Hastings to Stillwater

• fireline
    Rochester

Never been on the St. Croix before with a boat . Would I have any trouble going from Hastings to Stillwater ? Anything to look out for ? Thanks

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Its easy but there are 4 no wake zones to navigate. The one in Hudson being the longest. You know how to read nav bouys in the river right?

greg dawson
    hastings, mn

I live in hastings and have made the trip before. I want to say there is 4 no wake zones from here to stillwater located at prescott, kiniccinic narrows, afton and in hudson. They are labeled by white buoys. Not sure what all the rain might have washed into the river but with the low water, debri really hasnt been an issue. as far as water depth is concerned the st croix runs alot deeper than the mississippi but is not marked with channel markers. after presott you can run the middle of the river all the way to stillwater. after stillwater it gets a lil tricky. with gas prices the way they are its alot cheaper to just launch in hudson if you plan on fishing but if your looking for a peaceful scenic trip than you should enjoy it.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

You know how to read nav bouys in the river right?

Also in those river guides in case you forget In fact, I believe the last page has a sticker you can put in your boat.

desperado

If you need an education

If you not a boater-head

How to read the channel buoys

How to limit A-I-S spread

MN … DNR .. can’t leave boats unadorrrned

All in all it’s just a-nother stick-er on the boat

ya all in all it’s just a-nother stick-er on yer boat

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

That was beautiful.

brian_j

Quote:

Never been on the St. Croix before with a boat . Would I have any trouble going from Hastings to Stillwater ? Anything to look out for ? Thanks

I’ve made that run a few times when I’m out cruising with the family. It’s a full day activity for sure, 50 miles round trip.

What to look out for would be big boats (of course this is relative to how big your boat is). If you go on a weekend in the summer you’ll be dodging wakes the whole way. Also the weather, I’d plan it on a day when you know it’s going to be nice all day, the last thing you want is a 25 mile run home in the rain and dark.

I’d probably plan a run to Afton first and see how that goes.

glb
    Twin Cities

We have made the trip many times and find it to be a very scenic and enjoyable trip. Yes, you may wind up going through some gas, but we always felt it was worth it. We always felt that $30 to $50 in boat gas to go for a scenic cruise was a good way for the family to spend a day. You can stop and fish for a while here and there, or go into Hudson or Stillwater for a bite to eat. Some people beach by the Hudson boat ramp and walk up to DQ for ice cream. You can also tie up in the protected area behind the floating dock at the south end of Stillwater next to the paddlewheelers (for a fee) and walk over to the warehouse area for a burger. In addition to the info already provided by others just watch for the red and green bouys. There are not too many bouys, but they are there for a reason. Going north from Prescott keep the red ones on your right (Red, Right, Returning from the Sea). A relatively calm day during the week is usually not very busy, but you can do it on any weekend too. It is very interesting to watch the river transform from a large river that is 2000 feet to over a mile wide and 40 to 90 feet deep into a much smaller more secluded river that is too shallow to navigate in some places. As stated, you might want to wait for higher water to do much north of Stillwater. The locals know the river, but you can get in trouble real quick if you do not know where to go. Another thing to consider in higher water conditions is to go up the Kinnickinnic river. We have done this in our 19 foot I/O boat. Water levels should be up within a few feet of the high water “no wake” level so you can get over the sand bar at the mouth of the Kinnickinnic. Once past the sand bar just proceed slowly and cautiously and watch the depth. It is very quiet and secluded. We have been up the river about a mile. Go have fun and explore!!!

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

i must be the opposite then, because i HATE boating on the croix, it is too busy, and too many tuna boats!

for a run starting in hastings, i myself would prefer locking up into P2, and running around up there for the day. plenty of islands to beach up to swim/BBQ at, backwaters to explore, less boats, and more wildlife.

just my $.02

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Quote:

i must be the opposite then, because i HATE boating on the croix, it is too busy, and too many tuna boats!

for a run starting in hastings, i myself would prefer locking up into P2, and running around up there for the day. plenty of islands to beach up to swim/BBQ at, backwaters to explore, less boats, and more wildlife.

just my $.02

Hate the St. Croix? That’s a little harsh. It does get busier than heck out there some weekends. Makes for some good sight seeing in my opinion. Nothing against pool 2, but I would boat on the Croix over pool 2 every time.

desperado

Perch … the contrarian ?
    say it ain’t so

brian_j

Quote:

Perch … the contrarian ?
    say it ain’t so

huh?

Great info about P2 and the kinnie river, thanks guys. The croix is busy but I’ve been out there in the spring and fall when there are no boats around and thought – I kind of miss checking out all the other action.

One thing I really like doing with the kids is beaching at the kinnie narrows, the kids swim and play and the adults hang around drinking beer and watching boats go by.

I’m out there almost every weekend if anyone sees me and wants to say hi, dark blue Stratos full windshield with a black Suzuki 140.

desperado

Quote:

huh?

It’s been said here before
    and for those who missed it then
    now seems to be a good time for a refresher

“to know PHIGS is … well … to know PHIGS”

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

just my $.02

Hate the St. Croix? That’s a little harsh. It does get busier than heck out there some weekends. Makes for some good sight seeing in my opinion. Nothing against pool 2, but I would boat on the Croix over pool 2 every time.

x2. Its big water compared to Miss. I avoid the high traffic days/times. If you go out on a nice weekend during the summer you will be capsized by tuna boats after 10am.
    P3 rarely has heavy traffic but it requires more skill to navigate.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

just my $.02

x2. Its big water compared to Miss. I avoid the high traffic days/times. If you go out on a nice weekend during the summer you will be capsized by tuna boats after 10am.
    P3 rarely has heavy traffic but it requires more skill to navigate.

P3 is fun too, but for a full day of boating, I like 2 a little more. It has a little less traffic, and many more islands and navigable backwaters to explore.

And for real enjoyable trip, launch on lower 2 and run way up the MN until it starts to get too shallow. Then idle back down.

No swimming in the MN River for me though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.