2002 GMC Envoy

• out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

What would you guess the problem to be?

2002 Envoy, 110K miles. The “Battery not charging” light just came on this morning. I know battery is pretty old but im thinking alternator. I did notice a smokey/burning smell this morning. I did get it started barely.

We head to Mexico Saturday morning and were planing on leave the car for my parents to use since they are watching the kids and it has all the car seats.

Thanks

Aaron

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Is there a volt gauge on the dash? If the needle is not holding on 13+ and is dancing around it means your alternator is likely going.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Proably alternator but could be bad connection or battery related.

Easy to check with a voltmeter and thats what you want to to do before these IDO do it yourselfers start throwing parts at it …Again!

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

The volt meter has always been at 13 except for this time when it barely turned over. I did notice it seemed to charge back up to 13 once I got to work.

So I thought battery since it did charge up but I smell something when it was cranking so I thought alternator.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

I am far from a car expert, but i have a 2005 Envoy that had the alternator fail on me at 115,000 miles with similar symptoms.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If the battery is old put a new battery in it. Lot easier to change out the battery on your time than on its time and it has left you some where.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

The volt meter has always been at 13 except for this time when it barely turned over. I did notice it seemed to charge back up to 13 once I got to work.

So I thought battery since it did charge up but I smell something when it was cranking so I thought alternator.

1. Battery pretty old.
    2. Barely cranked over.

Alternator is not spinning fast enough when cranking to be putting off voltage so a smell should not be produced by the alternator.

Sounds like battery does not hold a charge from the description.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Thanks for the ideas. I think ill start with the new battery at lunch and see if that will get me by. If not ill have to bring it into the pro’s and .

big_g
    Isle, MN

I’d guess battery and the smell is from the starter, working inefficiently. Put the battery in and short trips only until you get back have fun in the sun

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

battery, volt meter

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

and the winner is…new battery. tested the alternator and he said that was good. 48 more hours and ill be sitting on the beach with a beer in my hand.

Thanks for the help!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

and the winner is…new battery. tested the alternator and he said that was good. 48 more hours and ill be sitting on the beach with a beer in my hand.

Thanks for the help!

Doesn’t surprise me.

I’ve got the same truck wiht the Olds badge on the front. My observation has been that the batteries just croak. Fine one day, bad the next, no warning.

Glad you got it figured out.

Grouse

pantherpop
    Kalispell, MT

Quote:

48 more hours and ill be sitting on the beach with a beer in my hand.

“I got my toes in the water, [censored] in the sand
    Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand
    Life is good today, life is good today”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.