Is Bigger Better?

• john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Boats, we talking boats! I have a 16′ fish n ski boat which handles easily in most circumstances, but does not have enough room. Have been really thinking of buying a much bigger boat. I have recently fished with a friend from a 21’Lund, and am now thinking maybe smaller is better. Much tougher to control the big boat with bow mount, tough to manuever in small areas, but great ride and worked very well trolling with kicker. My question is, what, in your opinion, is the ultimate size and set up for walleyes? If you could pick one boat for family and fishing on the river, what would it be?
    Rooster

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I personally like fishing from an 18-19 foot boat. You can get by with a 24v trolling motor vs. 36v. As you know, boat control is must when it comes to fishing, so a kicker is definite plus when you get into the bigger motors that won’t troll down. The new boats have much better storage which is always nice. Both lund and crestliner make some nice fish/ski models – Fisherman and Sportfish. In my very humble opinion, the fisherman series is a rough wet riding boat on big water though.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I like 17-18. I can still get into small areas.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I think everything is a compromise. I like fishing out of a 14 footer with my 6 horse. But if you want to go to a differant area..you can almost walk faster.

Right now I have a 17 (2″) sometimes it’s too big and other times it’s too small. But I catch fish…once in a while…so I’m happy.

If it’s goning to be just one boat..I would vote for the 17 to 18 footer. My wife on the other hand would vote for the 19 to 21 footer and if I would let her…vote for a 34 footer…I live on the Croix you know

PS…she would say Bigger is Better!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

So many of the boat manufacturers have gone to dedicating the added available space in their larger boats to front deck space. To the point that many boats in the 19′ – 20′ range are quite literally 2 – 3 person boats. Consoles keep sliding to the rear and that deck area keeps looking more and more like a dance floor for the driver. In my experiences, both Lund & Cliner do this with their top end boats, there’s not much EXTRA “fishing area” available in a 20 footer vs. an 18 footer outside of the increase in room available up front. The bigger boat will ride a little better in big water and you can throw on some extra ponies that will increase your top speed a couple miles an hour but for me, I’ll keep sticking with the 18’ers and save the cost difference for crankbaits.

In the c-liners, look at the 1850 fishhawks. They’re laid out very well and cost less than a 19′ tournament series. For a boat that is intended to be used on the river for the most part and still have room for the family, in my opinion, this is the best boat C-liner has to offer and it is quite affordable for it’s size class.

I’m sure others will be able to recommend similar boats in the Lund & Alumacraft lines that will suit your needs. I didn’t make many boats shows this past season and its hard to keep up ith all the changes manufacturers are making from one year to the next.

Those consoles keep sliding to the rear the way they have been, I’m going back to a big tiller boat!

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Last season I went from a small 16′ aluminum boat to a 175 Alumacraft Tourney-Pro tiller. I chose the tiller model for 3 reasons. 1. To keep the cost down some 2. I can troll with the 80 Yamaha 4-stroke but enough top end for big water. 3. With out the console I have more deck space for my family of four.

I find that the 18′ length is a happy medium between big and small. It handles well in confined areas like Pool 4 or the Rainy River but large enough for big water conditions like Pepin or Mille Lacs.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Several of the larger boats are intended to be for tournament anglers or the dedicated fisherman and not the pleasure fisherman. They aren’t laid out for multiple anglers.

Some are intended for big waters and some aren’t.

You ultimetly need to get the one that fits your personality, the way you fish and where you fish. I need a big boat because I fish everyday, fish agressively, make 20 mile runs, fish big dangerous water and need room for 4 people. My Warrior V193 is 19 feet has a Yahmmie 225 4 stroke. It is safe, roomy, dry and tough. I know I’ll get there and that I’ll get back. You size all of the components appropriatly and don’t skim for quality.

If all you need is a 16 footer with a single 12 volt system a 160 pixel graph, one rod, a 25 HP Johnson that is what you should get.

Too many people also get too much boat and motor and cannot run/fish them properly. You just don’t go from a 14 foot 9.9 to a 19 footer with 225 on overnight. Give it a week or two

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

I went with a Lund 1675 (almost 17′) a couple years back, and went with the tiller for the exact same reasons – it saved me a $1,000, it fishes better than a console, and the space is wonderful. Even with a 24v trolling system (2 batteries) I have ton’s of storage room as well.

I also liked its versatility in that it can handle some waves in bigger water, yet I can also sneak through areas less than 2 feet deep. Only drawback with the tiller is that she gets difficult to handle with the trim way up.

Don Hanson

A tiller model around the 16.5ft range is as close to ideal as I had. Small enough for puddles and small rivers yet with common sense big enough to handle the bigger inland lakes. For max room a tiller is the way to go.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

This is the best boat on the river. 16 footer. Modified V for waves. I need 12 inches of water. My 65 pound thrust bow mount can pull me up river in heavy current. I can anchor anywhere I choose including 40 to 50 foot holes. I can launch it by myself in about 5 minutes. I can tow it where ever without taking out a bank loan. It is a two person boat or 3 if you want to jig. Anything larger sucks gas and annoys the other people around you. To each their own. I was a tournament angler I would go with a 19 footer as some of the above posts have mentioned. You can get into this boat with everything for under 10 grand.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I’m also thinking about getting a bigger boat. I currently have a 16’9″ Alumacraft Lunker with a 40 hp Honda. It suits my needs pretty well when fishing alone or with just one other person. But I now have a 2 yrs old. I know he’s still years away from fishing but I’d like to be able to take him and my wife out and do some fishing and let him run around in the boat while I try to fish. My wife likes to fish and we use to fish together quite a bit before the baby was born.

I was looking at the Crestliner Fish Hawk 1750 or 1850. Here’s my questions.

1. Can I fit either of these boats in a garage that’s 21’6″ long?
    2. I want to be able to tow it with my minivan that’s rated for 3500 lbs. Should I be okay? I’m assuming the trialer will need brake and a swing tongue to fit in the garage.
    3. How do you operate a kicker with these boats? I’d like to get the Yamaha T8. Where do you sit? Can you reach the kicker tiller handle?
    4. Do you think dual consoles are nice or do they get in the way of fishing?
    5. I’d prefer to buy a used rig to save some money. I’m not in a hurry to get a different boat. Do you think August is a good time to buy? In other words, do the prices drop much in late summer?
    6. Where a good place to find a used rig? Any good web site besides this one that lists used rigs?
    7. I’ve heard you can get better deals in Canada because of the strength of the US dollar vs. the Canadian dollar. Any truth to this? Is it legal to buy in Canada and bring it back across the border?
    8. How easy is it to load or unload these boats at the ramp? My Lunker is real easy. Will I struggle with something as big as a 1850?

Thanks for all your help.

Boone

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Boone,

I can answer a few of your questions. I have a 2003 1850 Fish Hawk Dual Console with a 140 and 9.9 Suzuki 4 strokes.

1. Garage – I have a Karavan trailer with surge brakes and swing tongue. If you have 21′ 6″ inside dimensions, you should fit. I have to angle mine a little and it fits.

2. Towing – I have a F150 5.4 liter to pull my boat. I would think the van would struggle pulling a fully loaded boat.

3. Kicker – I have a connecting rod (or steering bar) between my main motor and kicker. When trolling, I sit at the console and steer with the main motor.

4. Dual Console – I like the dual console, it protects your fishing partner or wife from the elements when cruising. Personally, losing the space from the second console was not an issue for me.

5. Buying used – I think you would find some better deals later in the summer. Depending on what your budget is, don’t rule out buying new, you can find some good deals later in the season.

6. Web sites for used boats – walleyecentral.com, fishminnesota.com, iboats.com

7. No experience with the cunuck thing.

8. Loading-Unloading – I think it’s very easy to load and unload. I back the trailer in until the back roller is partially submerged, then drive the boat on, it loads straight every time. I had more problems with my 16 1/2 foot Crestliner, but I backed the trailer too far in the water.

Just to wrap up this long winded post. Everyone has their own preferences in boating needs. For me, I have my dream boat, it’s excellent to fish from, and great for recreational use. I see you live in Cottage Grove, I live in Woodbury, if your interested in seeing my 1850, send me pm.

Sandbar

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Boone,

For what it’s worth, I have a good friend with 2 young boys just getting to the age where they can go fishing with Dad. He just went back to a tiller from a console boat. Reason? Everything is always in front of you including the kids! Just something to keep in mind.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.