Making jigs

• hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

I always wanted to try making my own jigs. Anyone ever made their own and could give me a little advice on how to. OR is it even worth it to make my own. I just thought it would be cooler to catch fish with a jig u know u made and maybe it saves money? i have no idea, give me some input guys. THanks a lot

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

It is way cooler to catch fish on things that you have made yourself. I started tieing my own flies for trout fishing and then fly fishing for walleye, northern and other warm water species, when I was about 10 years old. I don’t tie pretty flies, just useful ones. One of my favorites, can you guess is the woolybugger. I also make many of my own jigs. Don’t know much about it accept, I melt the lead in my lead pot, pour it the mold with the hook, clean it up, paint it or dress it and go fishing.
    There is really not a lot of money to be saved, nor is there a lot of money to be made. At least not on the small scale. It is just plain fun though to catch fish on your own creations.
    I am going to try carving cranks out of wood next. Paint them up and pull them behind my home made handline rig that I haven’t built yet. When you have more time than money, it is just fun to do things yourself. For me it makes the experience much more meaningful.

fireflick
    Alma WI

My Dad has been making jigs for….well centuries..ok is is not that old. Try giving him a call. There is a lot of hidden techniques he can share with you. Such as….when to use a lot of hair not much hair at all. Call the bait shop with 800# 1-866-219-2191. I hope that helps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.