Composite Decking

• super_do
    St Michael, MN

I am re-doing my mom’s deck and looking at using composite decking. I know…pricey, but I don’t want to spend any time maintaining a deck when I could be fishing instead. Trying to look at this stuff on-line sucks. That’s why I am asking here. What have you guys used and would you use it again?

Thanks

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Personally I do not care for the composite decking, jmo.

I’m replacing my 34 year old deck (it is not totaled yet by any means, however not new anymore either) with the same material I built it with.
    2×6 treated. In the day it was the Wolmanized branded item, in 2 and better and #1 for the rails.. It had semitransparent stain applied at one year old. Olympic at the time made a crappy product imo.
    And I did it again ay 5 or so years of age. I’ve power washed it once no, I think twice in its life.

I cannot think any other product for the cost, overall looks, strength and the easy of the install would do me any better. I have approx 300 sqft of deck area.

iowaeye

If you are referring to ultradeck i warn you that stuff breaks and scratches easily. It does look good but looks awful when broke. The reversible stuff is ok because it can obviously be flipped over if need be. I would personally steer clear of it and go cedar or cedar composite.

Rob2001
    Savage, MN

If you go composite, make sure your joists are a MINIMUM of 12″ on center.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I haven’t used it. My brother-in-law used composite last year, and he has been happy so far. I don’t know what he used, but I can ask. I know my parents were looking at it a couple years ago but ended up just rebuilding with cedar because it was about half the cost of composite.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

If it is in a shaded area, I would go with cedar. If it is in a sunny area, go with composite. I like cedar better, but I have to restain my cedar deck that is in the sun every 2 years if I want it too look good. My cedar decks that are in the shade still look good after 5 plus years.

Rob2001
    Savage, MN

Quote:

If you go composite, make sure your joists are a MINIMUM of 12″ on center.

Whoops, just noticed I said Minimum, when I meant MAXIMUM

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I just did mine 2 summers ago with the Veranda solid composite decking from Home Depot, it is similar to Trex just a little cheaper.

It was a lot of work because they suggest predrilling the holes so you don’t spin screw heads off. If you go composite make sure you get the solid decking not the hollow stuff and definitely predrill the holes it will make your life way easier.
    I also purchased a dewalt deckscrew gun which made driving the screws a piece of cake and left them flush every time.
    It also takes special screws, you can’t just get any old deck screw.

Even though it took a lot of work and cost quite a bit more the deck turned out spectacular.
    It looks great and there is no maintenance other than hosing it down now and then. Also no worries about slivers.

I questioned myself numerous times over the summer while I was doing it but when it was all said and done it was worth all the time and effort I put in to it.

The old decking was all splintery and nails were popping up all over so we rarely used the deck now that it is done we use it all the time. I will see if I can get a couple pictures tonight before dark and post them.

If you have any questions you can certainly shoot me a PM.
    John

big_g
    Isle, MN

I helped Tuck’s brother re-surface his deck last summer, with the Home Depot stuff, that you screw from underneath with brackets. Can’t see a screw head anywhere and it looks great. He like’s it so far I believe You can see it under the BIG Green Egg (he smokes some awesome ribs BTW)

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I think the key is figuring out if your mom will actually see any benefit from the advantages that composite materials offer.

I’m a huge fan of this stuff because if the deck is designed and built properly, it solves a whole host of problems that plague wooden decks. But you have to build it right and you have to be in a position where you’ll actually realize the benefits.

I talked my parents out of using it for their new deck. Why? Because they won’t see a return for the added cost. They’re in thier 70s and therefore it’s very unlikely that they will be in their present house long enough to see a return on the added cost.

There’s no such thing as the generic “composite decking”. Most manufacturers have specific design and installation methods for their specific material. They also have specific fasteners and construction methods.

From what I’ve heard, most people that have problems with composite have shot themselves in the foot by not following the manufacturer’s design and installation guide. Stringers too far apart, not following size and load guidelines for the deck design, not predrilling, not using the recommended fastener system or fasteners, not following the fastening method, etc, etc.

First you have to determine if it makes sense.

Grouse

jbob
    Hastings, MN

I did my deck about 8 years ago with Trex and love it. no more staning just power wash once a year.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I had a contractor redo ours about 5 years ago with GEO deck, with aluminum railings. Looks great and no more staining.
    Jack

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I was talking to a friend,, the other night at Izaak Walton League and he stated which kind of decking he used, dag-nibbity-nab-it I can’t remember which composite brand he used. Any hoot he stated he had to power wash his every year because of mold growing on it from the underside on a walk-out basement.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.