More on MPLS Lake access

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I contacted the Park Board with a question about access. If I launched at 8:00 a.m and wanted to leave at 12pm. How would I do that.Here is there response:

Thank you for your inquiry into how people will get off of the lakes given the boat launch hours. Several people have asked this same question. We definitely took that into consideration when we were discussing ways to protect the lakes from AIS while still providing access to the lakes. The chain across the landings will not be locked. People will be able to exit the lakes at any time outside of the launch hours by taking the chain down to exit and putting it back up after they remove their boat.

Bullet21XD

Is it only locked for those entering the lake?

lhprop1
    Eagan

I see how that works. Tell the people they can leave, but not come in. That will totally stop AIS.

mfreeman451

It sounds like it is not even locked at all, it’s just a chain..

Quote:

Is it only locked for those entering the lake?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Sounds like the chains are pretty necessary and should be installed at all the ramps.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Here are the hours the access will be open Monday-Thursday 6 a.m.-10 a.m. and 5 p.m.-9 p.m. They are also available Friday-Sunday from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. The rest of the time, there will likely be signage that indicates no launching when Inspectors are not there. The chain will be to stop folks from launching at other times? (doesn’t make any sense)

Likely I will be part of a Park Board review process with other anglers this fall.

kroc0005

How will we ever figure out these chains without AIS volunteers at the access to help us?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

No, its one of those locks that can only be locked from one side.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Don’t underestimate the MPLS Park Police, they don’t have much to do, are well staffed and have plenty of equipment. You can bet they will be on this.

mfreeman451

How often do you go looking for AIS in Minnehaha?

Quote:

Come on guys, the Park Board obviously knows what they’re doing. Chains will definitely stop the zeebs that are already in Minnehaha Creek from getting in. (I realize the creek is only directly connected to Nokomis)

And for the record, I’ve never seen a single Zebra Muscle in Minnehaha Creek. I’m not saying they’re not there, I’m just saying I haven’t seen one over the last 5 years.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The magical unlocked chain of death (to AIS). Neat.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

Come on guys, the Park Board obviously knows what they’re doing. Chains will definitely stop the zeebs that are already in Minnehaha Creek from getting in. (I realize the creek is only directly connected to Nokomis)

And for the record, I’ve never seen a single Zebra Muscle in Minnehaha Creek. I’m not saying they’re not there, I’m just saying I haven’t seen one over the last 5 years.

Just wait and watch, you know like Asian Carp don’t jump in Asia where they’re native the Zebra Mussel “Veligers” unlike in the Black and Caspian Sea’s, they’ll probably learn to “Evolve” and Swim upstream here infesting Calhoun, Lake of the Isles, Cedar & Brownie Lakes along with Harriet.

Sarcasm

kroger3
    blaine mn

What about after september 30th?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

So what if you’re at an access at 11:45 AM with your boat on the trailer and the chain in your hand and the Park Police show up.

How do you prove you were leaving and not launching?

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

it is assumed, but not scientifically solid that veligers won’t prosper in cooler water. But lets face I’ve seen water temps in the high 70’s during that time of year. This is why bait buckets don’t need to be drained when ice fishing.

shefland
    Walker

oh how I remember the days! I grew up by lake harriet, their was a time you could run your OB no matter what horsepower but you had to stay below 5 mph I believe? You did need a special permit. I would go out at night on harriet and nokomis and run my 60- hp yamaha at nearly WOT. Never got caught luckily, then it was electric trolling motors only, well I ran out of juice and fired up the 15 hp and trolled back in, never got caught, oh we also ran our vehicles out on the ice in the winter! never got caught, those were the days. I still remember a night trolling shadraps by the cedar ave bridge on nokomis, what walleyes we caught! Well just reminising, I am a old geezer now. The horse left the barn on AIS long ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.