Cold weather boating

• out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I could not help but notice the chill in the air this morning when I went to work. I plan on chasing walleyes into the fall as long as possible.

What do you guys do to your boats and motors when temps drop and things could start to freeze up? Any extra steps when I get the boat back on the trailer to ensure it will run the next time I make it out?

Thanks

Aaron

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

If temps are below freezing I’ll fire my motor for 15-20 seconds to let all the water run out.

thegun
    mn

Quote:

If temps are below freezing I’ll fire my motor for 15-20 seconds to let all the water run out.

X2

make sure after you are on the trailer to lower the motor all the way down while you are strapping and getting everything else ready for the road. then fire her up as stated and then ready motor for road..

Im a winter river rat following this practice for the past 12+ years with a 150 vmax never any problems…

buckeye

Isn’t that hard on the water pump impeller??

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Isn’t that hard on the water pump impeller??

Not right out of the water. Everything in there is still wet. For the record I go with less then 5 seconds.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Same thing here but thinking 15 to 20 seconds seems like a long time. 5 seconds tops for me. My motor usually give a quick squirt of water out the pee hole and then is done.

kroger3
    blaine mn

plug your livewell fillers and darins where they go through the hull on the outside. let water into the lines and pumps and they will crack at some point.

jerry b
    western WI

I usually let the motor hang while I tie down and then put it in a heated building. I’ll then blow everything out with an airhose. I made an adapter for my air nozzle that fits the livewell drains. Seems to work well, so far no problems jerr

Palerider77

I give mine a chance to blow the water out (5 seconds) I also store in a heated garage. Not necessary but nice. If it is much colder than 10 degrees I generally stay home.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

As said, I just lower the motor, and may turn it over for a second, but no longer than that. Also plug the live well intake and drains. Make darn sure the batteries are full when I start off. Also keep a set of heavy sweats along with the rain gear and such in case something happens and someone gets wet… there is a quick change available to dry and warm clothing.

My first time fishing out of pool 4 in the cold temps I dropped the boat in, started, and then freaked out when it wouldn’t pee any water. After several minutes still nothing, and I was five hours from home… getting ready to explode thinking the trip was lost. Never dawned on me the Yamaha had a thermostat. As soon as it warmed up enough, it started to flow. I almost pulled the boat out of the water to give up, but a local that fished in those conditions told me to be patient… and about the thermostat. Sure enough, whenever I am out and it is very cold, same thing happens. Now I have told others at the landings the same thing as they go through the same experience.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good point about the motor not peeing right away. This can even happen when it has been drained ahead of time. Sometimes I think the motor temp is colder than freezing and when the water hits the metal it freezes up. Like you said give it some time and it will thaw out. I just take it easy until then.

shockers
    Rochester

That’s a good point about the motor not peeing right away if it’s cold. Happened to me last fall and like you I freaked out…until it finally warmed enough to start peeing. Whew.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

How do you guys plug your livewell intakes and drains?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Another thing to do is to let your trailer drain of water before pulling completely up the ramp.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

I pull the screens off the intakes and replace with a plastic cap. Garden hose caps fit the thread. The overflows out side of boat get a 1.5″ expandable plumbing drain plug. Fleet Farm has them both.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Quote:

Another thing to do is to let your trailer drain of water before pulling completely up the ramp.

Many forget to do this and lets just say it can get interesting! Watched a few trucks end up in a lot further than planned while sliding down the ramp.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Along those same lines… if the temp has any chance of getting to that freezing point I have a five gallon bucket with salt, and sand mixed in the back of the truck… and donate some as needed.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

How do you guys plug your livewell intakes and drains?

Not necessary on all the boats I have had (lund, crestliner and Skeeter). I focus on the trailer draining and the outboard draining. The lines usually drain at the ramp while you are draining the trailer. I would say 10* was my lower temp limit as well.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.