Throwable in a boat?

• kroger3
    blaine mn

While fishing alone doesnt it seem pointless to have your throwable out? Who will throw it? I am more apt to trip on it and fall out of the boat! Hmmm….

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Maybe its so you can throw it to someone else that may be in need of help

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I had a WI DNR agent stop me and check for everything this summer. My throwable was tucked away in a closed compartment, and he gave me a hard time about it. I just was polite and took it out and said I would leave it out… he kept up on it, and eventually I uncorked (not a good ideal) and asked who the hell was going to trow it to me if I fell out of the boat (I was alone). That just created another ten minute lecture before I was able to return to fishing. Only good thing, his partner that looked to be in training laughed at him. I felt better, but assume I came a lot closer to getting a ticket for it because of it. Just hate when people are stupid about stuff…. or abuse their powers.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Nothing worse than abuse of power. Happens too frequently.

I keep mine in the in-floor compartment of my Pro Guide, which is right at my feet. If approached,or it needs use, I can simply reach down and slide it out if need be.

The way I see it, as long as it is in within arms reach,in a compartment or not, it should be legal.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

I had a young pup DNR employee tell me that the fire extinguisher should be mounted back by the engine- gas tank- battery area in my boat. I said ” you dumb where do you think the fire would most likely be?” Thats why it’s mounted mid-ship and leave me the f alone.He left real soon afterward.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I solved my throw-able out in the open problem by snapping it to the snap on cover at my bow. If needed it’s just a jerk away.

‘Course I tell folk in my boat (that are always wearing PFD’s) to just hand a person that’s in the drink my Frabil net and pull them back to the boat. Depending on the circumstances.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I generally agree with your all, but if you are in a boat that spouts a fast leak, capsizes, or hits something and throws you violently from the boat, you might not have time to get a throwable from a compartment. If it is in the water, it might save your life.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

I had a WI DNR agent stop me and check for everything this summer. My throwable was tucked away in a closed compartment, and he gave me a hard time about it. I just was polite and took it out and said I would leave it out… he kept up on it, and eventually I uncorked (not a good ideal) and asked who the hell was going to trow it to me if I fell out of the boat (I was alone). That just created another ten minute lecture before I was able to return to fishing. Only good thing, his partner that looked to be in training laughed at him. I felt better, but assume I came a lot closer to getting a ticket for it because of it. Just hate when people are stupid about stuff…. or abuse their powers.

You keep it out now?

Maybe that was his way of making sure you remember, as far as a lone, you get run into by another boat and yours start to sink, that trowable might come in handy.

Ya, boats are suppose to float, not so sure after another one hits it at 50mph though.

Anybody think if people would quit arguing with them, they might be a bit nicer?
    Least some of them.. :

Al

Mike Stephens
    WI.

If you look at my avatar my throwable is right behind my left leg. Dual- purpose as it cushions my leg from the metal seat. And Al, sometimes you have to educate the educated idiots.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Somebody quick ask John Jordan about throws…

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Somebody quick ask John Jordan about throws…

I don’t get it??? But I do have a very short memeory…

-J.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

If you look at my avatar my throwable is right behind my left leg. Dual- purpose as it cushions my leg from the metal seat. And Al, sometimes you have to educate the educated idiots.

That’s why I said, Least some of them..

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I have also been stopped by MN & WI CO’s and told it must be out and accessible at all times. I just leave it out behind some cargo netting on the bow…

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

I don’t think it is intended to be thrown to you. If you are by yourself I hope your smart enough to have your jacket on. On 2 occasions I have had to throw my throwable to someone in need.
    One time I found a guy floating without a jacket in the middle of the lake with no boat around. He was not wearing a jacket and had all he could do to stay afloat, there might not been enough time to try and get him a jacket or dig in my comartment for my throwable. After a struggle of getting him the boat we found out he was bucked from his boat and the boat kept going. We found the boat about 2 miles away on shore, still in gear and running.
    I would have to say that the throwable being out that day saved this guys life.

Use your head and keep your throwable out like it is supposed to be, you might be able to make a difference someday, plus it is the law. I know this guy was thankful I had seen him.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Readily accessible and immediately accessible seem rather open to interpretation to me. However immediately accessible seems a little more clear.

On all boats, regardless of length (including

canoes, kayaks, stand up paddleboards and duck

boats), there must be a readily accessible U.S.

Coast Guard approved Type I, II, III or V wearable

PFD (life jacket) for each person on board.

IN ADDITION, on boats 16 feet or longer (except canoes and kayaks) there must also be at

least one U.S. Coast Guard approved Type IV throwable device, such as a buoyant cushion or ring

buoy immediately available for each boat.

Readily accessible – means easily retrievable

within a reasonable amount of time in an

emergency. PFDs in plastic bags, locked

lockers, or under anchors or line are exam-

ples of PFDs that are not accessible.

Bassn Dan

Quote:

Readily accessible and immediately accessible seem rather open to interpretation to me. However immediately accessible seems a little more clear.

IN ADDITION, on boats 16 feet or longer (except canoes and kayaks) there must also be at
    least one U.S. Coast Guard approved Type IV throwable device, such as a buoyant cushion or ring

I’ve never understood the exemption for canoes. What’s more apt to have someone fall in the water:

A 90″ + wide boat, or a tippy canoe????????? If anything it would make sense to exempt the BIGGER boats and not canoes…………..

Dan

kroger3
    blaine mn

Quote:

Quote:

I’ve never understood the exemption for canoes. What’s more apt to have someone fall in the water:

A 90″ + wide boat, or a tippy canoe????????? If anything it would make sense to exempt the BIGGER boats and not canoes…………..

Dan

Or boats under 16′??? sounds like they exempt the more likely boats to fall out of…

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

The DNR has a job to do; if a required throwable is not immediately available they will tell you about; if you start arguing and swearing at them;
    you DESERVE everything you get.
    SO shut up and say yes sir.
    Jack

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.