Boycott Canadian Walleye Fillets

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Several groups of concerned sport fisher-folk approached the Ontario government Ministry of Natural Resources with their concerns; that we would like to see commercial fishing in Lake Erie abolished. The MNR, already in negotiations with the commercial fishing industry, said that commercial fishing is here to stay.
    Of course, the commercial fishery have much more funding to contribute to politicians and their parties, and funding available to run campaigns etc.
    The MNR has made the announcement ( see below) that they have signed an agreement with the commercial fishery industry. This agreement is so self-serving on both their parts, that it defies reasoning or common sense. The agreement puts the commercial fishing industry ‘in charge’ of their own fact gathering processes and policing – which is like putting a fox in charge of the hen house. The government is going to also use this data – to help regulate (all – including sport) fishing. As well, wouldn’t you know – the government is going to get an increase in royalties from all the fish caught from the commercial fishery.

Simply – our Ontario politicians won’t respond in the sport fisher’s favor – if you and I singly approach them – even en-mass: They will give you rhetoric, and statements that’ll effectively (as far as they’re concerned) put you on hold -permanently. They’ll dead end you with a volley of confusing fact and figures. Always remember, when you’re dealing with Ontario bureaucrats, that ‘bullshit baffles brains’ – so – when they lay their crap upon you. – don’t lose sight of your focus! They’ll also try to make us feel like small frogs in a big pond.
    Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York have all made new regulations to date for 2004, The Commercial netters NOTHING!!!
    The only way we can stop this netting now that it is so political and is actually making money for the Government, is to totally BOYCOTT all Canadian Walleye fillets. This is due to the fact that 80% of walleyes bought at Fish Markets, Stores and Restaurants are caught in Canadian waters of Lake Erie. They want you to think that the walleyes come from the lakes and rivers of upper Canada but they are basically reaping our US stocking programs.

We as Sportsmen can make a big influence on the amount of Walleyes sold by just not purchasing any walleye fillets. Also everytime you see walleye in the store or on a menu ask the waiter or worker if they are Canadian walleyes, if they are tell them about the boycott and we may be able to slow down the quantities that they catch. They will not net if they have nowhere to go with the fish.
    We must show them ( the Ontario government) that by their present course, they are not only disrespectful of millions of people on both sides of our borders, but they are sadly disrespectful of the renewable natural resources within Lake Erie – that we share.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

I second that!!!

I oppose netting of any kind, anywhere.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

I oppose netting of any kind, anywhere.

Unless it’s a 15 pounder with her teeth stuch into one of my crawler harnesses

Don Hanson

Where can I find more information on this?

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

Dave, believe it or not, I just had a thought! Do people honestly go to a store and purchase walleye fillets? It may sound dumb, but I have never even thought of doing that, nor do I know of anyone who has. I’ve never even seen these sold at any grocery store. Maybe I missed a whole lot more than I originally thought during my six trips around the globe.

Mark

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I’ve purchased walleye fillets many times. At 7-11 dollars per pound, it’s a lot cheaper than trying to catch them myself. Any supermarket or fish market will usually have them on display. So, let’s help out the cause and let em sit in the display case.

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

$7-11/pound???!!! Are you serious?

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Unfortunatly! I suppose I could buy cod, that’s quite a bit cheaper.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I order the walleye at Timberlodge usually, it’s Canuck walleye. I’ve asked. Guess I better learn to like steak more or quite eating there…..

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

The only fish I usually purchase is Salmon, can’t get over to fish them enough to satisfy that taste. I love Salmon!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Dave:

Talk about a quandry!!! My signature dish is walleye. I suppose I could buy them from the Native Americans, but after that I do not know where I could buy them and not have them be Canadian. It made me sick to watch the netting through IDAS’a fishthelake last spring on Mille Lacs and we go through the spearing up here on our lakes. As mad as this makes me, my current position is to look for another source, but if need be I will have to continue to buy the stuff from the Canucks.

Mark

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

The same goes for Culvers. Their promotion (in this area at least) is Canadian Walleye. Never tried it thou, the pictures on the meal make it look nasty.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Last October I was at a convention, and ordered Walleye for dinner. It had Y-bones! And it was undercooked and lukewarm. The worst piece of fish I’ve ever eaten and it wasn’t even a walleye fillet. Then the waitress started arguing with me. All I could do was laugh…

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I agree…I am boycotting all Canadian walleye. Just to be sure I don’t get confused I am also not allowing any walleyes or saugers to bite by jigs while on the river…You know, just to be sure!(And I can prove it)

Just a thought, but would boycotting Ontario resorts make an impact as well? It would surely cut down on the tourism dollars spent in the country. The drawback there is it would be punishing the local fellows like us much worse than the Queen.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

The same goes for Culvers. Their promotion (in this area at least) is Canadian Walleye. Never tried it thou, the pictures on the meal make it look nasty.

I actually called the Culvers here in St Paul and asked where the walleye came from. Got a bunch of mumbo-jumbo about it being “Up-North Walleye”. I said what the heck is that? He replied, it’s not walleye pike, it’s Up North Walleye! So I tend to think it’s carp from the St Croix.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Jon:

I wonder if they are serving zander, which is available and that would bring truth in advertising into question. I was fortunate to meet Mr. Culver last summer as he was a guest at the Club. It seems that we go back a lot longer, but that’s another story. I would like to think that he is using walleye, not the zander and also would think that they are purchasing Canadian stock.

Mark

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

I actually called the Culvers here in St Paul and asked where the walleye came from. Got a bunch of mumbo-jumbo about it being “Up-North Walleye”. I said what the heck is that? He replied, it’s not walleye pike, it’s Up North Walleye! So I tend to think it’s carp from the St Croix.

The signs here for Culvers in Waukesha advertise that the walleye is Canadian Walleye. The little back road/ mom-pop bars/restaurants in Waukesha county that offer the walleye fish fry for fridays get theres locally which is pretty cool, but then there are two draw backs, it is first come first serve due to the lack of walleyes in this area and two, they are taking fish from lakes that were once known for the walleye and no longer our not due to the over fishing and lack of stocking programs.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.