Mercury 4 stroke – Made by Yamaha?

• brian_j

Can anyone confirm or deny that a 2004 Mercury Saltwater 4 stroke EFI is made by Yamaha?

Thanks.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Don’t know, but it seems highly unlikely.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I seem to remember that Yamaha provided the power heads for Mercury 4 strokes up until a certain year. I think Mercury than provided the lower unit. I am not sure when this relationship ended, sorry.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Can anyone confirm or deny that a 2004 Mercury Saltwater 4 stroke EFI is made by Yamaha?

Thanks.

Here’s the best info I could find.

Quote:

2006 model Mercury four strokes from 2.5 through 30 HP are built by Tohatsu.

Before Yamaha entered the U.S. market, Mercury’s Mariner line was built by Yamaha.

Last year (2005), Mercury four stroke powerheads from 25 through 225 HP (except the Verados) were built by Yamaha. Several of those models used Mercury drive legs, electronics and EFI systems (replacing carbs Yamaha used in similar sized engines).

In 2006 models, Mercury four stroke powerheads from 40 to 225 HP (except the Verados) are built by Yamaha.

Mercury’s agreement with Yamaha ended in March 2006, at which time Mercury is expected to phase in more four cylinders (75 to 115 HP) based on the Verado engine block, but without supercharging or intercooling.

brian_j

Thanks for the info guys, I looked around online too and didn’t find anything concrete.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

This kind of speculation about who makes what for whom has been going on for a long time and about almost every maker. Merc/Yamaha/Tohatsu/Nissan, OMC brands/Suzuki, I remember in the early days of the interweb, a long BB thread about the smaller 2-stroke Mercs, were they all made by Tohatsu. Or were the Tohatsu motors really made by Mercury. . .

Needless to say, the manufacturers are very tight-lipped about this kind of thing, so a cut and dried yes/no answer is very hard to get.

Grouse

big_g
    Isle, MN

Mariner was a preceeder to Yamaha ??? They have come a long ways

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.