walleye jigging with monofilament/fluorocabon ?

• BassEye
    rochester,mn

Help me understand this.
    when or what make you pick up rod with this line set up Vs braid line set up?
    I only used braid line for the last couple years of fishing.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Help me understand this.

For me I use mono when I want to slow the fall rate of my jig. Mono has a slight buoyancy. I use that to my advantage when working current seams/wingdams.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

With super clear water I would go to fluro.. I like fluro when snap jigging because the lines are a little more forgiving… I usually fish shallower water.. I haven’t noticed a difference between braid and fluro/mono. But thats just me.. I was gonna try braid again this summer though.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I go with the superlines in deep water. 28-35 feet. Otherwise I use Stren Magna Thin. Fluorocarbon is mainly used as a tippet for leadcore trolling or jigging with a superline. Try spooling up a reel with all carbon and your gonna have a mess in a hurry. It has too much memory.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I like 4 or 6 pound crystal for the deeper water or where I am vertically jigging water with a ton of current and I need a slightly heavier jig. Shallower water I generally use Vanish fluoro straight up in 6 or 8 pound without any problems whatever. Heavier fluoro seems to have more memory byt the lighter lines are fine.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Help me understand this.

For me I use mono when I want to slow the fall rate of my jig. Mono has a slight buoyancy. I use that to my advantage when working current seams/wingdams.

It is not so much the mono filament line that slows the drop rate. It is the line diameter creating more resistance in the water. A braid and and a mono line with the same diameter would have very similar drop rates.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I have found using both lines in the past, for whatever reason, I’ve been able to get more fish into the boat using 8# mono, over floro or braid. So I now only use the 8# mono.
    Jack

milemark_714

I don’t hear much anymore about Cortland Endurance line?

I like to use P-line CX in clear/blue.

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

I was the same way until I talked with James and another friend of mine, with the use of specific types of line. Braided has its advantages, yes, but when it comes to cold weather, I now stay away. Braided is porous, and not ideal for ice conditions. It tends to hold water on the line and freeze up and you’ll be spending more time getting the ice off your line or pulling the line off the spool, because it has been froze solid. (Happened to me all the time) Mono, is can be good, but I think Flourocarbon is the best! It sinks and aides you jig/lure to get to the target zone faster and has less stretch for hook setting in comparison to Mono. Although, Mono is said to have less memory than Flouro. I guess it all really boils down to preference. Just find what makes you feel satisfied. Braided in open water fishing, I see use for topwater baits i.e. frogs or baits that are going through rough stuff, like weeds, logs/ branches or even rocky areas. It tends to float which helps topwater baits as well. Flouro is used more for cranks, again, it sinks. There is so much info on the types of line and its uses, just do a little more research, and test stuff out. Hope I helped some… ( My grammar, punctuation, possible typos are all over the place I know. Sorry in advance to the grammar Nazis.)

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

I can give good suggestions to specific line brands if desired…

kvang
    MN

I would suggest Mono/Fluoro for shallow water and braid when going deeper…

I ran into issue when fishing 15+ FOW where mono and fluoro just dont cut it (on feel) and have to switch to a braid.

coxaaa
    Northern IA

As said above, mono/floro will slow the fall of jigs for pitching or downstream dragging. It’s tough for me to use them with cranks considering the extra depth and sensitivity I get from fused or coated braids like crystal or nanofil…

fishdale

Quote:

I have found using both lines in the past, for whatever reason, I’ve been able to get more fish into the boat using 8# mono, over floro or braid. So I now only use the 8# mono.
    Jack

+1 All the jigging rods are going back to 6 or 8# mono this year.

BassEye
    rochester,mn

thanks every one.
    I was not sure to invest in another jigging rod for this set up. Spring is here I’ll buy one.
    I do most of my fishing here in pool 4 just because it close to home.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.