Need a good New Motel/Hotel in Rochester Mn.

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Mama and I are going to head out of town this weekend and I want to book a room in Rochester… I used to live there but many things have changed since I left in Oct. of 92

Were celebrating out 31st wedding anniversary, so I would like something pretty nice.. Doesn’t have to be the best… but not the worst either..

Thanks

sink-her
    Kasson MN

What were you thinking of doing? Just a get away, nice place to stay and go out to eat?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

There is the Kahler motel downtown.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Give the Doubletree a call. A lot of good feedback from friends and fam that stay there….

King sized bed with spa. Lots of good dining in the area with a comedy club who hosts some pretty funny folks but it’s hit and miss. Congrats on 31 years. That’s awesome! have fun….

http://www.gooniescomedy.com/

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/RSTDTDT-DoubleTree-by-Hilton-Hotel-Rochester-Mayo-Clinic-Area-Minnesota/index.do?WT.srch=1&pSearch=true&_r1b=off&searchdef=2137956&k_clickid=54f73d01-199a-6b09-7252-000029e3e659&002=002%3D2137956%26021%3D640588&006=8208098774&007=Search&008=&009=b&011={QueryString}&012=+doubletree%20+rochester%20+MN

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

What were you thinking of doing? Just a get away, nice place to stay and go out to eat?

I’m sure Mama is going to want to shop… Out to eat…what ever.. you know… just a get a way !!
    Hot tub sounds nice

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

Give the Doubletree a call. A lot of good feedback from friends and fam that stay there….

King sized bed with spa. Lots of good dining in the area with a comedy club who hosts some pretty funny folks but it’s hit and miss. Congrats on 31 years. That’s awesome! have fun….

http://www.gooniescomedy.com/

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/RSTDTDT-DoubleTree-by-Hilton-Hotel-Rochester-Mayo-Clinic-Area-Minnesota/index.do?WT.srch=1&pSearch=true&_r1b=off&searchdef=2137956&k_clickid=54f73d01-199a-6b09-7252-000029e3e659&002=002%3D2137956%26021%3D640588&006=8208098774&007=Search&008=&009=b&011={QueryString}&012=+doubletree%20+rochester%20+MN

Thanks a lot !!

I will look into this one too

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Kahler and Double Tree are downtown, very nice and VERY expensive. Good options if you want to be downtown.

Comfort Suites and Country Inn and Suites are decent with good locations on the south side of town.

sink-her
    Kasson MN

I would say the Double Tree is nice place to stay. Two of my favorite places to eat downtown is Chesters and 300 Firsts both owened by the same people but 2 different menues.

IceJohn

Double Tree andHuHot Mongolian grill-

Huhot Mongolian Grill-Apache Mall awesome food and fun to watch the cooks.Congat.on 31 ICE JOHN

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

HuHot Mongolian grill-

The best place in Roch.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

We do like HuHots !!

First time someone recommended that place I thought they were talking about a gentleman’s club…

Wife and I have been to the one im Madison a few times now

Crickschop04

I’ll recommend the Best Western Soldiers Field. Close to downtown, close to the mall, and Twig’s is a great place to eat.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

any of the recomended places are good2 stay at. i would say michaels and victorias are 2of the better places2 eat in town but a little more upscale and spendy. enjoy your stay!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

any of the recomended places are good2 stay at. i would say michaels and victorias are 2of the better places2 eat in town but a little more upscale and spendy. enjoy your stay!

Wies, do you really like those places? To be honest I’ve never like the food there. Plus it’s high priced. My boss loves both places so when he’s buying lunch we end up there.

For those of you who don’t know they are italian food. Not sure how authentic it is.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

For those of you who don’t know they are italian food.

Correction – Michael’s is a steakhouse first, then basic American fare. Best steak in the area.

Dave, for something “different” you might consider a 20 mile drive west to Mantorville. The Hubbel House is there and their food is good but not exceptional like say Chester’s. But it is a historic place. Used to be a stage coach house back in the days. I think it was established in 1850’s. Presidients, stars, sports figures, etc have all eaten there and there are lots of pics and autographs to look at. Mantorville itself has some artsy fartsy and craft type shops that lots of women like. Just a suggestion as an option to the Mall and chain places (like HuHot).

For lunch go to John Hardee’s BBQ on south Broadway one day for sure. It has a hole in the wall atmosphere, but that is why you do lunch there. Get the small pork plate, jojo potatoes and side of your choice for about 7 bucks. You will not walk away hungry and the food is great. Be careful with the choice of sauces. Hot will not only make you sweat, but burn your if you are not a regular hot, hot food consumer.

The hotel choices in Rochester are endless because of the Clinic. Hampton Inn on South Broadway is nice and reasonable. You might try some thing like hotels.com or expedia.com no matter where you stay…place a bid, heck the only thing they can say is no! I find that you can usually get a room from 60-75% of posted rates. Start low and go upand in less than 15 minutes you’ll have put some money back in your pocket.

One last high restaurant that is excellent is Prescott’s. In sort of strip mall atmosphere, but nice inside and excellent food, but expensive,just like Chester’s.

BTW…still tugging around the purple Otter! Love that shack and set up.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

No wonder I don’t like Michaels. Ordering the wrong thing.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Here’s another vote for the Hubbel House if you’re up for a little extra drive. Better steak than Michael’s if you ask me. Micheal’s isn’t bad, but it’s full of old folks and just feels dated without the charm of the Hubbel.

John Hardy’s has the best BBQ you’ll find anywhere. If you and your wife like BBQ, don’t miss it.

Also, Chester’s is a pretty nice place if you want something with more of a twin cities feel to it. Pescara right in the DoubleTree is pretty darn good, too. Congrats on the anniversary!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Whistle Binkies on the lake is a pretty cool bar/restaurant. Good food and cool atmosphere.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Micheal’s isn’t bad, but it’s full of old folks and just feels dated without the charm of the Hubbel.

Let me guess, you are not a fan of red leather, dark wood heavy furniture

As far as the old folks go, if you ever are in Florida you know the best way to find to the good restaurants with good food at reasonable prices is to watch where the white hair goes at 4:00 ever day. Might have a few misses, but works more times than not.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Let me guess, you are not a fan of red leather, dark wood heavy furniture

As far as the old folks go, if you ever are in Florida you know the best way to find to the good restaurants with good food at reasonable prices is to watch where the white hair goes at 4:00 ever day. Might have a few misses, but works more times than not.

That wouldn’t be nearly as funny if it wasn’t true.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Congrats on your 31 years Dave!!!
    How much do you what to spend on a hotel, there are so many to choose from I might have a better idea of what to suggest if I knew what you want and your price range. Lots of good suggestions on places to eat, make sure you check out the http://www.canadianhonker.com the best food in town and very reasonable prices and my daughter works there! What day are you guys coming into town maybe we could hit happy hour if you like.

sink-her
    Kasson MN

B T W John Hardys best bbq in town in my opinion and congrats on 31 years Good luck and enjoy your stay

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Congrats on the 31 years. Good to see you last week, wish it was under better circumstances.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Way to go on the 31 years. Congrats to you and the bride. Have a good time.

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

I had a basketball tournament there over christmas break and we stayed at the hotel across from the Mayo clinic. It is where all the patients stay and their families. It was really nice and all the older sick people’s faces lit up when they saw our team walking down a hall. We occasionally had to stop and talk to some of the older men who played basketball back in the day. Overall it was a great expirience.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Thanks everyone for all your input… Debbie and I lived in Rochester for about 6 years from about 1987 to 1992..A lot has changed since then..

I have eaten at almost every place mentioned here… Hubble House was one of my fav’s…. The Seventh Rib was a good place… Beer Cheese Soup at John Barleycorn’s was FANTASTIC !!!

I remember the Hogies at a pizza place just down the street from the fair grounds was some good eats as well !!

Thanks again for all the info.. Were looking forward to some R~n~R for the weekend !!

OK.. one more thing… Is it really $700 for a room at the Double Tree for a hot tub room ? WOW !!!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

OK.. one more thing… Is it really $700 for a room at the Double Tree for a hot tub room ? WOW !!!

Well yeah. They have to cater to the Shieks and Royals that visit Roch.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.