Joseph Kony Must Be Stopped

• silv3rjad3
    Rochester, Minnesota

The video that has broken the hearts of many, and inspired people to take action. If this video inspires you, please support us in spreading the word on April 20th, 2012. Any help is appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

For more information on Joseph Kony or what people in Rochester are going to do about it, here’s some links:

The Invisible Children website for more info on the cause itself:
    http://kony2012.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

A Facebook event page created specifically for April 20th:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/413370065345727/

Thank you so much for your time and consideration!

Sterling

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Or… Maybe focus your time, energy, and money on helping people in this Country? Just a thought .

silv3rjad3
    Rochester, Minnesota

Name one worthy cause that a 20 year old unemployed man can really make an impact on and I’ll start right up. Just sayin.

timmy

Salvation Army. Go volunteer to cook and feed. It will really have an impact on several people.

There – I named one. Just sayin.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Name one worthy cause that a 20 year old unemployed man can really make an impact on and I’ll start right up. Just sayin.

Let me predicate this by saying I am not being a smart arse. There are many volunteer opportunities.

Easy guys. On a good discussion, we should keep it civil.

I know, I know. Look whose talking.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

I’ll give ya one:
    Go to a veteran’s hospital and volunteer to assist our disabled, aging veterans who have sacrificed for your freedom you have by offering their own freedoms.

I’ll give ya a 2nd one:
    Go to any children’s hopsital and give a dying or sick child some attention and love by reading a book?

I’ll give ya a 3rd:
    Go to any nursing home and give the elderly some attention and love because they have no other.

I’ll give ya a 4th one:
    Go to any woman/children’s shelter and offer volunteer work to assist battered and abused women and children.

And lastly:
    Go to a soup kitchen and help feed the poor.

Just some ideas…….

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Agree… there is a ton of good things any of us could do right now, in our own backyard. You can still share your thoughts on the situation in the video, but don’t use it as an excuse to do nothing else here. Simply voicing your opinions there should not make you feel satisfied you have done all you can, age and unemployment is an excuse.

Good to want to help,and take up a cause, but never under estimate what one person can do here, and now with just a simple effort.

silv3rjad3
    Rochester, Minnesota

I’ve got my plate quite full right now with what organization and handing out of information for this but the suggestions you guys gave are all quite valid. I will look into other things I can do around here.

timmy

Quote:

So you are unemployed…and stated that if you found a good cause you would start right up….. but when presented with a list, you are too busy.

You’re writin checks you won’t/can’t cash….lol

silv3rjad3
    Rochester, Minnesota

Really though. Back to the task at hand. I’m not here to figure out what else I can do where I’m at. I’m trying to raise awareness for the cause I have currently taken up. If you guys don’t mind, watch the video, tell your friends, maybe donate a little money, or just copy and paste the video to your facebook walls. I’m just asking you guys for help. All you have to do is either ignore it or push a few buttons. You make the decision.

silv3rjad3
    Rochester, Minnesota

Because I’m in the middle of doing something that takes up a large amount of my time and energy. Am I supposed to drop what I’m doing right now and start on a list of [censored] some random guy gave me? Use your head man. I’m currently in charge of telling 560 people where to meet how to make their own awareness stuff and when and how we are going to do this. I have little more than a month to do all of this stuff and you are sitting here telling me I’m not holding to my word?

timmy

Nah – I am just sitting here busting your chops….. bored….. leaving for a walleye trip tomorrow, watching the the clock.

You stated if you found a cause, you’d sign right up…..

Just bustin your chops…..no foul intended.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have recently become aware this modern day Hitler… brainwashing young kids to go back and murder their own families, among other things… I was a guest teacher in an 8th gr class studying the holocaust and there was a comparison of Joseph Kony’s methodology and that of the Hitler Youth Movement in pre WWII Germany

I don’t know how many here on IDO were aware of this horrible situation, but thnk you for bringing it to our attention…But the sad reality is these tragedies have been going on in Africa for centuries…

I don’t think we can do much more than pray for them…no amount of US aid, food or money will stop Joseph Kony. The African Govt cold take him out in a heartbeat if they wanted to…

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Because I’m in the middle of doing something that takes up a large amount of my time and energy. Am I supposed to drop what I’m doing right now and start on a list of [censored] some random guy gave me? Use your head man. I’m currently in charge of telling 560 people where to meet how to make their own awareness stuff and when and how we are going to do this. I have little more than a month to do all of this stuff and you are sitting here telling me I’m not holding to my word?

I am currently working at a job where I work about 60-70 hours a week, add in a commute of an hour a day, volunteer with my local fire department about another 8 hours a week, volunteer with a local ambulance crew as an EMT another 10-16 hours a week, and you are putting too much time and energy into a cause?? We all have extra time, it is simply where we decide to use it.

So I should give money to some random guy on the internet who puts together a video with plenty of unchecked facts, made by a guy who uses his own child as a pawn to make us feel bad, to an organization that for all I know is selling guns to the Armenians. Is it a tax right off

I watched as much of the video as I could, but the same liberal whiny sky is falling rhetoric gets a little old. While I am happy you are putting your efforts into a project that you feel is relevant and meaningful, you have to understand that it is simply not meaningful to many people.

I see you are a Rochester guy. If your interested, I can get you into an EMT class for free as long as you agree to work for the department for one year after you are done. Put your enthusiasm into something local and productive.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I haven’t watched the video, however I would suggest if there’s anything to be discussed that shouldn’t be “taken personally”, it should be by PM.

silv3rjad3
    Rochester, Minnesota

No foul felt Timmy. As for the U.S. Government not doing anything, they won’t because it doesn’t come up as important enough for them to do. That’s what this whole movement is about. Showing the government that it is important enough. If enough average joes stand up and say “This is important!” Then eventually the government will listen. Currently there are 100 U.S. advisors over there helping where they can in the hunt for Joseph Kony and a lot of this is also to make sure those men and women stay over there.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

While I fully appreciate that this cause is important to you I have to say that IMO if you put as much effort into organizing 560 people to help a local charity could really have a positive impact on your own community

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Isn’t the guy already indicted by the International Criminal Court at The Hague? From what I understand he moves freely between African nations to hide, so it is downright impossible to find the guy, and the Ugandan military is doing all they can with US support.

What are you/they proposing we do in this case? Serious question.

silv3rjad3
    Rochester, Minnesota

That is really awesome. Would that be an offer that is still standing after I find out whether I’ve been hired at Crenlo here in Rochester?

silv3rjad3
    Rochester, Minnesota

This is also a really great idea, and thanks for mentioning it. I don’t see why not after this Kony deal is done on the 20th why I can’t carry over our interests to local things as well. Something like this would be a great way to recruit people for that.

silv3rjad3
    Rochester, Minnesota

I’m just supporting the maintained United States presence there to assist with finding and capturing him. I don’t have any idea really as to what they could do over there. I just hope with the money and support that people are giving that something more can be done.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Being stuck on a telecon I had a couple minutes to search the web… Shockingly it sounds like funds donated to Invisible Children Inc a) mostly go to supporting the pocketbooks and film business of the organizations founders and b) are used to provide weapons to the Ugandan Army which also is riddled with accusations of rape and looting.

http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/07/on-kony-2012-2/

Again I applaud your efforts but please think about placing said efforts and any $$ you raise to support local charities in which a much higher % of your $$ raised will actually go towards helping others and not simply supporting the opposing side of an African war in which each side is equally attrocious.

Also, here are just a few charities supporting African children with a much better rating

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=8875

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=8392

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3220

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4943

silv3rjad3
    Rochester, Minnesota

As for this comment. Did I ever say I’ve always cared about them? No. I just recently found out about it and feel that with the help of millions of others around the world that something more can be done. They are called the “Invisible Children” for that reason exactly, because not a lot of people are aware of what is happening to them.

silv3rjad3
    Rochester, Minnesota

I’ve been told about how shady the organization itself is. I’m just trying to raise awareness about the children being raped and murdered. Any money we raise will be used to make posters and pamphlets to spread around on the 20th. Any left over money will be donated to something local.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I really can’t wait for the day someone starts putting this kind of effort and support into taking care of the issues we have right here in this country. Most other country’s hate the United States to begin with but yet they reach there hands out as far as they can when the money starts flowing. And as far as money goes, we are running on borrowed time right now.

As I get older these videos no longer bother me. I’m tired of hand outs and do gooders going to other countries. I know these videos are made just to prey on the weak hearted. I’m sure anyone of us could make a video with a starving kid, neglected child, or a kid growing up in fear of being shot right here on our own soil.

I think it is time we take care of our own right here in the U.S.A.
    Just my opinion

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

With all do respect, there are millions of kids here in the U.S. being raped, murdered, in sex slavery… There is way more that needs to be done HERE, than over there. Yes, it is very tragic, but cmon look on the local news of all you could be helping or changing…just sayin’

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

With all do respect, there are millions of kids here in the U.S. being raped, murdered, in sex slavery… There is way more that needs to be done HERE, than over there. Yes, it is very tragic, but cmon look on the local news of all you could be helping or changing…just sayin’

With all due respect….Please advise your source providing the “fact” that MILLLIONS of children are being raped, murdered in the sex industry in the USA. I agree one is too many but seriously millions? According to the human trafficking organization’s own numbers are 17,500-18,000 and this is all human trafficking not just for the sex industry. http://www.humantrafficking.org/countries/united_states_of_america

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

That is really awesome. Would that be an offer that is still standing after I find out whether I’ve been hired at Crenlo here in Rochester?

the offer stands. PM me when you would be ready and I can see when we can set up the next training.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

Or… Maybe focus your time, energy, and money on helping people in this Country? Just a thought .

Amen brother! When are we going to finally understand this simple philosophy in this country?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.