Thanks James!!

• steveo
    W Central Sconnie

What James said is correct. Along with warmer water temps and more weeds. LM bass have done better and are becoming more of a dominant species. WDNR would like a greater harvest of bass to even things out. That’s all I’m saying. I am not advocating knifing largemouth bass and throwing them back. Not even sure where that came into play. Look at my avatar. I am primarily a bass fisherman!

Rob2001
    Savage, MN

Quote:

I am not advocating knifing largemouth bass and throwing them back. Not even sure where that came into play.

Yes I understand you never brought up knifing, I just used it as an example. As I feel if a diehard walleye guy believes bass and musky are detrimental to the walleye, they also believe they have the power to “restore” a fishery and knifing fish they don’t want in a lake is the easiest for the average fishermen to do.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

What James said is correct. Along with warmer water temps and more weeds. LM bass have done better and are becoming more of a dominant species. WDNR would like a greater harvest of bass to even things out. That’s all I’m saying. I am not advocating knifing largemouth bass and throwing them back. Not even sure where that came into play. Look at my avatar. I am primarily a bass fisherman!

Just wondering, if the WDNR wants a greater harvest on Bass, how do they suppose that’s gonna happen when it seems most Bass fishermen return them to the lake?

Al

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Quote:

Just wondering, if the WDNR wants a greater harvest on Bass, how do they suppose that’s gonna happen when it seems most Bass fishermen return them to the lake?

Al

There is a lake in Wisconsin I think the name is Nelson? The Walleye guys there are so convinced that Bass are a problem that they have a “bass fry” every year. It’s a kill them and fry them mentality over there. There are zero studies that will suggest that it has helped the lake.
    The narrow minded on Lake Osakis in Minnesota for years have claimed Muskie are eating their precious Walleye but that hasn’t been proved either.

Mother nature balances things out. Man just screws things up.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Mother nature balances things out. Man just screws things up.

A’fricken MEN!

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

it’s very close to hayward also. that lake has a lot of issues. stunted largies are only one. they had a bass fry on the Chip last year also. they did encourage everyone to bring a limit in and they had quite the party.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

The more people that have his mentality the worse it is overall for the fisheries. I hear of people that slice the belly of musky and bass and toss them back whenever they catch them. If I ever witnessed someone do that I would call TIP immediately. It’s such a waste!

First time I’ve ever heard that one.
    Report away if you ever see this as we all should.

I must say, as far as I know, it was in fact the WDNR fisheries managers that first brought this topic up. I really don’t see the need to hammer on another individual just for posting what the fisheries managers were already saying. It may not be what you believe but that doesn’t make any more or less true.

As time goes on, I would guess we will all learn more about the what the major culprit in the decline of walleyes in these lakes really is.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I’m betting acid rain….

Al

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.