Mushrooms Anyone?

• scottsteil
    Central MN

Just wondering if anyone down South is finding Morels yet? I know when I used to live in Iowa we would start finding them about this time of year?

Lets use this thread to report our findings. Now that I live in Central MN I know I have some time to wait yet. When I was out in Spring Valley, IL last week conditions were just perfect but I was busy fishing. Any reports?

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Scott:

Had the lilacs started blooming while you guys were down there? I always seemed to remember that when I lived in Iowa and southern Wisconsin that was about the right time. The other one I used to hear was if the oak leaves were as big as squirrel’s ears.
    Mark

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Were a few weeks out here I’m sure. Usually end of April, beginning of May. Need rain bad or nothing’s going to pop. My honey holes last year were dry so I am in bad need of a shroom fix.

willowcat
    Lake City, MN

I’ve been waiting myself. No lilacs yet, when they do im heading down to hunt shrooms.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Yes, Lilacs are a fair indicator, However, I have found that if you wait until they bloom you probably missed some of the best picking. When the Lilacs are in full bloom some of the best picking is usually over.

Every piece of ground is different though. I owned some land in Iowa that would produce HUGE yellows but it was usually 1st of may before those big ones would come out. I start with South facing hills early in the year. Then switch over to shaded or North facing areas as it warms and gets later in May.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I believe it is still to early. Some moisture would also help as it is please dry here. The aspargus should also be starting soon.

TBeirl514
    Covington Indiana

Just a small amount of info ,Watch the weather you will need three nights in a row of sixty degree weather,then they will pop big time .Good luck

jryan
    Rochester, MN

Last year was the earliest I ever found some, April 14th,
    south side of hill, sandy, at base of cedars after a nice rain a couple of days before, outside of preston on trout stream, the small grey or black ones.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just a note of caution for those of you reading these post. Know you ‘shrooms before picking and dinning.

It’s best to go with an experiance ‘shroomer before heading out on your own. I would bet that anyone of these guys would go out with a first timer to help them get started safely.

The first time I went aspargus hunting was the first time I ever ate baby ferns…well, not really, but you get my point….

jumpndaboat
    Barneveld, WI

Nothing down here in SW WI. Too dry. We need the rain to make the mushrooms start poppin’.

Thanks,
    JumpNDaBoat

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That could be a problem BrianK since shroomers don’t share their spots…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I thought of that, but I knew you would be the first person to step forward to help a new ‘shroomer…

Actully I was thinking of someone (not me ’cause I don’t know the differance) showing a newbie what to look for in a morel.

Hey, I was looking for a boat…any boat with a Suzuki on it down in Prescot today. Didn’t see one though.

Tom S
    Woodbury MN

Hope we get the forcasted rain later this week. Warm temps and wet weather time to hit the woods.

illinois

i live in illinois about mid of the state i herd some small greay were being found near river banks the really small ones we need rain and warm weather the id say in 2 weeks they will really come for us

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.