Mn

IM thinking about getting some new rain gear for next year. I have been looking at ethier the cabelas guide wear or the frabill storm suite. Are there any other good brands i should look in to?

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

I own both you have mentioned and the Frabill suit is nice cause its a little lighter but when you get a good rain it doesnt hold up like the Cabelas guide wear suit. The only other rain suit I will say is better then the Cabelas is a Simms but then you are talking about $900. My dad has one and its awesome but in the fall when its colder he wears his Cabelas most times cause its a lot warmer.

You will not regret going with Cabelas, can never go wrong with GoreTex

cnv25
    LaCrosse, WI

Can’t speak for frabil suit, but I’m on my third season with cabelas guide wear and it performs flawlessly. Spent many a day out in the cold rain thinking it was money well spent.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

I own both you have mentioned and the Frabill suit is nice cause its a little lighter but when you get a good rain it doesnt hold up like the Cabelas guide wear suit. The only other rain suit I will say is better then the Cabelas is a Simms but then you are talking about $900. My dad has one and its awesome but in the fall when its colder he wears his Cabelas most times cause its a lot warmer.

You will not regret going with Cabelas, can never go wrong with GoreTex

My experience as well. Have both. Where the Stormsuit summer months esp. big water / wind / waves…Doesn’t seem to shed water as well as the Guidewear, but still like it. Guidewear great in fall / cold, but HOT in summer. If I had to keep one, it would be the Guidewear (Cabelas). good luck….

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

If you want to be jerked around on any “Lifetime Warranty” issues go with Cabelas…

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Quote:

Quote:
    ——————————————————————————–

Gamehide,,, http://www.gamehide.com/Typhoon_Rainwear_Fishing_Parka_p/bwp.htm

That is a steal for some very nice gear. I have had the parka and bibs for 5 years….just bought another pair of bibs for that price!

Ryan

I bought a Gamehide Parka 2 years ago for the same price (59.00) and really like it. Just ordered the bibs now for 39.00. I like the Gamehide stuff way better than the Gander Guide Series that I paid twice as much for.

big_g
    Isle, MN

or to make it simple, if you want no lifetime warranty, go with the other one

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I’ve had good luck with Cabela’s Guidewear. I’ve had very good luck with Cabela’s warranty.

I had a typhoon jacket that lasted 5 years before it leaked. My wife has a Frabill Stormsuit that has been used 3 times and it kept her dry.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

Quote:

When the supply is gone its gone…Gamehide is no longer making Typhoon Parkas/Bibs. Just inexpensive PVC rain gear…

What!?Bummer. Good to know. I bought the parka earlier this year and just love the it. They are so comfortable. Just ordered the bibs. Just cant go wrong with that price

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When the supply is gone its gone…Gamehide is no longer making Typhoon Parkas/Bibs. Just inexpensive PVC rain gear…

What!?Bummer. Good to know. I bought the parka earlier this year and just love the it. They are so comfortable. Just ordered the bibs. Just cant go wrong with that price

I ordered my parka this morning. I received a e-mail this evening saying it has shipped, transit 1-2 days.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I see the Bibs are not the Typhoon but Gamehide, is that as good in quality as the Typhoon series? Does anyone know how it compairs to the Frogg Toggs Firebelly Toadz? My Dad has a set of the Firebelly and it seems pretty nice.

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/FirebellyToads.shtm

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Quote:

I see the Bibs are not the Typhoon but Gamehide, is that as good in quality as the Typhoon series?

I noticed that too about the bibs not being the Typhoon series. I should have mine either today or tomorrow. I will let you know how they compare to the Typhoon Parka. I’m not familiar with the Frog Tog stuff, so won’t be able to comment on that.

burbob
    Hastings,MN

Had good luck with my gamehide coat.

Don’t mean to hijack your post but was also looking at some new gear. Anyone have any experience with the Columbia PFG superecell suit?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Quote:

Quote:

I see the Bibs are not the Typhoon but Gamehide, is that as good in quality as the Typhoon series?

Got the Gamehide Storm Series bibs today. I think they are easily worth 39.00. The material seems very heavy duty. I like the fit of the Typhoon Parka much better than these bibs though. The parka also has an awesome hood and many very comfortable pockets. The bibs have 2 cheesy pockets on the front that aren’t the most conveniet/comfortable to get into. They don’t have any cargo type pockets.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Does anyone out there have the Guide Gear Barrage bibs and jacket, available at Sportsmans Guide? At 53 bucks for each, its very reasonable, and the reviews on their website are favorable, but looking for input from an IDO member who’s tried this gear.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.