OUCH!!! that’s gotta hurt…..

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

So, I was out fishin this afternoon in the hurricane force winds and I was witness to one of the more bizarre things I’ve ever seen before while out fishing.

As I stood on shore fishin away, I was watching a couple in a pleasure style boat casting cranks to a rocky point. right away I noticed the woman’s most, shall we say, “unique” casting style ……I immediately said to myself, “Self, that woman better be careful or she’s gonna get a head full of hooks”…….Well, I guess I should have said it out loud because a couple minutes later I hear a hideous scream come from the boat, and I look over to see the woman sobbing hysterically, with a big shinny plug dug into the back of her head ……..I guess the combination of 30mph winds, uncoordinated fisherwoman, and a ridiculously whippy ugly stick leads to bad things, huh .

Well, off they went, I’m assuming to the emergency room, as the man made no attempt to remove the buried hooks….don’t think i would have either the way that lady was bouncing off the walls .

But anywho, from what I could see, it did look a bit painfull…..but I think I could think of a few places that would be more painfull to get stuck

So, here’s the question for yall……. Where’s the most painfull/interesting place you’ve gotten hooks lodged???……please, be as graphic as possible……pictures are incouraged

carptracker
    Missouri

When I was a kid I was throwing out trot lines along an undercut bank on a tributary of the Tennessee (or maybe was the TN proper – been a long time ago now). Anyhoo, we were tying off one end on the bank and the other end has a large sash weight on it. You just bait all the dropper lines and then heave the sash weight off the bank as hard as you can. And some of these were some hummer hooks, too, with chunks of shad on them. Well, I was standing on the edge there, gave the sash weight a good swing, and one of those big catfish hooks caught me in the calf. For a split second I thought it was going to jerk me off the bank. I was right. Down to the bottom in current with my leg hooked to a sash weight. My pocket knife is of course up on the bucket of shad. The current pulled me flat to the bottom on my back, and I can’t see anything, but I could flail around and reach the cord, so I grab it and chew like a beaver. Bad move. I chewed through the wrong end of the cord and now I am flat on my back anchored to the bottom and I am passing out. Meanwhile my Uncle Bob sees this and comes running over, thinking he’s going to pull me in like a giant catfish, but when he gets there the line goes slack and there is nothing on the end but some baited hooks and a chewed-up end. So he runs up the bank aways, pulls out his knife and jumps in. Somehow, by a miracle, he is swimming blind along the bottom and finds me and cuts me out. He drags me to the top. I felt him grab me when he came, and I didn’t know it was him. I remember thinking that if it was an animal that was going to bite me it wouldn’t matter much, because I was a gonner anyway. Thats all I remember until I come to on a muddy bank with Bob blubbering like I was dead for sure. Very, very, nearly was. When we got home, I’ve still got this giant hook in my leg. Mom asks Pap (my grandpa) if he knows how to get hooks out. He says sure. Grabs a big pair of channel locks and just jerks it out. Like to took my leg with it. Had a big piece of meat on the barb and it wasn’t fish meat. I’m about to pass out again, but Pap says “aw, put some coal oil on it and you’ll be fine.” Still got a hole in my leg. After all these years you can’t see it unless you look real close, but if you pass your finger over it you can feel the void.

carptracker
    Missouri

This one is my brother. We were up in MN about 2 years ago camping out. Not a real good thing for my bro, who is not much of an outdoorsman anyway and is VERY sensitive to mosquitos. The mosquitos were not too bad out on the lake, but they were mobbing the shoreline at the ramp. As I was pulling up, he manages to get one hook of a big three-treble rapala in his shoelaces and can’t get it unstuck. Rather than risk the mosquitos while working on the lure, he cuts it off the rod and decides to run back to the tent with the thing dangling. You guessed it. He got the other trebles in his other leg at full stride and it tied him up good. Face plant in the road with one foot hooked to the other leg below the knee. And the Mosquitos having supper, of course. I took pity on him and clipped the hooks off the lure and he pulled them out himself inside the tent.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have got a very good one for you guys. I was fishing on the sippi one day and i had got about a 11 pound northern. I had gotten in and the thing nailed a # 7 shad rap. As i proceeded to take it off i got a bite on a set line i had a 3 way rigged with a rapala. i put the fish down and proceeded to real in this other fish. Got it into the boat and it was a decent 5 pound walleye. As i was taking out the hook in the walleye the northern got a second wind and started to shake so crazy that 2 of the hooks off the rapala stuck into my hand as i tried to stop the northern from going crazy. This wasnt just any hook in the hand. i had 2 out of the 3 hooks in each treble hook inbedded into the mead of my hand with the fish kicking and pullin the hooks deeper into my hand. My buddy grabbed the fish yanked the hook out of his mouth and as that happend the walleye in my other hand slipped and the hook on the rapala dug into the same hand as the other 2 were in. So 500 dollars later and 5 hours in the hospital they finnaly figured out how to get the hooks out.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

one day when i was still in my teens. I was casting off a dock and my little brother came running on the dock and I snagged him in the eye brow, i didn’t notice anything until i went to zing that popper out a mile, and it was a good thing that i had the drag set really really light. It didn’t pull out, but it made a mess out of the line. I don’t think that my little brother even remembers that one.

shane

customrodfan
    Twin Cities

I was fishing with buddy out of a canoe up in the BWCA. We were on our way out, so we had all of our gear wrapped in a tarp in the middle of the boat. Being in no hurry, I was paddling along the shoreline trolling a rap, and my buddy was casting the dreaded “Red Eye Wiggler”. He hooks into a 6-7′ northern, of course we have no net. After a pretty decent fight, it laid over on it’s side back by me in the stern. I had it half way in the boat when it gets its 2nd wind. The lure was a spoon with hooks front and back. Some how the pike had gotten the front hooks only. Of course the back hooks bury into the nice fleshy part between my thumb and finger. I drop the fish and he flips towar the middle of the canoe, still hooked to the lure and me. My buddy, turns around to try and help, and gets ahold of the fish. One last flop, off she comes…leaving the front hooks in my friends thumb. So there we are, drifting along…both hooked to the same lure, stretched over the canoe. Luckly, the barbs had been pinched down so the hooks came out relatively easy.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

I was on a charter on Lake Superior with some friends. When it was time to go in the downriggers came up and a spoon with a big stainless steel siwash hook was bouncing in and out of the wake at the back of the boat. One of my friends reached out to grab the line just as the spoon came shooting out of the wake. The siwash buried itself way past the barb directly into his knuckle. . . man that had to hurt! We clipped off the hook and took him to the ER in Duluth – major digging to get that thing out.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Won’t name any names, (Big B) , But I distinctly recall an incident about two years ago, on Lake Pepin, when a certain individual whom we won’t name, (Big B) , got a little overagressive with a new caster and planted a 1/2 ounce Rat-L-Trap in the back of my head. Hit me so hard it almost knocked me out of the boat. Ended up just ripping my hat off and digging some new grooves in my scalp, but it’s been two years and to date he hasn’t apologized I really try not to be bitter……………

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Mepps Musky killer. Back of the head. Buddy of mine. ‘Nuff said

newt
    Pillager, MN

I buried a 3/0 worm hook in my shin last summerI was able to only pull it part of the way out. I had my buddy loop some line around the bend of the hook and as I pushed down on the hook eye he gave a quick jerk on the line and out she popped. I always wondered if this technique worked. Only missed about 5 minutes of fishing time too.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

A few years ago on the Croix my wife and I were trolling. She was driving the boat and I was tending the rods.
    “Fish ON” I reeled in a walleye and since it was not very big I swung it into the boat, er should I say I swung it into my wifes leg. I was using a wally diver. One treble in the fish and the other in my wifes leg. Oh the horror as the fish flopped against her leg. What happened next was a miracle. The hook holding the fish broke free of the lure leaving a wally diver dangling from wifes leg. I immediately did the first thing that came to mind. I measured the fish and it was legal! Put it in the livewell then went back to the victim. She was very unhappy as one of the trebles was buried straight in her shin. I gave her two options. Either we head in and ruin an otherwise perfect evening or I yank it out with the pliers. She opted for the pliers!! I was a little shaky but I grabbed hold and yanked it out. No more pain and very little blood. The next beer went down very fast for both of us and we continued fishing. That lure is on display in my basement. I’m still a little unhappy the lure broke like that but what perfect timing!! I am under strict obligation to let her do the same to me under similar circumstances so I am very careful when fishing with her.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Suzuki, your wife has a great attitude!

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

A couple years back on Lake of the Woods I had a northern start flopping around and the hook came out of its mouth and right into my thumb nail. The hook was buried between the nail and the skin and did not exactly feel comfortable. My dad had to push the hook out the side of the nail because when you’ve got over an hour boat ride back to the dock, going to the hospital is out of the question.
    Fortunately we got the hook out without too much trouble and my (ashamed to admit this) “mentor” BFD had some tylenol which I enjoyed greatly.
    Is my thumb supposed to start throbbing just thinking about it???

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Every time I see someone wiggling a rod tip back and forth in a tackle shop I think of this one. WELL… I picked out my first “good” rod that way A pretty gold Garcia Conolon 7 foot buggy whip. Uncle Louie took me out that evening to fish topwater for Bass. I put on a big old Zara Spook and reared back to show Louie how far I could cast with my new rod You guess it! The rod bent so severely as I came forward it blasted me in the back of the head! Man! did I see stars! The hooks somehow didn’t get me but I had quite an egg raise up there.

I don’t think Louie EVER stopped laughing

Wadsworth

It’s hard for me to pick out one incident, but it’s generally a common occurence for me and my partners to utilize the line loop technique, one of the best things my Dad ever taught me about fishing.

jimmykroe
    Bay City, WI

I was about seven years old fishing on the bank of the Mouse river near my home. Lots of Northerns in that river and are favorite lure was the good old Red and White DareDevil with a hunk of bacon rind on it. Well my brother shot his out with a hunk of my ear rather than the bacon……….I don’t think it worked as well.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Welcome to the board jimmykroe! And you’ve posted on the right thread for your first post….DON’T TAKE AN EMPTY SEAT IN THE BOAT WITH ANYONE THAT POSTED HERE! Joke!

Suzuki, you are so right! Why ruin a good fishing trip? After all, you didn’t feel any pain

My encounter with a hook was pretty un eventful…until I went to the Dr’s office in Hastings.

A buddy and I were fishing smallies on the wing dams. As I reached down to lip my latest catch…I could see he was about to jump and pulled my hand clear of the rap hanging out of his mouth. Yup…the 70’s slowed down my reflexes and the hook went in my finger as the smallie was brought into the boat. One hook in the fish..one in my finger. Didn’t hurt too bad I thought. After returning the little guy into the water, I cut the hook from the rap and the other two hooks off the treble. Fished the rest of the day. I was surpised as to how far skin stretches!

When I got home, I took my 6 year old daughter and went to the Hastings clinic…”Hastings on the River” the water tower says.

In the ER the nice young lady Dr. looked at it and got out the novacaine. When she came back after letting the pain killer take effect, she wanted to cut off the hook at the shank and then just push it through…So she’s digging in one of the drawers and comes out with a large toe nail clipper.

I told her that my wife takes care of my toe nail needs and that I really just came in to have the hook taken out.. She looked a little annoyed and tried to clip it…wasn’t going to happen. I guess these hooks are just a little stronger than the average toe nail.

She started going through the drawers again…then called for assistance.

I told her I lived just a few blocks away and could just run home and get a wire cutter. She wouldn’t let me go. Now there were 5 in the er plus my daughter…who by the way thought it was really keen having never been in an ER before.

At this point I was in there for an hour and a half and my novacaine was starting to wear off. I asked if they had any maintiance men working, because they should have a pair of side cutters. The Dr. by this time wasn’t talking to me…I thought it was VERY funny that a clinic that’s located in “Hastings on the River” didn’t have the equipment to cut a hook! …Of course I made many comments to this effect.

10 minutes later this grimey fellow (he had been working) in a dark blue matenance out fit comes in with a pair of greasy dikes and hands it to the Dr. I was rolling on the table!

I’m sure they were happy to see me leave.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Mepps Musky killer. Back of the head. Buddy of mine. ‘Nuff said

“Still” buddy or “Ex” buddy?

2Fishy4U

Several years ago my daughter (about 9)and I were on a small river in a canoe, casting for Bass and Northern. She was sitting in front and as she dropped her pole back over her shoulder to cast the hooks caught between my nose and glasses. Fortunately, aside from a pair of lost glasses there was no harm done, but if those hooks would have caught my nose I would still be screaming in pain.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

geeeee StillaPUP… you think Ive abused YOU as a partner… one of my fishing buddies… well… ya see its like this….
    we wuz up on Lake of the Woods on my FIRST musky trip… I had borrowed a couple of rods from another friend and on one of them the reel was a bit tricky.. it was a bait caster (of course!) and it had a nasty tendency to snap shut after about 2 feet of line flew off on a cast….
    well… normally with an overhead cast this wasnt that much of a problem… though the force of it doing this was enough that I lost a couple of musky plugs because it managed to snap 80# dacron when it snapped shut on a particularly energetic cast…
    ok… so why I decided to swing that rod more like a baseball bat than a fishing rod Ill never know… must have been an incoming loon or something… anyhoo guess what? On a very powerful side arm cast the bail snapped shut!!! the sideways momentum… carried the lure (heck just a measily 10″ bucktail.. not like it was a 12″ suick or anything!).. right deadcenter to the nose of my “buddy” (am I good or what?).. I dont know what ruffled his feathers up cuz it didnt even stick in his nose.. it bounced off there and stuck lighty into his cheek… oh sure.. the hook went all the way through to the inside of his mouth… but so what? were talking what… a quarter of an inch or so? still you had to admire his composure as I pulled it out with needle nose (I mean seriously we were who KNOWs how may hundred miles from a Dr or hospital?)… he didnt even issue any 4 letter words or nutting… get mad? heck no….
    but I still remember the next time I needed to borrow an item of tackle from him (on that same trip!).. would you believe it cost me $20?? Im mean.. sure.. were in the middle of lake of the woods.. and yah.. I know.. he aint no tackle store… but geeeee we were buds!! come on!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.