Good Old Tools

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I remember back in the day when it was fun to work on my motor vehicles. Luckily I had a father that would let me get in his hair and crawl around and help whenever he had a repair job or maintenance to do on his cars. It was a great time for learning and getting dirty. It wasn’t really that difficult to keep vehicles in great running order. Trouble shooting was a breeze. There was plenty room under the hood to change out parts and for the most part, a good set of standard tools got the job done. Dad even had fun helping me tweak a 69 GTO and then build up the 350 on my 78 Chevy short box 4X4. The 400 we dabbled in on my 76 Trans Am was a hoot too. Fun times back then, now, I feel good when I just change my own oil…lol
    With that I still have one tool I cherish most, my SwingSpout which I have had for at least 30years. It still works great and eliminates oil spills. This handy dandy comes from back in the day when our tools were American made and lasted forever. Who would have ever thought a good cheap oil can was going to outlast an expensive timing light which is worthless now!! I might have to send it to American Restoration for rehab
    Here’s too good American tools that last forever

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I hear you load and clear Bret

I have one very similar to that my dad used ,also have some glass oil jars with spouts and a few other OLD tools of his.

I agree ,they dont makes things to last anymore

Thanks for bringing back some memories

big_g
    Isle, MN

If an OIL can rusts out…were in trouble… I have a few out in the shop yet, but with the fancy flexible hose

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

If an OIL can rusts out…were in trouble…

True but, none of the seals leak, the spout still swivels effortlessly, and the release for the oil still works perfect, not a drip. With what seems to be today’s standards, there would be a flaw in the design, it would be plastic, and it would be a pile in 2-3 years, plus it would have been shipped here.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I remember my grandpa making holes in the ice with an auger that had a cup on the end of it cursing the whole time. Some tools were better than others. I still have some of his planes and saws and they still cut better than anything out there now.

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

Oh…talking REAL tools.

Here I thought it was going to be thread about old politicians…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.