Evert’s

• fireline
    Rochester

Who was ” Tony ” from the old Evert’s days ?

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Tony was probably the original (what was supposed to be) CO-owner of Everts. He and his family lived there for many years.
    I don’t remember when he passed away, but he was found in his truck ready to meet fisherman for the day.
    Nice guy. I used to give his wife a few Saugers when I’d go out every trip, and she always appreciated the meal, sweet lady.
    Jack

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Tony died 14 years ago.

I only met him twice.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

So 2 meetings was all it took? I should consider myself lucky.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Quote:

So 2 meetings was all it took? I should consider myself lucky.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Yes, funny.

fireline
    Rochester

Quote:

Tony was probably the original (what was supposed to be) CO-owner of Everts. He and his family lived there for many years.
    I don’t remember when he passed away, but he was found in his truck ready to meet fisherman for the day.
    Nice guy. I used to give his wife a few Saugers when I’d go out every trip, and she always appreciated the meal, sweet lady.
    Jack

Thanks Jack .

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Tony could be a character. lol In a way I miss him, his antics and his wry humor.

smitty1
    Duluth/Hermantown/Owatonna MN

I fished with Tony a couple of times also. He could be a pain and a funny guy all in the same conversation. He was Old School–Double jig flag and minnow, still works!

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Be careful about the old days lol, it was only a couple of bucks to launch, it was always a suprise if we beat him to the landing as we had to drive an hour and a half. i liked him, ya didn’t know if he was givin ya crap or just feedin ya crap

Lunkers

I have been a lurker for years and this thread on Tony motivated me to join and post. Years ago my buddy and I decided it was time to hit the river. It was a cold December morning just right for socking a few eyes. When we arrived at Everts, Old Man River as we referred to Tony was clearing ice from the dock that had floated down and was pushing on the dock. One foot on the dock the other kicking ice away. Well he greeted us as chrome boy as I have an electro-plating business and I had dressed up my 79 Ford F150. He had seen it before and he recognized our arrival. We were proceeding to put in when we heard a splash and looked over and Tony had fallen in and was hanging on to the dock for dear life. We rushed over and pulled him from the freezing water. He was kind of white and shivering like a sauger you just dropped on the floor of the boat. We told him to go get on dry gear and we proceeded to put our boat in. My buddy and I talked and said maybe we would get a free landing out of the deal. We had always been amazed that even during the coldest days when there was only a handfull of boats at the landing Old man river would trek out from his comfort and warmth to collect the five bucks. And this morning was no different. After changing he caught up with us before we pushed off and said “I believe you boys owe me five bucks”. No free minnows, no free launch, business as usual. You had to love him!!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to the posting side of In-DepthOutdoors Rick!!!

That is a great story thanks for sharing it here!

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Rick B. You old LURKER. ………rrr..r

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

I too can add some “old stories” into the topic; Back in the 80’s I used to come to Red Wing every spring, I would stay next door, what was known as “Barb’s Dam Resort”.For some strange reason Barb & Tony were like oil & water they did not like each other. I can vividedly remember when encountering Tony in his blue truck asking for launch money, passing one another, he always would say to me, you wanna catch fish, get rid of that damn rubber(meaning plastics)I just wish he were still alive today to see if he would feel the same toward “rubber”

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.