Weekend of Monster Lake Trout

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Holy smokes, what a weekend! I’ll do a full report on this later today but I wanted to share a pic or two.

This weekend I was on Lake Superior fishing lake trout with Grant Sorensen. The bite was completely crazy. Dozens of big lakers… triples, quads… at one point we had 5 of 6 rods loaded up with BIG lakers with most fish in the high teens to 30+ lbs. Big spoons on Sufix 832 lead core behind boards kept us running from fish to fish all day until we basically ran out of steam.

Did anyone else make it out on Superior this weekend?

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Good god those are tanks!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Wow…nice fish. I bet that was a complete mayham with 5 of 6 going.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Good god those are tanks!

This was the best lake trout fishing I’ve ever heard of, read about or even spent time day dreaming about. We went over 6 hours on Sunday without ever, not once, being able to get all 6 rods in the water because we were constantly fighting double and triples and almost no fish was under 12-13 lbs. 20+ lb fish were common. We filmed it all… should make for one amazing TV show.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Wow…nice fish. I bet that was a complete mayham with 5 of 6 going.

We landed 3 of 5, all big fish. We also had a quad, landing 4 of 4 with one of those fish being a 30+ lb laker. We rarely hooked up one fish at a time… more doubles and triples than anything.

This was a trip I’ll never forget!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Good Lord that looks like fun!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Wow, the fish in the first pic has ceased to even look like a laker it is so big!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Wow, the fish in the first pic has ceased to even look like a laker it is so big!

The big ones look like a dolphin / dino hybrid in the water and make me yell and jump around and act like a kid which I really, really like.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Simply unimaginable fishing. I still have not even fully realized what we did/what we caught.

I CANNOT WAIT to see the video!! That is the best part of it all, its all on film!!!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Congrats guys on one for the permanent memory bank. It sounds and looks like the laker trip of lifetimes. This summer was good practice for fishin’ the big leagues!

Joel

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Those fish are incredible!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Awesome fish guys!
    Sounds like a laker trip of a lifetime.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

wow!!!!

Amazing fish.

bigpike

Holy Sheet those are nice, that type of fishing will test your gear quality and let you know were it stands

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Good grief…whoa!

Wisconsin I assume?

Al

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Good grief…whoa!

Wisconsin I assume?

Al

Michigan waters. I think WI and MN are closed for lakers but we did only fished MI which is open to the end of the month.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Good grief…whoa!

Wisconsin I assume?

Al

Michigan waters. I think WI and MN are closed for lakers but we did only fished MI which is open to the end of the month.

Thanks, looks like it was to far for me then..whew!
    Hate to think I missed out on the fish of a lifetime by not going last weekend.

Mich noted for big fish?

Great post James….eat my heart out.

Al

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Awesome fish, looks like a lot of fun and a fishing trip you will never forget.

ajs
    Mellen,WI

I was out on chequamegon Bay doing a bit of shallow trolling and mostly casting spoons and thundersticks in waters from 6 to as shallow as 2 feet. In front of the river mouths. Results Sore back 4 Nice coho 3 to 4 lbs lost 2 others also landed one short steelhead (trolling 8 f.o.w with thundersticks. I also lost one big steelie on a rapala trolls to 15 over 21 f.o.w it took my board under like a bobber. And i did catch a couple big smallies jigging a channel edge.

Ajs

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I was out on chequamegon Bay doing a bit of shallow trolling and mostly casting spoons and thundersticks in waters from 6 to as shallow as 2 feet. In front of the river mouths. Results Sore back 4 Nice coho 3 to 4 lbs lost 2 others also landed one short steelhead (trolling 8 f.o.w with thundersticks. I also lost one big steelie on a rapala trolls to 15 over 21 f.o.w it took my board under like a bobber. And i did catch a couple big smallies jigging a channel edge.

Ajs

This is a great time of year to be fishing the big lake!

ajs
    Mellen,WI

That it is Best part i,m only 20 miles from Her. Ajs

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

That it is Best part i,m only 20 miles from Her. Ajs

I’d never get anything done if I lived that close.

ajs
    Mellen,WI

I gotta pay the bait bill some how and it,s hard to decide where to fish. I can go after lots of nice crappies or big walleyes inland. And then theres the bay where you can catch pretty much anything that swim even crappies if you know when and where.

Ajs

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

Fantastic fish James. I would think some painkiller for the arms is in order.

chirp
    Rochester

Trip of a life time. Nice job guys. Can’t wait to see that episode.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Trip of a life time. Nice job guys. Can’t wait to see that episode.

For some reason Chirp, I’m thinking it’s not going to be this guys trip of a lifetime.

All that sucker needs is whiskers!

chirp
    Rochester

Don’t corrupt James like you do the others on this forum.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Video?

Al

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.