Aquatic Invasive Species Rules Decal Law

• trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I see this is to be on our boats in Mn , where do we get them?

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

I see this is to be on our boats in Mn , where do we get them?

They gave me one at a ramp inspection last year.I have one on my trailer from a few years back.Didn’t know they are to be on our boats also.

Moores Bait

I think you are talking about the new decal that must be affixed to your boat, with the bottom part of it attached to your trailers upright. This is new this year and different from the one a person might have gotten from a boat inspection at the ramp.

They were handing them out at the Mpls boat show, and I am sure in a few weeks at the spotsman show. Otherwise I would think a goverment ctr would carry them were you renew your tabs.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Hey Bob. I just renewed my boat through 2014 yesterday, and they did not mention this at all. I get home and am paging through the boating guide and sure enough it is one of the ‘New this year’ things.

It even lists a charge of 5.00 in the book for it, but I was not charged? My buddy bought his tabs yesterday at a different license center, and again no mention of this. Is this really just run this poorly? Where do you get the stupid sticker?!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I don’t think this is a law at this point is it?

I think it’s just a proposal, I’m sure Buzz or somebody that knows for sure will chime in.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

OK, so I just called the number in the boating guide and spoke to someone. She said that the stickers are not done at the printer and to keep an eye out for a news release in a month or so. She said at that point they can be picked up at boat dealers, state parks, and license centers.

She also said that the rule is not to be enforced until August 1, 2014.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

DFresh, where did you register your boat?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Anoka County License Center on Foley.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

There are actually two issues cooking.

Currently there is a free silver sticker that must be displayed somewhere visible in your boat. Not inside a compartment or under a seat LOL. Also for the last 10-12 years there has been a $5 AIS surcharge every time you register or re-register a watercraft. According to my contacts: getting the decal printed has been a challenge but we are finally getting 400,000 next week. All 174 deputy registrars statewide will be receiving the decals hopefully next week and they will be including the decals when boat licenses go out. We will also send decals out to most of the main DNR offices statewide and to key businesses to hand out. We will also be handing them out a many sport and boat shows. Our inspectors and conservation officers will also have the decals to hand out.

The second issue is about whats being planned for 2015. I was over at the Capitol yesterday and sat in on the Senate hearing for SF 1830 which if enacted will create a Statewide course in preventing AIS and all watercraft owners will need to pass the test and a new trailer decal will be provided. Then in House File 2171 (retro till 1/1/2012) the watercraft registration fees go from

$10.50 canoes, kayaks sailboards, paddleboards, paddle boats and rowing shells

$27 watercraft less then 19ft

$37.50 personal watercraft

$45 watercraft over 19 feet

$67.50 26ft to 40ft

$ over 40ft

These increased fees are for all watercraft.

Ingy

Hmmm, A mandatory course on AIS but drunken idiots are still allowed to drive their tuna boats without having to show any competence or knowledge of boating rules and regulations?
    Genius!

Ingy

danno
    Central MN

Quote:

Currently there is a free silver sticker that must be displayed somewhere visible in your boat. Not inside a compartment or under a seat LOL.

That’s not what the law says.

b) The aquatic invasive species rules decal must be attached to the watercraft.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.