horsepower decision

• mojemann
    Concord, MA

I just put a deposit down on a leftover 2003 Lund 1600 Pro Sport. I want to use the boat for fishing on small water and taking the kids out cruising and tubing. The boat comes packaged with a Honda 4-stroke motor. What HP should I pick ?
    Boat, trailer and 40 HP honda = $14,000
    Boat, trailer and 50 HP honda = $14,600
    Boat, trailer and 75 HP honda = $16,800
    honda does not offer a 60HP
    I was hoping to stay under 15K – top of my budget – I know this is small for a good sport fish boat but the price seems right to get into a dual walk-thru console.
    Since my kids are now old enough I would like to try water skiing with them. My big question is can I water-ski on the 50 with the kids? What about minimun HP for skiing with adults?
    – BTW this is a great forum

Don Hanson

For your application go with the highest hp you can. Through many years of rigging boats, under powering them is the # 1 mistake people make.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I agree with Don, get the 75.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Strike three your getting the 75

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

Dual Console / Extra Gear from kids / Water Skiing: all this equates to extra weight. Not to mention the hole shot to pull adults out of the water. I agree with all other posts, MAX the HP. It will pay for itself in the long run… Plus interest rates are very low. Good luck

nick
    Lakeville, MN

You might wish you had the 50 when you make the payment, but I agree with all others here, you will never kick yourself out of the water Bite the bullet, sell a kid No, no don’t do that Just kidding man, 2k more on a payment is pretty small change really, and worth every single penny.

And anyways didn’t you want us to tell you to buy the 70

mojemann
    Concord, MA

Thanks for all the input,
    This is the first boat I have owned so I appreciate all the help. How hard is it to upgrade the motor at a later date. I know it will cost me twice as much as doing it now, but are their any other major problems with upgrading to a 75 or a 90 a few years down the road?
    – thanks

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I know it’s a tough decision and it’s your money but I suggest going with the 90 NOW. You will not regret it.

newt
    Pillager, MN

Get the 75. I have a 16′ boat with a 50 on it and can pull the kids (15 & 12) and their cousins and my wife has managed to pull my fat out (with alot of struggle on my part) as well. If you ever would want to upgrade then I would go with the 75 now. I was looking at upgrading to a 75 a couple years ago and couldn’t get a very good deal even with trading in my 50. If it were me I’d pay a little extra and do the 75

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I would definitely go with the biggest motor the boat is rated for. You will not regret it. It costs a little more but remember the bigger motor will make your boat much easier to sell when the time comes for that.

Gator Hunter

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

You will need the horsepower with people in the boat and especially with sking. It will cost you several thousands of dollars ”less” to buy the 75 hp ”now” than what it will a couple years from now when you want to trade for the 75 hp and your motor is ”used” so its not worth as much on trade in time. This way you have what you want and don’t have to borrow again to get it. And rates are lower right now too.
    Thanks, Bill

yoda840
    Western North Carolina

I agree with all the good points already made …. and remember … larger engine at lower rpm (when you don’t need it) = better fuel economy …. you’ll not regret the higher power … but likely will regret the lower!
    barry

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Been there friend….I’ll make it uninamimous
    Get the 75!

alans
    Waterford, WI

WHEN IN DOUGHT, MAX IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Max out your Hsp. I wish i would have and I’m working on a new motor right now…Just because you have all the hsp doesn’t mean you have to use it 100% of the time , but it sure is nice to have it if you need it.

mojemann
    Concord, MA

Thanks for all the opinions. I guess I have no choice anymore but to go with a 75. Otherwise I will be out on the water muttering to myself how I should have listened to all of you! After a little more negotiation with the dealer they came up with a new Honda leftover 2003 75 with a full warranty for $900 less!
    – thanks

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Sounds like a great ride…you will be really glad you went with the 75. Congrats on the new boat!!!

2Fishy4U

If the boat is rated for a 90HP, go with a 90 now; forget about buying the 75HP and upgrading. Believe me, that will cost you $$$. A few years ago I was in a similar position when buying a Crestliner Fish Hawk. The boat was rated for a 90HP and I opted for a 70HP This was not a smart decision and I ended up trading for a 90HP a few years later. I sure I would have saved a few grand if I would have started with the 90HP.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.