Yamaha 4 Stroke

• Hersh
    Iowa

Guys need some advise. Looking at buying a boat that has a 2001 Yamaha 4 str 50 hp tiller on it. I don’t know anything about this brand (have only run Opti’s). Any and all input about this motor would be great. The unit looks in like new condition (boat/motor). Has had very little use and always stored inside.

Thanks

Hersh

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Mine has been rock solid although it is a 2008, so a bit newer.

Do all the regular things, look at the oil, look at the prop, pull top cover and take a look for fluid leaks. Fire it up, it will pop right off. I wouldn’t run it for more then a couple of seconds dry but it will reassure you it will run ok. If you are getting it from a dealer you can pass on starting it. They will always guarantee it will run.

It won’t be a speed demon by any means. But it will be a good reliable motor for years to come. The motor would be the least of my concerns if everything looks good.

Good luck with the new rig!

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

We have a 2003 90 horse on our Crestliner and I couldn’t be happier with it. Runs great and is very easy to maintaine. Like DutchBoy said do your homework and look it over, but Yamaha makes a great motor!

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

That motor will be rock solid and smooth, should troll down to a creep. I just sold my rig with 2003 F40 and it was just as I mentioned. Keep the oil changed and watch the crankcase for it increasing in oil volume (the old making oil trick). Sometimes if these engines were not broken in properly, they will continue to “make” oil for a long time.
    I would not hesitate to purchase it from what you describe.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

I have a 2010 F40 on my 16′ Aluminum and it is a great running motor and very efficient on fuel. I am very pleased with it.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Mine is an 02. I kind of sucks it is the last year of carbs and if they get crudded up, I have heard it is not cheap. Mine doesn’t like old gas and I put a fuel separator filter in and run seafoam in it all the time just for prevention. But, seems a lot nicer than my friend’s 50hp two stroke.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

You are gonna love Yamaha 4 strokes. They are bullit proof if it has been taken care of.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I have an ’05 F75 tiller and it has been everything promised and more for me. Super quiet, clean, easy on fuel, trolls down great – it’s been simply awesome!

I bought mine used from a private party and paid a dealer to go through the motor for me, compression test, leak down test, check the fluids and the history. It was well worth the piece of mind for me.

Hersh
    Iowa

Guys thanks for all the positive infor. I knew I could get help. This is a great sight. As far as what Iam looking for speed is not required because I am coming from a 70 mph bass boat(sold it) to a jet powered kayak and alum style fishing boat. Needed to change with 5 grandkids. Needed
    more room in the boat and not traveling as far to fish anymore. So if this deal does’nt work out please keep me in mine if you know of someone that might sell their boat. I would be looking for alum rig 16′ -17′ steering or tiller in the range of 2000 – 2003 yr 50 – 75 hp.

Thanks Guys,

Hersh

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

A while back a friend had a 50hp Yam 4 stroke on a small Warrior (glass boat). I thought it was sluggish and under powered. I do not know what the rating was on the boat. I just thought it should of had more pep. A F75 or F90 would be better if at/ or under the boat rating.

Good Luck,

Jack

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

I have a 2010 F40 on my 16′ Aluminum and it is a great running motor and very efficient on fuel. I am very pleased with it.

How slow can you troll with it?

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

Mine is an 02. I kind of sucks it is the last year of carbs and if they get crudded up, I have heard it is not cheap.

Can you clarify what you said here? 02′ was the last year of carbs on the 40 hp Yamaha?

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Quote:

Quote:

How slow can you troll with it?

I can troll under 2.0 mph on the gps with my F75 – I do have the VTS option (variable trolling speed)

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

I can troll under 2.0 mph on the gps with my F75 – I do have the VTS option (variable trolling speed)

That’s a nice feature, but don’t think it’s available on the 20-40hp outboards. I am trying to decide between a 25hp and 40hp tiller, and trolling speed of the bigger HP is my concern.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I LOVE MY YAMAHA MOTORS!!!! I have no personal experance with the 4 stroke 50 hp tiller but I do have a 2003 90hp 2 stroke Yamaha and A 2007 Yamaha T8 kicker, I can not say enough good things about these motors they both run like a charm and have been flawless for me. When it comes time for a new boat it will be powered with a Yamaha!

lefty1954

I love my Yamaha! I have a 2005 F200. Best motor I ever had. It runs quieter that my Merc 9.9 4 stroke.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Mine is an 02. I kind of sucks it is the last year of carbs and if they get crudded up, I have heard it is not cheap.

Can you clarify what you said here? 02′ was the last year of carbs on the 40 hp Yamaha?

I think that he is saying that Yamaha went with EFI in the next year of that motor. Resulting in better cold weather starting for us winter open water fishermen.

FDR

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Ahh. I think they actually went to EFI on the 50hp on 05′, the 115 in 01′ or 02’…and other sizes like the 40hp more recently (09′)…so was just curious.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.