Sun Protection

• adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

With all the sun we have had the last week it has been apparent how important sunscreen is in a fishermens boat. but also sunglasses to protect our eyes and uv neck guards are starting to become more popular.\

Does anyone know where one could buy some of the uv ray neck/face guards that the pro’s wear? Also some have gloves. Anyone have any input?

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Check out Columbia’s Gear. they make great hats, gloves, shirts, pants, shorts and shoes that are very light, breathable and UV protectate. (i sounds like a commercial)

I have a long sleeve ‘Blood and Guts’ shirt and short that can be zipped to be pants. I also wear a hat covers my head and neck.

Good post, I am surpised on the amount of people that are out on the water for long stretches that don’t wear proper gear.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Search UV buffs….gonna give one a try tomorrow….

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

bought sun gloves from cabelas and work great. Back of my hands always get really sunburned no matter how much sun screen put on. Gloves solved it.

starvin pilgrim

I’m lucky, I’m 100% Scandinavian, So, I don’t have to worry about it. I usually still have a tan in Feb.

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

bimini works great

c_w
    central MN

I work outside so my tan is well established year round, but the little guy uses Flying Fisherman Sun Bandits (and glasses) all the time. Down south these types of masks are very popular, but up here not so much. Should see some of the looks you get from the pleasure boaters.

CW

run&gun
    MN

First you catch them then you rob them. Wouldn’t it be really hot? You could try a Saudi dress.

red89
    Hudson

Tacklewarehouse.com Same place I get all my bass fishing stuff from. They have Dr.shade gloves and also Simms sun gloves. I have the simms sungloves, which have an open palm so they may be a little cooler than the dr.shade.

The Bass pro’s all started wearing “the buff” last year, I have one of them and it works good, but if you try to put it over your mouth it fogs up your glasses immediately. I would suggest trying out the Simms sun gaiter(also available at Tacklewarehouse)which appears to have small holes for breathing.

check out the buff at: http://www.buffusa.com/collections/11

They have some videos that show all the option that are kind of funny as well…. “wear it as a tube top”

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Take a look at my RED back from yesterday, I need something a T shirt gets to hot in the sun. Now I have to sleep on my side all night.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

[censored] Sporting Goods hasthe neck & face masks too.
    I get lots of strange looks when wearing mine in blue Camo

For hands I just by cheap cloth gloves and cut finger tips off, works well andlast longer, the sun fabric does not stand up to fish slime and repeated washings

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Under Armour Heat Gear clothing works pretty well. I have a couple long sleeve shirts I wear when it is hot and sunny. I find some of the Columbia stuff isn’t so great. Their omni-freeze products should just be called omni-sweat as much as wearing anything else. I have a pair of Glacir glove Dr. Shade gloves. They work well and you don’t sweat too badly in them. I also have a couple Chilly Pads which help cool you down.

Yes, I am anti-sun and anti-sweat.

mfreeman451

Just get one of the sweat-wicking sport shirts from underarmor, nike, or whomever..

Quote:

Take a look at my RED back from yesterday, I need something a T shirt gets to hot in the sun. Now I have to sleep on my side all night.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I wear UV safe pants,shirts, and wide brim hat. Back of hands,neck, face get Bullfrog sunscreen because that is what my Dermotolgist says to use. Had melonoma removed from my arm 3 years ago. Wife says she loves my face just the way it is— ugly and not full of scars.

kroc0005

I’m with my bro DanK – Columbia’s gear is widely available and works great. I also wear the fingerless sungloves too. I’m fortunate to be married and if i wasnt at an age that the ladies of the lake wouldnt look my way anyways in our fishing boat and “fit” condition. Admittedly i look rediculous and quite covered in the sun on these 6-8 hr days on the water – cap w/neck flap, sunglasses, UV pants, long sleeve UV shirt, gloves.

Besides the rays being unsafe long term, i really just cant stand being sunburned, it’s an annoyance/inconvenience for a couple days. Sleeping and moving around can be painful!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.