400 Fish over limit

• big_g
    Isle, MN

lose his license for 3 years ? How about 4 ever ???

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

throw him in a hot crisco bath

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Maybe the poor guy is just bad at counting???

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

And only “up to a year” in jail? What the heck? He obviously knew he was committing a crime because he tried to hide the fish.

It should be 5 years mandatory, non-negotiable, no plea-bargain.

I’m glad they got his boat, at least that’s something, although it’s a drop in the bucket copared to the cost of prosecuting him.

Grouse

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I’ll never understand why these people don’t have to pay major fines for each fish over the limit. These agencies complain because they don’t have enough money to operate, then somebody with over 400 fish over their limit gets a $2K fine.

Make it $200 per fish over. We live in an era where the only thing that will stop people from breaking laws is to severely increase the punishment for doing so. I bet you people would think twice about keeping extra fish after reading about the guy who got fined over $80K for it.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Whenever I see some ridiculous number like this, I really wonder if they plan to utilize the fish at some point, or if it is just a mental sickness that drives them to keep everything they catch.

When you have 300 fish in your chest freezer, and you are still fishing for more keepers, you got problems that taking your license away for a couple years won’t cure..

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

I’ll never understand why these people don’t have to pay major fines for each fish over the limit. These agencies complain because they don’t have enough money to operate, then somebody with over 400 fish over their limit gets a $2K fine.

Make it $200 per fish over. We live in an era where the only thing that will stop people from breaking laws is to severely increase the punishment for doing so. I bet you people would think twice about keeping extra fish after reading about the guy who got fined over $80K for it.

Totally agree.

I’ll be interested to see if he get the full meal deal and has to pay the whole $3000 fine + restitution of $2000 + forfeits his boat (probably worth next to nothing, but who knows). Or does he cop a plea and pays $2000, no jail, and then gets his boat back?

Gross violations like this should be a mandatory base fine, mandatory non-negotiable jail time, mandatory forfeiture of all assets involved in commission of the crime (boat, vehicle, etc). The only variable should be a mandatory additional fine for each animal over the limit.

Grouse

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I don’t agree with the longer jail time… as I for one don’t want to pay his room and board. We need to stop jailing people at our own expense.

Forced community service time (and a lot of it) is a much better option for so many crimes, like this as an example. Projects to clean up trash at parks or lakes, or anything that normally isn’t getting done, but would benefit the community. We win, they pay with huge time away from everything they enjoy. Make them wear a bright orange suit with “criminal” printed on it the entire time.

josh a

In a state where fishing makes up such a big part of the economy its surprising that our laws are so lenient regarding poaching.

josh a

Quote:

Forced community service time (and a lot of it) is a much better option for so many crimes, like this as an example.

I could get on board with that. Give someone a 3 year sentence where they can go to work and sleep at home, than spend every other minute of there time doing nothing but cleaning the state. Also, how can this not be a lifetime fishing ban

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

The thing I wonder about is that this happened so long ago…why is this news today?

chirp
    Rochester

big G Cycle Guy, I’m sure wearing a orange suit with criminal on it would violate his rights some how.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

The thing I wonder about is that this happened so long ago…why is this news today?

Maybe because he is making a court appearance tomorrow?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sickening. I hope they throw the book at him. Just think how many poachers dont get caught.

thegun
    mn

Quote:

I don’t agree with the longer jail time… as I for one don’t want to pay his room and board. We need to stop jailing people at our own expense.

Forced community service time (and a lot of it) is a much better option for so many crimes, like this as an example. Projects to clean up trash at parks or lakes, or anything that normally isn’t getting done, but would benefit the community. We win, they pay with huge time away from everything they enjoy. Make them wear a bright orange suit with “criminal” printed on it the entire time.

I agree but i think the guy should do jail time and get a mandatory work release during the day to get on a bus and go do some sort of community work that he would earn money to go towards his stay. and then as another stated he must have some sickness and may need to go to some sort of mental hospital after his jail time is up using any extra money earned to go towards this. and again doing community service to pay the rest.

1 year in jail sounds good and 3 more in the mental hospital…

after all of this if he becomes a repeat offender cut off his fingers with a hatchet

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

“I told Mr. Tran that I would be seizing all the fish,” Reller said. “I also advised him that I was seizing his boat, motors, trailer, and fishing license as part of a gross misdemeanor over limit of fish.”

He isn’t coming out of this smelling lika a rose quite yet. Hope he loses his fishing “privelages” for a long time

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

P.S. how long until the guy gets caught fishing without a license?

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I too like the orange jump suit idea. But I’d put “poacher” on the back in big letters and set him up at Evert’s resort to offer free fish cleaning for anyone launching there. After all, if a guy has 400+ panfish in his freezer, he must be pretty darn good with a knife right??

mfreeman451

they weren’t filleted yet..probably was going to turn them all into fish balls.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

I too like the orange jump suit idea. But I’d put “poacher” on the back in big letters and set him up at Evert’s resort to offer free fish cleaning for anyone launching there. After all, if a guy has 400+ panfish in his freezer, he must be pretty darn good with a knife right??

Yea. I like the idea but he’d proabably get his [censored] kicked more often than asked for help.

wkw

Send him back to S.E. Asia. Done deal !
    WKW

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

Profiling at it’s finest !!!!!!!!!!!!! Do it again.

kidfish

I don’t want to get on the profiling thing here, but why does it always seem to be an Asian person involved in the huge overlimit stories. I remember about a story a few years ago about a couple of guys that were caught with hundreds of trout in their trunk in SE Minnesota.
    What really bothers me is that the Hmong community often states that fishing, hunting, and living off the land were a part of their culture in their former country. Why can’t they realize we have laws to protect our resources so we will always be able to hunt and fish?
    Throw the book at these people and make them realize it is against the law!!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think the last time I heard of a gross over limit of panfish like this it was a bunch of older white folks from Iowa or Illinois. Might as well throw them in the pot to.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Put him at various boat landings picking weeds off trailers so people are not spreading invasive plants. Also pick off any zebras.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Also a white reverend from Milwaukee area a couple if years ago in N WI. Poachers come in all nationalities unfortunately

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.